2009 Tacoma - First Impressions

My first new vehicle in several years is a 2009 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Double Cab as seen here on Toyota's web site: http://www.toyota.com/tacoma/features.html?trim=7594. I'm "cost sharing" the truck with my daughter - a college freshman with a 275-mile commute along the "Sno Chi Minh Trail" (i.e. I80). We've now put about 1100 miles on the truck and initial impressions are excellent.

We bought the "Sport Package" for Sarah. She doesn't spend a lot of time off road and won't miss the locking rear diff. Besides, she considered the hood scoop mandatory. Highway use sees about 20.5 MPG at 70-75 MPH. Unlike some of my "Big 3" purchases, everything works - perfectly. The ride is surprisingly comfy for a shortish 4X4 truck. Noise levels are low. The JBL stereo kicks butt. Everything seems finished well. The seats are supportive on 400-mile drives. The only nit I can pick is the warning chime that erupts whenever the rear wheels spin. In a Wyoming winter, that happens often enough to send one off to read the owner's manual for a disconnect.

All in all, I now have a serious case of truck envy. Best regards from the Big Empty, ELN.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Sounds like a good truck. I'd be interested to know if you have any difficulties with the electric t-case in exteme cold conditions. When I was going to school in Laramie a friend with a Ranger 4x4 often could not get his T-case to work when the temps were well below zero.

Welcome to the boards! You said 275 miles to college - does that mean you live near Pinedale or maybe Lander/Riverton? Just curious. I know I'm not the only UW alumni on ExPo forums (UW Law, class of 2005.) but there aren't many of us! :D

Good morning Martin. I've had the truck in four wheel drive only once. The temp was about + 5 degrees. So far, so good.

Ed Newell, UW Law - 1981, Fremont County & Prosecuting Attorney, Lander, WY.

Martinjmpr said:
Sounds like a good truck. I'd be interested to know if you have any difficulties with the electric t-case in exteme cold conditions. When I was going to school in Laramie a friend with a Ranger 4x4 often could not get his T-case to work when the temps were well below zero.

Welcome to the boards! You said 275 miles to college - does that mean you live near Pinedale or maybe Lander/Riverton? Just curious. I know I'm not the only UW alumni on ExPo forums (UW Law, class of 2005.) but there aren't many of us! :D

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Wyoming Shooter said:
....she considered the hood scoop mandatory.
Smart girl.

Wyoming Shooter said:
Fremont County & Prosecuting Attorney, Lander, WY

Despite rumors to the contrary, it wasn't Ed's profession, but rather ExPo, where we first crossed paths. And I've been enjoying crossing paths with him ever since.

Happy Holidays to one of the good guys - :pROFSheriffHL:

KC - thanks for the kind words. I encourage all Expo members to visit Lander, experience the Winds and the Red Desert, and enjoy the best cheeseburger in the State of Wyoming at the Hitching Rack. You might just find KC and me thereabouts. Best regards from the Big Empty, ELN.

dustboy

Explorer
Lucky girl.

Some of us go out of our way to get the rear wheels to spin (see recent post). That could be a real nuisance.

Dustboy - I don't understand the purpose of the warning chime. I always feel the rear wheels break loose. The chime is a bit redundant and annoying. Sarah is in love with her new truck. I'm jealous and wondering just how much more I can afford to stimulate the economy.:smiley_drive: Best regards, ELN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles