Buying a military trailer with no title?

I've started looking at old M416s and utility trailers. I'm wondering if anybody has experience getting a title for a military trailer with only a bill of sale.

I live in michigan. The Sec of State has plenty of info online, but nothing i could find on what is needed to title a trailer like this.

Anybody have some words of wisdom? Advice?

Nimbus

Each state will have different requirements in regards to title and license. I just recently did both in Missouri and found the easiest route was to have my m416 titled and licensed as a home-made trailer. All I needed was an inspection indicating that it was a home-made trailer and I did not need a previous title or bill of sale.

kai38

Explorer
Same here in NM. I had to go get it weighed empty first before taking the weight slip & the trailer to the DMV. Its real simple in NM after that you just need to tell them its home made & if it has working brake lights. They issued a VIN for it on a metal sticker that fell off the 1st week I used it so I stamped it into the frame on the tongue by the pintle loop.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Call your states DMV...

In Utah, trailers under 750lbs (empty) do not have to be licensed or registered, therefor no title is required for registration. If its over 750lbs and you have a bill of sale, you would fill out a "Insufficient Proof of Ownership" form in which you describe how you got the trailer sans title, get an officer to do a VIN inspection if applicable and submit that. They verify the vehicle/trailer is lien free and not reported stolen and issue a title.

dosentmater

hello, i live in michigan. i bought a m-416 trailer in sept 08 from a army surplus store in michigan.i took a picture of the data plate with weight of trailer and ser# stamped on it and bill of sale . to the secritary of state office .
they issued a plate and registration for the trailer. the state of michigan dosent issue titles for trailers under 1500 lbs or so,this is what lady at counter said. sorry for long post.

Last edited:
dosentmater said:
hello, i live in michigan. i bought a m-416 trailer in sept 08 from a army surplus store in michigan.i took a picture of the data plate with weight of trailer and ser# stamped on it and bill of sale . to the secritary of state office .
they issued a plate and registration for the trailer. the state of michigan dosent issue titles for trailers under 1500 lbs or so,this is what lady at counter said. sorry for long post.

thanks!

seashore

Observer
did the same in NC with a 1973 Sankey (land rover) trailer.

I got the run around from my DMV license plate office, and eventually found the most useful information with the state police DMV inspection office, who had to inspect the trailer prior to the DMV issuing plates. Basically, the DMV had put me through several extra, unnecessary steps due to their lack of knowledge. essentially they made me stamp a "VIN" number on it, even though the trailer had an ID plate with a serial number. it ended up making matters more confusing...

so, if your state requires the trailer (home built or untitled) to be inspected, I'd suggest calling those folks directly.

I also had to get an insurance indemnity bond to cover the lack of title. no doubt this varies by state...

good luck!

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
A side note: I'll suggest that the VIN be stamped in a second place on the trailer that only you know about. This was the DMV lady's advice when we registered the C.U.T.

JJonesee

Observer
I registered mine as a "homebuilt" trailer.

Texas is fairly easy on laws such as these. And executions..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles