Best One Pot Meals

Abel Villesca

Explorer
Anybody ever fix something called stew pockets?
you take some foil, add a hamburger paddy, then put your choice of veggies and potatoes and stuff, then season to your taste.
Oh I forgot to mention that you need to build a fire and get a good bunch of coals going first.
After you have added everything you wanted, wrap it all up in the foil and place it right on the coals.
15 minutes on one side, then flip to the other side for the same time and Walla! Stew pockets, you eat it right off the foil, and to do the dishes, just through it away.

BTDT! Good eating with the right seasoning.

Aggie

Adventurer
you take some foil, add a hamburger paddy, then put your choice of veggies and potatoes and stuff, then season to your taste.
Oh I forgot to mention that you need to build a fire and get a good bunch of coals going first.
After you have added everything you wanted, wrap it all up in the foil and place it right on the coals.
15 minutes on one side, then flip to the other side for the same time and Walla! Stew pockets, you eat it right off the foil, and to do the dishes, just through it away.

We did those as kids but called them Hobo Packets. Definitely one of my favs!:sombrero:

Aggie

Adventurer
BTW just wanted to thank everyone for the great ideas in this thread. We are taking a 4 day weekend this weekend to do some wheeling and camping, and because of this thread I made up a huge pot of chili that has been frozen for saturday night dinner. I am looking forward to it! :D

slimtwo

Adventurer
BTW just wanted to thank everyone for the great ideas in this thread. We are taking a 4 day weekend this weekend to do some wheeling and camping, and because of this thread I made up a huge pot of chili that has been frozen for saturday night dinner. I am looking forward to it! :D

Hey that sounds good right now, I love Chilli! But ya gotta have cornbread to go with it. Yum!!

slimtwo

Adventurer
Has anybody tried Omelets in a bag? It makes a great breakfast.

You start by boiling water in a good sized pot, and while that is heating up, start preparing all the stuff you like to put in your omelets, and then you get a good quality zip-lock bag and add two eggs. Next you knead the bag until the eggs are well mixed. Now add all the stuff you prepared that goes in your omelet. By now the water should be hot, so just drop the bag in the hot water (make sure to fold the top of the bag over inside the pot, or it will melt). The nice thing about this is like the stew pockets, it’s a do-it-yourself project. You set up an assembly line, and let everyone put what they want in their omelet. And you can put several bags in the pot, so they can all cook at the same time.

It makes having breakfast fun, especially in a group setting.

Happy Trails!

G-force

Adventurer

Oh, i have a version of this one, learned from my kids kindergarden!!

Put carrots, brockolies, potatoes, leaks (?) and salmon(!!) on two sheets of tin foil. Keep the pices of salmon, slightly larger than the potatoes and carrots. This to get all ready at the same time. Season with Lemon-peppers, salt and some nice butter. Wrap up and put the packs on hot coal for about 20 minutes, unwrap and enjoy!!

My mouth waters just writing this.:chef:

The kids pack these "Pirate packs" themselves, before going on daytrips with the "Kindergarden gang".They love it.

PS: My mother says only to use Norwegian salmon, if obtaineble . . . . . . .

Last edited:

paulj

Expedition Leader
tastybite.com is an Indian company that makes a number of dishes, Indian and Thai in style, that are packed in shelf stable foil pouches (e.g. soft cans). They can be warmed by immersing the pouch in boiling water (5min) or can be warmed in a pot or microwave out of the pouch. I've seen them in a number of places, import shops, regular groceries, Trader Joes has something similar with their own label. My Indian neighbors just got a box of 6 from Costco - they thought the sample was pretty good, though not hot by their standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94