Best in-home espresso maker

Scott Brady

Founder
I just landed a nice little deal and am looking to indulge just a bit.

What I want is a really nice espresso maker, something that allows for piped water and proper steam temp and pressure. Is there anything with some style and great quality (I.E., not made in China) for less than $800?

Anyone have this type of machine?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Scott, I am only familiar with the commercial ones, but you can places like the Great Indoors, Expo, etc. Not sure of the cost on any of the units they may have, but it could give you an idea.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Ahem . . .

espressozone_1908_3011242

$24.95

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Just kidding, sort of - those little things make perfect espresso. However, a friend of mine has a Rancilio Silvia, and it is totally cool (and made in Italy):

espressozone_1908_3207561

I think they're around $500.

blupaddler

Conspirator
MY suggestion...

http://www.illyusa.com/AB1666000/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=82#

This is a Francis Francis model X5. It works really well. We've had it for almost three years. I had an issue with the steam arm, but that was fixed under warranty, and I haven't had a problem since.

Regarding the price. I signed up for an espresso membership program.
http://www.illyusa.com/AB1666000/memberships/?K=M504
They deliver coffee to your door every month or every other month, your choice. The coffee is Illy. Stephanie might remember it from Italy. REALLY good coffee. Did I say that already?:confused: Also the price you pay to have the coffee delivered to your door is cheaper than going to the store and buying yourself, plus the store price has gone up.

Here is ours...

Last edited:

bj70_guy

Adventurer
Hmmm, so my first post to EP is about espresso machines - I guess that's fairly appropos!
Just wanted to say that while the Rancillio Silvia is a great machine, it doesn't plumb into your water source, if that's what you meant (rather than just wanting to be able to get hot water out of the steam wand).
For the money it's an excellent machine, but don't scrimp on the grinder! The Rancillio Rocky is very good too, and you should be able to get the pair for less than your planned price point. I have them both and they're great. Now get some Intelligentsia Black Cat espresso and be happy!

(coffee geek mode off...)

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
[sarcasm]
You guys take your coffee way to serious! :yikes:

I have a $15 Procter-Silex coffee pot on the counter, and a bottle of Baileys in the cabinet above it. My coffee needs are met, with an extra $770 to send to these guys

[/sarcasm]

Scott Brady

Founder
bj70_guy said:
Hmmm, so my first post to EP is about espresso machines - I guess that's fairly appropos!

(coffee geek mode off...)

Thanks for the coffee post :coffee:

Coffee is one of the three food groups, so it must be taken quite seriously.

Oh, and if you have a BJ70 :bowdown:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Scott,

I should know better than to read the threads you start by now...

Cool stuff usually seems to cost $$$:yikes:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
expeditionswest said:
Thanks for the coffee post :coffee:

Coffee is one of the three food groups, so it must be taken quite seriously.

And what are the other two? (like I need to ask....beer and beef!):chowtime:

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Scott was trying to convince us the other day that chocolate chip cookies are a bonafide "salad" food. He noted how many of the ingredients are derived from plant life. :rolleyes:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
BajaTaco said:
Scott was trying to convince us the other day that chocolate chip cookies are a bonafide "salad" food. He noted how many of the ingredients are derived from plant life. :rolleyes:

********! too funny.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz