Converting a standard cargo box to a camper

sprale

Observer
Has anyone considered converting the standard cargo box as opposed to custom-building or mounting a caravan? It seems a good starting point...

85400B.jpg

I've seen and helped on some projects, such as vans and buses (old-school hippies are really creative). These are probably more geared toward the used-bits buyer, such as I am. I see FG's on Craigslist occasionally and start thinking about it more. A pivot system would be out of the question without major reworking, though. A pass-through would be easier.

It may be easier to simply get a used FG, build a pivot frame and mount a used 16' camper to that. I'm thinking more along the lines of Carl Hunter's Bigfoot setup. (I'm cheap)

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
This guy in upstate NY did it. His was for sale last time I contacted him. It is a pretty simple conversion but he has used it for a while. It may be worth contacting him if you are interested in one because he has had it for sale for quite a while.

Attachments

• fuso ny.JPG
    fuso ny.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 856
  • fusony2.JPG
    fusony2.JPG
    117.8 KB · Views: 1,525

tamangel

Adventurer
How would a pass-thru work on a tilt cab model? re: chassis pivot, I wonder if you could have the work done on your chassis cab before it went to a local body/van builder/installer..?

Mike

Artists are here to disturb the peace...

Last edited:

HINO SG

Adventurer
Pretty much what I'm doing on my HINO; depending on the value of the box itself, I consider the main drawback to be that the floor weighs far more than it might need to.

ttravis5446

Adventurer
I worked on a Sterling with a tilt cab and a pass through that belonged to a local electrical contractor. The pass through was a rubber gasket that was kind of corugated. The Rubber was compacted between the cab and the box and cab when the cab was lowered and it sealed water tight. The Sterling was just a rebadged Mitsubishi and it looked like a dealer install.

xped

Adventurer
A friend and I converted a 99 FG with a cargo box to a camper and it turned out pretty good. We replaced the rear roll up door with a double door from a firetruck crew carrier. We got windows from a RV and cut away. The boxes are tough the only draw back is the floors are solid hardwood which is really heavy and the mounting system is not ideal for offroad. We really wanted to do a full pass thru to the cab but settled on removing the window and extending the box to meet the cab. I have yet to see a full pass thru, anyone out there done it? He wheels the truck hard, hauls dirtbikes in the back and make dump runs with it, very versatile. I'm jealous as my 4x4 van is no comparison to the size and comfort the box allows.

Northern

bump!

Just wanted to bump this ancient thread, but a very interesting idea. I've been wondering about this idea myself lately for doing a "ghetto" conversion using a stock cargo box. I'm wondering something......there are iveco's, mitsu's, isuzu's, etc out there by the bushel with low miles and cheap cheap cheap. Am I missing something? From everything I read in the diesel forums, the engines on these rigs are very reliable. Why so many so cheap? Are these at all appropriate for someone who doesn't need 4x4 but would like to occasionally travel the washboards of the nevada/arizona/calif desert? I'd motorbike into anything that was too hairy. Thanks!

-Josh
'58 GMC Fleetside
'93 Toyota Previa
'64 Clark Cortez

kerry

Expedition Leader
I've noticed the prices coming down on Craigslist. I think it's because lots of small businesses with box trucks are being hit hard by the recession.

haven

Expedition Leader
Kim and Don Greene started with a box truck body made by Unicell. They cut out doors and windows, and trimmed out the inside for expedition travel.
ev5.jpg

Construction photos here
http://www.questconnect.org/exp_veh_construction_3.htm

Photos of the finished vehicle here
http://www.questconnect.org/exp_veh_photos.htm

Kim and Don have been traveling almost continuously in the truck since 2004, visiting 69 countries so far. They have new destinations planned through 2011! Read about their travels on their web site, http://www.questconnect.org

HINO SG

Adventurer
I've noticed the prices coming down on Craigslist. I think it's because lots of small businesses with box trucks are being hit hard by the recession.

Havn't seen many particularly good deals myself but might be true.

Probably want to stay away from IVECO unless you get an extraordinary deal and really like working on trucks. They're not bad trucks but newest ones are 20 yrs. old now and parts are fairly expensive, if you can even get them.

Pophamrt1

Iveco Euroturbos actually have some trick features...

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but just a few comment on the US Iveco Euroturbos. Although the newest US models are only 1988-1990, there are some interesting features. The suspension uses very trick Parabolic springs, not rigid leaf springs. For 12-14k GVWR vehicles they have only 2 front leafs and 2 rear w/ a helper and a very comfortable ride. Suspension travel is huge… dropped one corner off a lift pad and got a first hand look at “articulation.”

The Iveco 5.9L turbo diesel is the predecessor to the Cummins 6BT (through Fiat owned IH), has standardized Bosch mechanical injection, relies on simple 3-wire electronics, and will run on just about anything (motor oil? Pain?). They have a reputation as a “million mile diesel.”

The automatic transmission is a 727 and has a massive fan covered cooler--parts are readily available and inexpensive. The tires/rims are a nice boost from 16” at 17.5”and not as cumbersome as 19.” They’re the same as low-boy haulers with E ratings and with dualies are overbuilt to 12-14k lbs on the rear axle. Wheel wells were engineered large enough to run 37x12.5 tires. Everything short of the cab is overbuilt to military standards… axles, differential, etc.

The cab is a different story. While well proportioned (larger than an NPR), It’s cheesy inside in a 1970s way. I stripped one to a bare shell, repainted black, installed sound deadening and carpet insulation, and then a leather BMW M3 power seat interior and new carpets, cloth panels and electric windows. I also updated the front grill with 2004 Rover Discover headlights, which fit perfectly and give it a modern appearance.

Parts are a mixed bag. They’re available in the US through Tom’s Truck Center in Los Angeles, but unbelievably expensive. A simple brake master cylinder that should be about $150-$200 is $1000 with a 3 month wait. However, there are crossover parts to US heavy trucks, such as wheel cylinders, master cylinder rebuild kits, etc., that are dirt cheap. Solutions to parts can be found for very little, and if not, sourced through Ebay UK or Germany for normal prices. And while parts are not great here in the US, in the rest of the world Iveco and its service network are on every continent, and dominant in many major countries.

Iveco also appears to be returning to the US Market this year. Fiat, it’s parent company, purchased Chrysler, who then summarily split off Dodge Trucks as an independent company and discontinued the Sprinter. At the same time, they announced that Iveco will be returning to the US market. We’ll likely see the Iveco equivalent to the Sprinter shortly as a Chrysler product.

The US Iveco Euroturbos may deserve a second look as a platform for an expedition vehicle or camper. As my chassis restoration approaches completion I’ll post some pictures.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but

No no. Don't be. Awesome reply. Thanks for the trouble. Got any pics of the one you revamped ?

IMO Best thing about a forum is that time means nothing in any thread.

regards John

Edit >> Just realized it's your first post.... far out, well done......and welcome.

Last edited:

Pophamrt1

Thanks for the welcome, and glad to add some information--I've been reading the archives for quite some time. I'll try to post some pictures of the Iveco in the next week or two. The truck is an "as time permits" project so nothing happens quickly. :')

dentedvw

Wire twister
Another resurrection, I would love to see the pictures. I recently jettisoned my converted vehicle, and am thinking in this direction.

LivelyZach

This is also the direction I'm leaning as well.Chances are I won't be doing any world class expeditions where the need for many of the commercial offerings would be needed.I'm content with full time RVing across the USA during my retirement ,but I've always craved the offbeat locations that are usually offroad as well and has been noted elsewhere ,most commercially produced RVs simply won't last for long off road.I drove commercial trucks for many years and have always been impressed with the punishment commercial vehicles have to withstand ,and I'm more than a little surprised that more of these truck bodies haven't found their way on the back of FG's.

I've considered the Casita and Bigfoot kind of conversions,but I've also seen first hand what happens to fiberglass if it recieves a severe enough jolt...watching a section of my roof or a sidewall disintegrate after "touching" an inmoveable object ,while out in the middle of no where isnt my idea of fun times.The floors of these commercial truck bodies were designed to haul heavy loads ,nevermind support the forklifts used to load them.The sidewalls are built extra tough to contain cargo when it shifts (which it frequently does)as well as the errant forklift scrapping up against it .It seems to me ,commercial truck bodies would be the first consideration of serious off roaders ...but from what I've seen on these forums ,very few have given them serious consideration.This is the first thread I've found even mentioning them.I'll keep you'all posted what I come up with ,should I go this route.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles