multiple fridges?

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
With a family of 5, it would be nice to run an Engel 35 (or equivalent) as a freezer and an Engel 45 (or equivalent) as a fridge.

Anyone here run a multiple fridge set up or have you seen any?

Dave

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I haven't seen anything like that, matter of fact I don't even have a fridge! But what would you use to power it?
Maybe an EXPO atomic power facility:sunny: ?!!!!!
Jason T.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Paul May (owner of Equipt Expedition Outfitters) runs dual from time to time, one in the trailer and one in the back of his 100. I believe he sets it up just as your describing, one for freezing and one for refer. Of course Engel has the big "side by side" units with the dual compartments, however if I was in need of that much space myself I think I would rather do it with two units rather than a single, that way you have the versatility of just the one unit on shorter trips. On a longer trip this last fall I used my Engel for freezing duty and a smaller cooler (mounted on the back of my 40) for drink duty utilizing ice. It really drove the "ice sucks" message home for me after several years of ice free camping.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Jason T. said:
I haven't seen anything like that, matter of fact I don't even have a fridge! But what would you use to power it?
Maybe an EXPO atomic power facility:sunny: ?!!!!!
Jason T.

They really don't draw that much power. Both running would be <6 amps on DC. That's less than one of my Hella 4000's draw.

Dave

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Cool idea. We are a family of seven. One ARB MT45 just doesn't cut it and we end up using a cooler along with it. Having another MT45 to use as a freezer would take up less space and money in the long run.

AndrewP

Explorer
I did it last year through Death Valley. I had an Engel25? and my usual Engel 45. The Smaller one carried Ice Cream and I set the temp most of the way down. It ran essentially all the time, and didn't cycle that much.

What I learned, is that if you stopped in the early afternoon, and let them both run, by the following morning, the starter cranked really really slow, suggesting significant drain. One morning after the warmest camp, it wouldn't start and I had to flip over to my back up battery.

That was with a good 75 amp-hour deep cycle battery also serving as my starting battery.

With a dual battery, you'll be good to go, with one battery, I'd start up and idle for 15-30 minutes before going to bed.

It was great having Ice Cream on day 5.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I run a 40 l weaco as a freezer and a 35l Engle as the fridge. I used to just use the freezer to make ice and then transfer the ice to the cooler but it was a bit of a pain and not entirely efficient to keep swapping water bottles back and forth. Now the freezer stays closed all but once a day when I transfer some stuff. Its cold enough in there that I can generally disconnect the power for night if I'm short on battery. I use an auxillary yellow optima and it'll run both units through the night if required. I'm now carrying a tiny gas powered generator for when I stay in base camp and don't run the engine all day.

Carlyle

Explorer
I have a 5.5 cu ft Nova Kool in our camper and run a Engel 45 as a freezer in the rear seat of the truck. 420 amp hours of battery power with 180 watt solar recharge. Works great for longer trips! Nice to pull out the steaks on day 22!

Scott Brady

Founder
I run the National Luna in the Land Rover as a fridge, and the Engel in the Chaser as a freezer. Works great on long trips!

For the freezer, I keep the really frozen stuff on the bottom and the beers on top. Icy cold ;)

roscoFJ73

Adventurer
Fairly common to run 2 fridges in oz. Personally I would not set one up as a freezer.
I would have one for drinks and snacks on the road and use the other fridge for long term storage at 1c.
The reason for this is that freezing uses up a lot more power. A lot of foods can be kept in vac packaging or even in square plastic containers for extended times at low temps.

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I havn't seen the need yet to have separate freezer. I run an 84 qt Waeco and keep it set just above freezing. If I pack frozen food in the bottom back corner it stays frozen for days. I pack a separate cooler with nothing but ice for the evening cocktails. :friday:

I ran the Waeco as a freezer for the 07 Expo Trophy event but really packed it mainly with ice cream. Not very practical for your normal camping diet. :D

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Im actually going to be running three with my setup. One 35 between the front bucket seats or cold drinks, ease of access. One in the rear, 45, setup for fridge. And a 60 in the trailer for freezer.

FlyingWen

Explorer
Have you thought about using a TwoZone compartment to gain more fridge space? That may be a cheaper solution for you.

We run a MT45 with a TwoZone and it stores enough food for 3 of us for a week.

If you have the space and the means, that 2 fridges would be ideal.
I love our Engel MT45 and highly recommend it!

lowenbrau

Explorer
FlyingWen said:
Have you thought about using a TwoZone compartment to gain more fridge space? That may be a cheaper solution for you.

We run a MT45 with a TwoZone and it stores enough food for 3 of us for a week.

If you have the space and the means, that 2 fridges would be ideal.
I love our Engel MT45 and highly recommend it!

Agreed. If I had the headroom I'd be all over the TwoZone option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94