Best One Pot Meals

adrenaline503

Explorer
So we are of to Prescott from Seattle in a few days and tomorrow is food prep day! Since is going to be cold, what is everyone's best one pot meals? It will just be the wife and me.

Thanks.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I like bringing the pressure cooker as my "one pot" and you simply can't beat beef stew for comfort food.

You can save loads of time by cutting up your carrots, onions, celery, bell peppers, etc. that you will use during the trip. Just put them in zip lock bags and you are good to go. Any of the hardier veggies can be done this way in advance.

paulj

Expedition Leader
calamaridog said:
... Any of the hardier veggies can be done this way in advance.
Fennel bulb is one of those hardier veggies that travels well. Sliced thin it works as a salad ingredient; in larger pieces it works in stews. For some reason, it's been selling at good price of late.

I agree with the pressure cooker advice. I took a small Indian one (1.5L) on trip around Idaho last summer, and made good use of it using inexpensive cuts of local beef.

My personal favorite one pot meal is a good ol' beef stew with red wine. All ingredients (Beef, Red Peppers, Yellow Onions, carrots, tons of garlic and nice full bodied red wine) can be easily prepped and either vacuum packed or simply Ziplocked. Very easy to make in one of these...
%7BDF3B47C2-6C7E-4D68-85E0-4E7EDAED613B%7D_L8DD3

Our new not so dutch oven. 5 Quarts and the lid doubles as a frying pan.

Remember to brown the beef in a very hot pan first, essential for flavor development... a little Worcestershire helps.

shahram

Adventurer
Simple fish soup

shellfish (I like shrimp in the shell, or clams and mussels, but any fish will do)
garlic
shallots
herbs (cilantro, chili, parsley, bay leaf)
white wine
veggies (carrots, onions, squash)
broth/stock
salt/pepper
rooster sauce

Combine shellfish, white wine, garlic, shallots and herbs in pot, put on fire, bring to boil. When shells are open (or shrimp are pink), stir in broth, then add veggies. Simmer. Salt and pepper, rooster sauce to taste.

jatibb

Adventurer
chicken yasa, look it up. yes it can be made all in one pot. muliple variations can be done or turn it into a african chicken soup..

MisterTinkle

Adventurer
I'm a wee bit lazy on the type of trip you are taking... I find it very simple to fix a pot of chili at home, freeze if you wish, and then just heat it in a single pot to eat. When we are REALLY lazy, we eat it directly out of the pot with a couple of spoons. Less to clean up.

Multi-day trip? Fix multiple types of one pot meals before you go: stew, chili, burrito stuffing, ...

Last edited:

cruisertoy

Explorer
Forget the pot. Get a can of Chilli, open it up and put it directly on a small stove. Heat it up slowely so it doesn't overflow. Once heated, pour half the can into a single serving bag of Frito's. When your done eating, throw everthing away. When your good you won't even dirty a utensil. I guess I'm pretty lazy.

KG6BWS

Explorer
cruisertoy said:
Forget the pot. Get a can of Chilli, open it up and put it directly on a small stove. Heat it up slowely so it doesn't overflow. Once heated, pour half the can into a single serving bag of Frito's. When your done eating, throw everthing away. When your good you won't even dirty a utensil. I guess I'm pretty lazy.

hehehehe....i like that!!! thats my kind of cooking!!! when youre one of those people who can screw up boiling water, this is the kind of stuff you look for.

rusty_tlc

Explorer
I've never liked frozen beans. If I do chili I make the chili sans beans then add a can red kidney beans.

Or I make chili mac.

Brown 1/2Lb of ground beef with 1 med chopped onion in a big pot, add seasoning and 1/2 a bag of elbow macaroni, a large can of chopped tomatoes and a can of beef broth. Simmer, adding broth or water as needed, until the mac is cooked.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
cruisertoy said:

You sir are a genious! You got my wheels turning, I'm thinking dintymore beef stew in a bag of classic lays potato chips...:chowtime:

firemansxterra

Adventurer
cruisertoy said:

don't forget a little bit of sprinkled cheese on top of the hot chili...frito chili pies are what we call them...so good!

cruisertoy

Explorer
Like I said, it's a little tricky to heat in the can, but most of the time there isn't a problem. sometimes you can remove a fork full of chilli from the can first and throw it in the chip bag. Then heat the can. The hot Chilli will heat up the fork full when you put it in the bag.

calamaridog said:
I like bringing the pressure cooker as my "one pot" and you simply can't beat beef stew for comfort food.
Hey Calamaridog, I was considering purchasing a pressure cooker for our travels which one are you using... Sorry adrenaline503 this is kind of a thread jacking, but a pressure cooker would be a great way to make very quick and tasty one pot meals... which is relevant to the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz