The "Expedition hat" thread

Checked out the Tilley website. Very nice hats, however they're a bit much for my modest budget. I found a really great one at the Rainforest Cafe of all places when I was in Anehiem, but I don't know the brand :(

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
This time of year, one of these is the only way to go!

AAAAAnBszXMAAAAAAIfJ5w.jpg

Pic courtesy google. Mine is all fur, purchased from a street vendor in NYC, of all places!

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Backwoods Rambler said:
Very nice hats, however they're a bit much for my modest budget.
That's my feeling, too. Tilley hats seem like they are nice, but not spending $80 is easy to when surplus places have real poly/cotton boonie hats for around $10~$12. A couple of years ago I picked up a couple when the place near me was selling them 3 for $20. That was right around the time the ACUPAT and MARPAT utilities were being rolled out and so apparently they were flooding on the market with desert and woodland patterns as they replaced the DCUs and BDUs. Beauty is I don't mind using the stash of boonies working outside getting sweaty, dirty, working on a roof or swinging hammers, getting nasty during vehicle repairs or recoveries, backpacking, dunking them in water to cool you down. They last forever.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
I got a great Mill Surplus jungle hat that I use year round and is espescialy good on rafting trips. It's got a map pocket and shotgun shell rings around the body of the hat. I've never used them, but hey it's nice to know I've got a place for ammo should I ever need it eh ;) HAHAHA

I also have a really nice Akubra that I bought to work in while in Australia. They're pretty expensive but beautifuly made, along with Bundstones they're pretty much a staple item out on cattel stations and in the bush. It is a great hat for really hot sunny climates and even though it is quite thick and made of heavy felt it stays quite cool because of the large ammount of space above your head. Plus it's like having yur own tree to atand underneath in terms of shade. It's really nice.

This is pretty much what it looks like except I made a custom hat band out of an aluminium fence wire-tie.
Bronco.jpg

Cheers

Dave

Bergger

Explorer
For warm weather I go with a Columbia Bora Bora Boonie Hat. I've been wearing one for years and it is by far my favorite hat. Very comfortable and can be stuffed into a pocket or backpack very easily.
f_56521_1.jpg

I also have an Ultimate Products Inc. Original Khaki Hat. Great hat, I like it better than the Tilley but if I had to choose one I'd still take the Columbia hat over both of them.

212-00204-2.jpg

JeepN95YJ

Adventurer
I've got a Tilley as well. Going on 10 years. I used to use it a lot when we were boating too. It makes a great floating beer cozy!

:ylsmoke:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I can't help, since I like the large brimmed hats (sunburn easy, family history of skin cancer, multiple burns at a young age, balding, etc.)

I seem to collect 'tourist' hats.

The first say's "Costa Azul" on it

The second say's "Hawaii" (I forgot to bring my Costa Azul one)

The third one say's "Cancun" (I forgot to bring along either of the first two)

Then another "Hawaii" hat,

etc...

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Being Bald, or Folically Challenged;) You'll almost never see me in the sunlight without some sort of hat on.

Not that I'm trying to hide the bald head, I have no problem with that, I've just heard too many medical reports about how bad it is to let your scalp get sunburned. OUCH!! It causes a headache for a few days I've learned the hard way.

One thing to remember, I have one of the Boonie Hats with with mesh on the sides to keep the head cool, and hiking one day in the full sun, came home with a nasty sunburn on the sides of my head that had a nice mesh pattern in it:yikes:

If I know we're going to be in the sun all day, I now also put a bandana on the ol' noggin too.

364918984_Hvcvp-L-3.jpg

Last edited:

jim65wagon

A few years ago we were in Gander Mountain, shopping for hats. I never wore hats before, but with my follicles becoming more and more challenged it became a necessity. So, here we were, picking hats...I look like a total goofball in a baseball cap; some people can pull them off - even to the point of redneck chic; but I can't. Found one I looked good (I hope) in, walked up to the register and DING! "That'll be 74 dollars" :yikes: still, I bought it, wear it a lot, I go fishing - it floats down the river; I retrieve it. I go canoeing - it floats down the river; I retrieve it. I go swimming in the ocean - it floats on the waves; I retrieve it. See a pattern? Hats that float are good, I wear a Tilley too.

3171146777_8d1ea1b23b_m.jpg

Last edited:
Ohhh, that's nice !!! It's pushing the budget a bit far, but perhaps strikes a nice balance and is worth saving a bit more for.

Bergger said:
I also have an Ultimate Products Inc. Original Khaki Hat. .....

212-00204-2.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz