El Camino del Diablo - 12/29/08 - 1/2/09

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Very nice. I'd like to get down there someday.

Security question: Are you allowed to be armed in those areas?

Dave

ExpoMike

Great pics. Glad you guys had a good time and that we helped with reporting trail conditions. Looks like it was drier then when we went through. I am still cleaning mud off the Cherokee. :oops:

Storz

Explorer
Awesome pictures and write up, you guys and gals out west have it made with the amount of areas you have to explore!!

BLKNBLU

Explorer
MoGas said:

Dave
I don't remember exactly where it was stated, but somewhere in the permitting process it was expressly stated that firearms are not allowed. That being said, we saw plenty of spent shells laying around during our trip.

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
MoGas said:

Dave

Dave,

You are not allowed to carry firearms on any of the restricted areas.

Meaning, that out of the four land jurisdictions, you can legally only carry on BLM land.
Organ Pipe, Cabeza Prieta and Barry Goldwater firearms are illegal EXCEPT for written permission by Organ Pipe Superintendent, Cabeza Prieta Refuge Manager and BMGR staff... so in a nutshell its impossible unless you are hunting Big Horn Sheep, and even then you can't do that in Organ Pipe (transport only thru the park).

It is a case of don't ask don't tell; but if and only if you do choose to carry I would strongly recommend don't advertise.

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
agavelvr said:
Perfect moisture content when we rolled thru. No mud on trail, but enough moisture to keep the sand packed and dust reduced a bit. It would be a very difficult trip in the wet for sure.

Jeff,
Saw your rig parked at Cabeza Prieta though didn't have a chance to stop and say hi. Looks like you guys had a good time tho.

Weather really warmed up compared to the previous 3 days. Felt like an Arctic wind was blowing through the area...really frigid. Temps were in the mid 30's every morning and didn't pass mid 40's the rest of the day.

A guy with a nice LC 80 series headed out the day before you did. Name of John from San Diego (I believe). Had the whole family plus dog and pop up camper. Seemed a busy week for the Camino.
Thanks for the write up.

SWDesertTaco

Adventurer
agavelvr said:
Too bad we didn't get a chance to meet. We watched the weather very carefully since we would be hitting the trail solo, and I couldn't have been more pleased with what Mother Nature served up. I did not meet, but saw John & fam camped near the Pinacate Lava flow. We only saw one other couple camping, but you are right about it being a busy week...not too many people get out there. So were you on your way to somewhere interesting?

I did get to admire the Defender from a distance tho...looks like a well built rig. Is it like all the old ST of the Jeeps, to loud to talk on the interstate?

Well like I said earlier you hit the weather perfect. That was the second time in a week I was actually able to wear shirt sleeves..haha..seriously on Christmas Eve I had never been so cold in Az.

Yeah John had a well outfitted LC; told him about ExPo maybe he'll make his way over here.

Nah, nothing interesting except my daily routine of work. Though to some it may be out of the ordinary interesting. LOL

Cabrito

I come in Peace
agavelvr said:
In the Camp.
The two problems we had was our position afforded our pooches a nice vantage point in which to see approaching coyotes (the furry ones), and the border patrol helicopter managed to breach our perimeter without much warning.
P1010160.jpg

Relaxation

This is a really fun picture.
Question about the dogs, why was it a problem when they saw the coyotes? What was their reaction and location at the time. Second question is where do the dogs sleep at night?

Great trip report. Thanks for sharing.

-m

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Jeff:
Great to see you are putting the Conqueror to good use!

And even in cold weather. We have been out in the snow camping in ours and stayed quite toasty with a small heater.

Dendy

mrstang01

Adventurer
It's often common for a female coyote to come close to lure the dogs out and then the whole pack will gang up on them, you should watch your dogs closely when out. Great report, and nice looking rig.

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles