Best One Pot Meals

paulj

Expedition Leader
For a 3mth Alaska trip, with 3 of us, I used a 4qt Presto pressure cooker. Stove on that trip was a 2 burner Coleman.

In recent years I've been using a Trangia alcohol stove set. The windscreen limits what pots I can use. But I found that the smallest Hawkins (India) (1.5L) fits just right. It has enough volume to make a stew for 2 people with no leftovers.

Keep in mind that a pressure cooker shouldn't be filled more than 2/3 for 'lumpy' items, or 1/2 for soups.

GSI Outdoors distributes a hard anodized 3.5L pressure cooker that is relatively compact (not projecting handle). REI has been selling that for years.

I'm thinking of getting a 6qt stainless steel cooker, which would give me more room to prepare items in an insert bowl (puddings, etc). Presto has the best price, and replacement seals are readily available. Spanish Fagor is also attractive. Most other European models are much more expensive. But a pot this size would be too big for me to use it while camping.

Last edited:

Super Doody

Explorer
I've never liked frozen beans. If I do chili I make the chili sans beans then add a can red kidney beans.

Or I make chili mac.

Brown 1/2Lb of ground beef with 1 med chopped onion in a big pot, add seasoning and 1/2 a bag of elbow macaroni, a large can of chopped tomatoes and a can of beef broth. Simmer, adding broth or water as needed, until the mac is cooked.

Why not just a can of chilli to cooked macaroni and mix :sombrero:

paulj

Expedition Leader
On one geology field trip, we stopped at a grocery, and everyone was told to buy a can of chili. These were all thrown into a communal pot.

But, is there a good can of chili? Most seem to be slightly spiced beans, with undefinable bits of meat thrown in for marketing purposes. Years ago S&W made a canned black bean chili "Makin's" that made a decent start for chili. In recent years I've only seen the pinto bean version.

taugust

Adventurer
I used to love the "Chili Makins'" can, although I have never seen the black bean version. I still occasionally see them in the store, but I can't say where.

On one geology field trip, we stopped at a grocery, and everyone was told to buy a can of chili. These were all thrown into a communal pot.

But, is there a good can of chili? Most seem to be slightly spiced beans, with undefinable bits of meat thrown in for marketing purposes. Years ago S&W made a canned black bean chili "Makin's" that made a decent start for chili. In recent years I've only seen the pinto bean version.

The Stompin' Steakhouse Chili at Safeway/Vons is really very good. It's made in/near the deli area. King Soopers/Kroger has a similar chili, not as good, but still good.

craig

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
In winter, or on challenging all-day type wheeling trip, easy 1-dish easy cleanup meals are nice. Here are a few I've made in the past that can be prepped in no-time flat.

1. Tasty Bites Jaipur Vegetables. Boil in a bag food available for $2 a pouch online. Tastes like you are eating out.

Pour water in a pot
Bring the water to a boil with the pouch inside.
Once hot, pull the pouch out and eat directly from the pouch.
Eat with Pita bread on the side.

Use the clean hot boiling water to make a cup of tea.

2. Ivar's New England Style Clam Chowder in a sourdough bread bowl. Heat the soup directly on the stove. Pour into the bread bowl. Eat the bowl or feed it to the dog if you are stuffed.

3. Tortellini - Boil water in a pot, cooking the tortellini. Drain out the water. Pour a little alfredo over the top and keep stirring (possibly even removing from the heat).

4. Grilled cheese using pre-sliced tillamook cheese and squirt "I can't believe it's not butter".

I prefer to make something good, partially prepped at home, but in the cold, after a late arrival with hungry kids, or taking a break during a winch-fest it's always nice to have a 5 minute meal handy.

Last edited:

hochung

Adventurer
I recommend shabu shabu.

with some of this:

3162706410_ba7bd243a7.jpg

Tumbleweed

Adventurer
For many years now, my wife and I cook a large batch of chili, stew, or spaghetti sauce in the 36 qt. slow cooker at home. We then put it into 1 gallon ziplock freezer bags and lay them on their side in the freezer. We put just enough in each bag for one meal for the two of us. Come time to camp or even at home, pull the frozen bag out in the am, come noon or eve. it is thawed and ready to just heat up. The bags stack well and take up little room in an ice chest. They will also help to keep other things in the chest cold.
A year ago, I bought a Coleman slow cooker that is powered by the small green 16 oz. propane bottles. This thing is handy and heats very fast. Around $55 at Walmart. Watch the heat, you can burn stuff to the bottom of the pan. Also does work well for pot lucks.

jeepmedic46

Expedition Leader
Chili or baked beans. Frozen in ziplock bags and thawed out during the day. reheated on the coleman.:camping:

EdoHart

Observer
Tuna "Casserole"

1 - box macaroni and cheese mix
1 - 6 oz can tuna in oil (do not drain the oil)
1 - can mixed vegetables, drained (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste.

Boil the macaroni in a sufficient amount of water. When it is tender enough to eat, drain the water, and then add the tuna in oil and the dried cheese mix. Stir with a fork until all the powdered cheese stuff is well dissolved. Add the can of vegetables (optional). Add pepper if desired.

You may have to return it to heat for a minute or two. Continue to stir occasionally.

Cleanup: If you have a dog handy, place pot on ground for 5 minutes, then put away. Do this in front of those annoying people who are always bumming meals from you and they're likely not to return.:Wow1:

EdoHart

Observer
Hash - everything is optional expect the skillet.

2 oz - cooking oil (corn, peanut, olive). This may be optional for a well seasoned skillet, though I still suggest it.
1 - large or 2 small russet potatoes diced into 1/2" to 3/4" cubes (optional)
1 - yellow onion diced into 1/2" or 3/4" rounds (optional)
1 - red onion prepared the same as the yellow onion (optional)
1 - bell pepper (I prefer red), remove the seeds and dice into 1/2" to 3/4 in squares. (optional).
6 oz - mushrooms diced into 1/2 to 3/4 inch cubes (optional).
4 - 16 oz Meat - what ever you have available. I prefer pork and/or turkey and/or chicken sausage , but beef, squirrel, rabbit, or other meats substitute just as well. (optional)
1-4 eggs. (optional)
2-3 slices of cheese or a few ounces of processed cheese spread. (optional)
Just about any other food item(s) you have on hand. (optional)

Heat 10" cast iron skillet. Add cooking oil and immediately add potatoes (if that is one of your ingredients). Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Add onions and bell peppers and meat if it is not fully cooked already. Cover and let simmer of about 5 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Add mushrooms, cover and let simmer for about 1-2 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Spread the hash out to evenly cover the bottom of the skillet. Crack the eggs on top of the hash. Add about 2-4 ounces of water and cover. The steam will help to cook the eggs which are by now about 1 1/2 inches away from the heat. Let cook for another minute of two.

Place slices of cheese or processed cheese spread on the top of cooked eggs.

Serving suggestion: Place hash on a tortilla, add salsa and/or sour cream, and then roll into a burrito.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
You just can't beat a fried egg and hash browns, both made in the same skillet. A single potato shredded on a cheap-o dollar store grater thing (?) is good.

And a grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup heated in in the can is good too.

I like a good cast iron skillet because if it is seasoned properly all you have to do to clean it is wipe it out with a warm damp wash cloth, no soap required. And I like my bamboo cookware with my cast iron, only a few bucks from walmart for a whole set. Dutch ovens are great too, you can use the lid as a frying pan sometimes. I've never used an aluminum one, but that might be something interesting to try.

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I can't believe that no one has mentioned chili verde, aroz con pollo, or Chiopino. Hmmm.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Crap in a pan

2 boxes Mac&Cheese
1/2 pack of Nathans Hot Dogs

Make mac & cheese (prefer velveeta ourselves)
slice hot dogs, dump into above Mac&Cheese
Add broccoli for a raging good time in the sleeping bag later that night (the wife will appreciate the radiant heat, really)
Heat
Enjoy

slimtwo

Adventurer
Anybody ever fix something called stew pockets?
you take some foil, add a hamburger paddy, then put your choice of veggies and potatoes and stuff, then season to your taste.
Oh I forgot to mention that you need to build a fire and get a good bunch of coals going first.
After you have added everything you wanted, wrap it all up in the foil and place it right on the coals.
15 minutes on one side, then flip to the other side for the same time and Walla! Stew pockets, you eat it right off the foil, and to do the dishes, just through it away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles