Rear tire mount questions.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I'm gearing up to build some rear carriers for our 62 and 80 series Land Cruisers.

Do those of you with tires on the back have visibility issues if they are toward the passenger side or center? I would think that behind the driver would be best, but I would like to gather as much input as possible before welding.

One Love,
Dave

IH8RDS

Explorer
Dave, I felt pretty comfortable with the carrier in the center as low as possible. You could still see with the rear view and to the left and right of the tire. If some one is right up on you you couldn't see them though, but thats what brake lights are for.

Scott

miller_au

Adventurer
My rear tyre is mounted on the drivers side, have never really had a issue with field of vision, however i have just purchaded a reversing camera similar to this one...

Reversing-Camera-Ca-9880-.jpg

now i can see everything including my tow ball when hooking up the trailer.. cheap as chips too!

Good luck with the build, make sure you give us plenty of pics along the way!

Hilux_Max

Adventurer
Ill be watching this aswell, as Im gearing up to build me own rear wheel carrier too for my hilux.

I think Ill be making more of a swing out "gate" style carrier and mount the 285 tyre in the centre with enough room for possibly a 34 or 35 tyre down the track but not to reduce departure angle at all.

Heres a good link for an 80 series buildup on IH8MUD forum, gave me some really good ideas -

http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/250063-my-rear-tyre-carrier-build-up-woooh.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior