First Meal New Years Day. What's Yours?

Adventurer
Family still asleep...enjoying the silence while eating a bowl of black eyed peas and ham hocks (Hoppin John). I put it in the dutch oven before we went out last night and it's been simmering all night. Yum!:chowtime:

Made two dutch ovens worth since I always over estimate my fixins.

Attachments

• Hoppin John 1.jpg
    Hoppin John 1.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Hoppin John 2.jpg
    Hoppin John 2.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 57

kellymoe

Expedition Leader
048642 said:
Family still asleep...enjoying the silence while eating a bowl of black eyed peas and ham hocks (Hoppin John). I put it in the dutch oven before we went out last night and it's been simmering all night. Yum!:chowtime:

X2
I'll be driving over to my parents later today for my good luck meal. My mom's family is from Tennessee and it's their family tradition.

bmonday

Adventurer
An oatmeal-raisin Clif bar and a glass of water. My personal trainer doesn't let me eat things like black eyed peas and ham :(

What's the black-eyed peas tradition? I recently moved to Oklahoma and seems everyone does it here for New Years.

Michael Slade

Untitled
Corn-beef hash that we made for Christmas Breakfast. We *started* with a 5lb corned-beef brisket... These leftovers are pure heaven. :eatchicke

Superu

Explorer
Portuguese sweet bread french toast with a steaming cup of hot chocolate. :coffee:

Followed by French meat pies for lunch at Mom & Dad's house! :chowtime:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
x3 - Hoppin' John is our New Years Day dinner for good luck.

048642 said:

telwyn

Adventurer
As a true Southerner should, I'm making hoppin john, collard greens and bbq pork. Can't wait to eat it!

98dango

Expedition Leader
2 45 am i had a twix

3 00 am i had a turkey sandwich

4.45 am more twix

7.45 am frozen pizza

i should eat better in the new year

we started out with toast, and found out we were out of bread. moved on to scrabled eggs, you guessed it only one egg in the container. the burger we went out and had for brunch was verry good.
note to self: buy more groceries in 2009

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
My wife thinks I'm Kinda goofy eating the Hoppin John, but thankfully I'm not the only one. However, she is not much on the ham hocks, so we cut up a ham steak for her. She also doesn't like collar greens, so we had spinach. Am I cheating?

Happy New Year.

taugust

Adventurer
Well, I'm a little late, but I had a breakfast potluck in the desert Truckhaven hills, west of the Salton Sea. I made a breakfast cassarole in the dutch oven, (sausage, hash browns, eggs, cheese). Also made some cinnamon rolls monkey bread in another DO. Perfect. Someone made blackeyed peas, so I had some too. My first taste and first exposure to the tradition. Blackeyed peas on New Years Day is supposed to be good luck. If I got it wrong, let me know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles