Suzuki Owners; Let's see your ExPo Trucks

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Wow, VERY clean install. How do you get at the clutch lever?

I was wondering the same thing. Can you still get at it for maintenance and to respool the cable?

Awesome how clean the install is though. I love hidden hitch mounts like that.

Im done except for threading the 80 feet of synthetic cable on there.

Thanks for the compliments! I like making clean installs and it is a buttload of extra work.

I fabbed a little lever to access the clutch and mounted the control cable socket on the from of the bumper fascia. As far as getting in to respool, I would have to drop the fascia again to get full access. I guess I'll just have to be diligent on the trail and get the cable back in carefully.

Free spool

Clutch engaged. I am going to shorten the knob a small amount to get it closer to the bumper when the clutch is engaged.

xcabo

My Respects Shapeshifter! One of the best and cleanest winch install on an original bumper I have seen.

A great metal work!

Cheers!

Shapeshifter

Restless Adventurer
Here it is all put together and ready to crash the Land Rover party at the Mendo Recce 20th anniversary run!

LHhIVW.jpg

m.tran

I just back from 3 days of playing in the mountains trails in my Suzuki Swift (daily driver). It was not fun. Why did I do it? I found a great plot of land to develop into my mountain getaway and small hotel. Deal is done on the plot. Ready to build. Only problem is 3km of rocky trails from the main paved roads to the plot. I'm going to need a work vehicle while I'm on site. The trail is pretty steep and rocky. The Swift barely made it over some sections. I had to get out and do some rock moving to get by. 3 shallow river crossings, with bridges but I've been told by the locals that those bridges have washed away in the past.

Vehicles are quite expensive here with import tariffs. I've found good reviews on Vitara and Samurai. They fit within my budget. Now i'm looking for some help on the build and maintenance of the vehicle. I'm looking at 2004 Vitara or 94-97 Samurai. I want to keep it simple and light since most of the driving will be hauling tools and people from town with only the last 3km of trails (perhaps the ability to tow a small trailer for heavier tools and materials. Please let me know recommendations on:

Suspension, Lift (how much? brands?), Tires (will go with All Terrain, sizes?) , Lights (i've found a shop that installs customs HID lighting so that shouldnt be a problem)

In terms of getting the vehicle in shape, are there any issues with these vehicles that I should stay away from? Obviously I wouldnt know where to start fixing until I buy a vehicle but it would good to know these issues in advance so i can stay away from the really bad cases.

I know that was a lot and probably not what you guys were looking for in the thread, but figured the crowd here would be my best source. Thanks a bunch!

Bergum

Adventurer
On a samurai? First good tires, then a locker. But you can drive it with a stock Sammy most likely..

4lo2go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior