Ex Nazi Compound in Los Angeles. . .

kjp1969

Explorer
I'm not sure whether this really qualifies as an "expedition." It was really just a day hike, without the long distance travel or adversity that usually accompanies a proper quest. But it did include a good bit of history and artifacts, and it makes a great day hike, especially with kids.

Here it begins: The destination was Murphy Ranch a plot of land in the Santa Monica Mountains surrounded in history and intrigue. It was purchased in the 1930s under a false name, and then developed into a self sufficient and relatively defensible military style compound.

Read the rest: http://mandamus.typepad.com/onefullplate/2009/01/nazis-real-ones-in-pacific-palisades.html

Thanks to Alan (terawanderer) for some insight on the area.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
Very cool...looks like someones been ravin in that basement!

6a00e54fa376c18834010536a0f088970c-800wi

Do-do-do-do-do-do-do
the system-is down.....the system-is down..
do-do-do-do-do-do-do

JeepinBear

Explorer
Miss R2FJ said:
Very cool...looks like someones been ravin in that basement!

6a00e54fa376c18834010536a0f088970c-800wi

Do-do-do-do-do-do-do
the system-is down.....the system-is down..
do-do-do-do-do-do-do

Too bad the kids have to see some of this "modern art" (i.e. look above the dudes head)

kjp1969

Explorer
JeepinBear said:
Too bad the kids have to see some of this "modern art" (i.e. look above the dudes head)

The whole inside of that place was so graffitti'ed up we didn't even notice it. I didn't even see it until you pointed it out. Plus, the oldest kids were 9, and really wouldn't have known what it was. If I ever print that photo, I'll do a little editing. Parental responsibility ALWAYS trumps historical accuracy :)

Edit- that photo was taken in the main level. The basement is down below, through the hatches that are visible in the floor. It was like a dungeon down there- there were a couple of staircases down to it, but you really couldn't stand up once you decended. There was trash everywhere, but it would have been way creepier without it.

rmarz

Adventurer
Kevin, cool find thanks for the link! There are some historical buildings and sites around San Diego off the beaten path with similar graffiti. The graffiti can be a way to 'read' the writing on the wall so to speak for that area. Here is a pic of some of our local graffiti that sent Teotwaki and I into a tailspin recently as we were prepping for the Anza trip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne