Spare tire on hitch cargo carrier?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
thought?

I like the second option, BUT it this going to make getting into the back a real pain? Even with swing away carriers, on camping trips it's a lot of moving to get stuff out...

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
For some reason, they removed their price list from the site. If you're interested in buying one, you can contact steve@cbioffroadfab.com

I actually emailed him earlier this week for a quote because I want one for my Expedition Trailer. Once he gets back to me I'll post the price here. ...but I guarantee it won't be $700!

JamesDowning

Explorer
CBI just came out with a new model of carrier. Mine came in yesterday!
woohoo.gif
This new one has a pass-through receiver to allow you to hook up shackle brackets or even a mobile winch.

I just got mine in yesterday, but it is rock solid:
1.jpg

Note the pass thru receiver. Steve reinforced the central tube of the carrier to withstand recovery forces.

2.jpg

Instead of a hitch pin, the male end of the carrier is threaded. The bolts on either side are grade 8, and they take out all wiggle from that joint. Further back, you see the receiver tube. This is even cut at a angle to preserve the rear approach angle and act as a skid if necessary. Further up, you can see the tilt mechanism. This has a hand knob that allows you to tighten the carrier, and again get rid of rattles.

3.jpg

Use with the tire leaned back and the gate up. It's a bit of a tight squeeze around the hi-lift to get into the trunk, but it's certainly workable. (You can drop it even more if you don't have the recovery shackle attached.)

7.jpg

Overall I'm very pleased. If anyone is interested, Steve takes orders by e-mail (found on his website http://cbioffroadfab.com/) and then he makes them custom to your specifications. Plus, its a great value. I paid $320 with shipping included. He also offers a version with a license plate mount + light. Steve's produced a great product and delivered with great customer service!
cheers.gif

scottg

Observer
I have a hitchgate on my explorer, serves its purpose. Has its downsides.

Sticks out, depending on your setup. Cuts down rear departure angle. Once Its warmer out, I have plans to add on some things, like a gas can mount and some lights.

Picture140.jpg

Picture074.jpg

Picture039.jpg

pic035.jpg

pic075.jpg

pic079.jpg

pic076.jpg

It is strongly built, I'll give it that

ScottG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members