Locker vs Open

seashore

Observer
I love my detroit in the rear.

just make sure you upgrade the rear half shafts at the same time...

Ron B

Explorer
Interesting comparison -- I know little about Rovers, do they use torsens (I've heard many use torsens up front and a detroit in the rear)? Would btm help in that situation?

This video is certainly not meant to slam, but it's similar to videos posted of ill-equipped vehicles or inexperienced drivers with a blanket comment like "see they suck."

rb

jh504

Explorer
I was running a 6.5" lift in my XJ with open diffs. I never really had a problem and was always able to articulate over everything, keeping my tires planted firmly on the ground. I hardly ever had tire spin. Now I have moved into an IFS Toyota 4runner and I think a locker is going to definitely be a necessity.

One thing I have noticed in my own personal experience is that if I am only running one locker, I want it to be the front. While a single locker in the back is definitely a good thing, a single locker in the front will help you climb up and over any objects in your path.

firemanshort

Cdl

Does that Rangie have a center diff-lock? I am a Stage One guy so I do not know much about fancy coil-spring things.

michaels

Explorer
after a winch, a rear locker (toy e-locker and rovertracks axles) is the next big mod. it pains me to just dig holes in the ground. i also hate spinning my tires all day. it's just too stressful on the truck.

James86004

Expedition Leader
There are lots of reasons that second Rangie could have had problems. Bad tires, poorly chosen line, it sure looked to me like the driver didn't understand what finesse was.

Range Rovers from 1970 to 1988 had a center diff lock. From 1989 to 2002 they had center diffs locked by a viscous coupling. From 2003 they had a torsen center diff.

From 1992 or 3 they had traction control on the rear wheels, and a few years later they got it on all 4. I think the current crop has an LSD in the rear axle.

DiscoveryXD

Adventurer
Lockers do make a huge difference. I'm running GBR stuff up front with an ARB and toy 30 spline e-locker rear. Selectable lockers are the way to go....

eleblanc

Adventurer
if you really want to see the difference, just do like me, get a ARB front and rear! then you have tons of opportunaties to found out.

Here is me showing how just a rear locker make a difference, first attempt, no lockers, second rear. My guess with the front locked alsom there wouldn't have been any wheel spin or almost none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnbBFt1qm-s

jh504

Explorer
eleblanc said:
if you really want to see the difference, just do like me, get a ARB front and rear! then you have tons of opportunaties to found out.

Here is me showing how just a rear locker make a difference, first attempt, no lockers, second rear. My guess with the front locked alsom there wouldn't have been any wheel spin or almost none.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnbBFt1qm-s

This video is good because he uses the same line, and it is the same driver. The truck even has the same type of bounce and loss of traction.

eleblanc

Adventurer
jh504 said:
This video is good because he uses the same line, and it is the same driver. The truck even has the same type of bounce and loss of traction.

BTW i notice your comment in your earlier post, i would highly not recommend using only a front locker. I have one and only use it if really necessary, on one occasion the font locker cost me a serious cut in a tire and almost a roll. And on multiple occasion i got the front end side ways and almost with a roll.

I learned my lesson without serious damage (yes my fenders have meet with plenty trees and have many scars now) and i am carefull. The front end has a tendancy to go side ways in steep and loose stuf when the front is locked

Last edited:

jh504

Explorer
eleblanc said:
BTW i notice your comment in your earlier post, i would highly not recommend using only a front locker. I have one and only use it if really necessary, on one occasion the font locker cost me a serious cut in a tire and almost a roll. And on multiple occasion i got the front end side ways and almost with a roll.

I learned my lesson without serious damage (yes my fenders have meet with plenty trees and have many scars now) and i am carefull. The front end has a tendancy to go side ways in step and loose stuf when the front is locked

I do understand your point, and I agree with the effects that front lockers have. Driving with any kind of locker is very technical and shouldnt be taken lightly, as you pointed out. I dont see how having an open rearend changes the effects the front locker is going to put on the vehicle though. I have owned vehicles with only the rear locked and my trail partners rig is locked front and back. We have put the front locker on that rig to use far more than the rear. The best plan of action is to do as you have done and lock it all around. But if I could only choose one, I would put it in the front, and use it cautiously.
I guess also its going to depend on what kind of terrain someone is running. Here we mostly see rock with some mud thrown in the mix.

That brings up another thing. One thing I liked about running my open diff XJ was that on those narrow mountain passes having only two wheels spinning meant that I had two wheels that were holding me from slidding sideways. If your locked all around and it gets hairy and your tires break loose you could end up where you dont want to be. Anyone ever purposely not engaged a locker for situations like that?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
jh504 said:
If your locked all around and it gets hairy and your tires break loose you could end up where you dont want to be. Anyone ever purposely not engaged a locker for situations like that?

Yes, just yesterday in snow I had this happen. Jeep went sideways towards a ravine, wife (who was driving) reached for the locker switch and I said no way, it will just crab walk us straight into the ditch!

However, I have done the opposite. I recently attended a Bill Burke training event (DirtyToySchool) where he had students drive down into a gully, then reverse out with the lockers, causing the truck to pivot on the rear, and realigning the truck to where it could be driven forward again. Pretty cool.

Selectable lockers are the way to go IMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier