The "Expedition hat" thread

Yes, the Safari hat....

KAR0002.jpg

I'll be honest, I know that these aren't necessary all the time, but when I'm on hikes and generally out an about exploring on a camping or wheeling trip, these come in really handy for keeping the sun off your neck and face.

I haven't owned one in a few years and am looking for a narrow rimmed version. What brand style do you use and where can I find it online?

jh504

Explorer
I picked one up a little while back at our local military surplus store. It is the narrow rimmed version. Mine is digital desert but they had black, khaki, blue, and all the other camo paterns as well. I think it was only $14.00.

michaels

Explorer
back wards kavu visor works for me. it generally gets use as a head-band to keep the hair from going everywhere and acts as an optional hat just in case.

SAR_Squid79

Explorer
I like hats. I have a variety of hats that I wear when out wheeling / camping / hiking.

My old stand-by is my issue desert-cam floppy hat:

Another of my favorites is my Confederate Cavalry Officer's hat:

Troy.jpg

And - FOR YEARS & YEARS - I've been lusting after a real genuine Aussie Slouch Hat, but I haven't decided to pony up the $150 for it yet. If I ever get one, that will become my standard "Expedition Hat".​

Last edited:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
As to whether they are necessary all the time, well, for me and others who are "hair follicle challenged" :D and considering the number of skin cancers I cut off people every month, I'd say, yes, they are.

I, too, have a Tilley Airflo. Great here in the summer heat.
Also a generic canvas "safari hat" that I wear more in the winter for added warmth.
EDB_6826b.jpg

Then of course there's my trusty smilie safari hat...
safari.gif

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Another vote for Tilley hats. I must have 6 ot 7 different hats but I usually gravitate back to the Tilley because it is so comfortable and functional.

Bad shot for the hat but it's all I could find. :elkgrin:

Dec282008051.jpg

98dango

Expedition Leader
my nephew and i

DSCF1729.jpg

outhere hats would include

well same hat just camo jeep camo dodge and camo toyota

my lovely lady in here hat

DSCF1523.jpg

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
I usually wear a baseball hat. I have a closet full of all sorts of full-brim hats, but I keep going back to either my OJ hat or a faded blue fitted baseball hat I bought back in '96 or so. It's pretty much purple now from the sun.

I always carry a boonie hat of some type for the rain or sun, but rarely use them.

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
You know how sometimes you put something on and you just look silly in it?

Thats me and safari hats. I can't find one that doesn't look odd on me. So, I am relegated to baseball caps or the Fidel style hats in the truck.
Once out of the truck I usually go to a cowboy hat for full coverage.
The cowboy hat still looks funny on me, but somehow I enjoy it so. :pROFSheriffHL:

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Another Tilley Hat Fan

These days, I use a Tilley Hat or a baseball cap most of the time. (Being, as I am, follicle challenged.)

N.B. Tilley really will replace your hat if you destroy it.

Replacement hat:
105991663.jpg

Last edited:

ExpoMike

My primary cooler weather hat is a Tilley T3 model, which I love but also found it to be too hot in warmer months. I tried a Tilley T3 Airflow but found it did not cool enough for me. I ended up with a DPC mesh vented hat, which is a little larger brim then my Tilley and vents very well.

So basically I have two different hats depending on what conditions I will be in. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz