carry gun

BBsound

Adventurer
that the average competitive shooter would be humbled pretty damned quick if they had to face and deal with what the average cop has to every day.

Nice thing about all those "reality" based shooting competitions, nobody's shooting back at you.

exactly, that is my point about the firearm often being a small part of a law enforcement officers job.

where is that beer somebody mentioned??:friday:

KG6BWS

Explorer
that the average competitive shooter would be humbled pretty damned quick if they had to face and deal with what the average cop has to every day.

Nice thing about all those "reality" based shooting competitions, nobody's shooting back at you.

but at the same time...

how do you think cops train for those bad situations???

a large number of the cops, that i PERSONALLY know, are complete **************. they only want the badge so that they can be cool. they train JUST enough to qualify and keep their jobs.

on the other hand, competitive shooters generally want to be good enough to beat everyone else and win the competition. take a rookie cop (like the morons i know), whos never had to defend himself, and the average comp shooter and chances are, the cop will lose.

as for the topic of this thread...

i picked up a s&w 329pd in 44mag a few months back. great carry gun for my purposes. big enough to drive away any mean critters in the hills, light as hell, and very comfortable and well balanced. its becoming my backwoods carry gun.

mrstang01

Adventurer
On the 1911, I'm tempted to trade you something for it. Actually, I lied, it's not a "1911", it's a colt m1991-a1. So, I guess that makes it a 1911 'style' weapon. Perfectly fine weapon in the field, but haven't been able to get any hollows to feed reliably, and that's with a custom throat polish. FMJ feeds great. I've inspected the design and I'm about to declare a full on design flaw in the feed path.

Plus, for my taste, it's a little heavy (makes the pants droop) and it's got too many sharp pointy edges for smooth draw.

What would you like to trade for, and where are you located, PM me and maybe we can work a deal?

Michael

Bergger

Explorer
This thread has turned quite amusing to me! :coffeedrink:

but at the same time...

how do you think cops train for those bad situations???

a large number of the cops, that i PERSONALLY know, are complete **************. they only want the badge so that they can be cool. they train JUST enough to qualify and keep their jobs.

on the other hand, competitive shooters generally want to be good enough to beat everyone else and win the competition. take a rookie cop (like the morons i know), whos never had to defend himself, and the average comp shooter and chances are, the cop will lose.

Wow is all I can say! Do you have some deep rooted feelings you need to get out?

KG6BWS

Explorer
This thread has turned quite amusing to me! :coffeedrink:

Wow is all I can say! Do you have some deep rooted feelings you need to get out?

no...the av just seems to have an overabundance of punks for cops. course, one guy told me that the antelope valley is a favorite first station for rookie sheriffs.

normally i have a lot of respect for LEO's. they got a crap job to do. i just dont have much respect for our local yokels.

jnaut

Observer
just out of curiosity...have you tried polishing the ramp also?? i have a para 1911 "style" and it had the same problem with hp's. once i polished the ramp AND throat, they feed just fine.

Been a long time, and I believe the ramp was polished as well. A friend of mine took it to a certified colt gunsmith, and he didn't see anything wrong with it, but didn't get a chance to shoot it on the range due to more pressing concerns. (it was free, afterall). I'll try to take some pictures and show you guys where I think the flaw is. Like to get some expert opinion.

jnaut

Observer
What would you like to trade for, and where are you located, PM me and maybe we can work a deal?

Michael

I'm in Seattle, WA. Not sure. Here's the thing, Michael, I love the gun, and would really like to get it working. I'd be more inclined to trade it if I discover that it just can't be made to reliably shoot HP's. Where are you?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I have not read the thread in it's entirety, but something you may not have looked at yet is the magazine. A buddy of mine had to 'break in' some of his new ones and still others required a little tweeking to start reliable feeds. The ramp, while polished, may still present an odd angle for the edge of an HP to catch and easily ride. You may very well need another barrel, stronger / modified mags and / or have the timing checked by a bonafied 1911 smith - none of which is expensive. One of my best friends is quite the shot and a great gunsmith too - he says that a lot of the newer 1911's are built with such tight specs that they *often* fail in competitions. While aggravating, it is most likely repairable.
The 1911 is a testament to John Brownings genius and is one of the neatest, most beautiful autos ever. I have my dads from the Korean War and shoot it occasionally, but I would not use a 1911 (even a compact) for a concealed carry gun due to it's shape and weight.
Hope this was not too much of a repeat.

Last edited:

cnynrat

Expedition Leader
As far as the grit and grime goes, this is my G34 that i through in a mud puddle at one particular 3 gun match that was raining miserably. After I threw it in a buddy of mine stood on it, then I finished the match with it.

PS, the signature on the side is R. Lee Ermey's
th_Muddy20Glock.jpg

No doubt, semi-auto pistols can be reliable even when abused or under-maintained. I carry one myself (I try not to abuse it though :D), so I'm not suggesting everyone needs to run out and get a revolver. Nevertheless, I think a revolver is objectively a simpler weapon and as a result over the long haul will probably be more reliable.

jnaut

Observer
I have not read the thread in it's entirety, but something you may not have looked at yet is the magazine. A buddy of mine had to 'break in' some of his new ones and still others required a little tweeking to start reliable feeds..

Exactly what my friend-of-a-friend gunsmith said: get a better magazine than stock. So 1st thing I did was go get a Wilson Combat mag.. x2. No change.

I'll check into your other suggestions. When the gun fires FMJ, it's a dream, and I'd prefer to keep it, but I'd like to be able to put some HP's through it as a defensive round. But it's gotta be spot-on reliable.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: I don't really want to get back in this discussion, but

If your 1911, no matter what Brand, is accurate, comfy and reliable with FMJ's (all mine are), then KEEP IT

the comparison between 230 Gr. FMJ's and HP's is MOOT, you have a chance for 8 rounds, fired quickly, FMJ's will do the trick

If each one is well placed (probably not, lack of training/experience) then one bullet will do the trick

Forget about HP's, just stay comfortable with your 230 Gr FMJ's, they have been doing the job for many wars

:coffeedrink::pROFSheriffHL::safari-rig::safari-rig: JIMBO

jnaut

Observer
For people who wonder why anyone would ever consider carrying a gun into natures wonders... this is why I carry mine:

WASHOUGAL, Skamania County — Authorities say a cross-country skier is lucky to be alive after being severely beaten northeast of Washougal.

Skamania County Sheriff Dave Brown says 52-year-old Robert Tracey might have died had he not been found in time.
[...]
Brown says Tracey was the victim of an apparently random attack by two men who stole his black 1998 Ford Explorer. Both remain at large. Tracey was released from the hospital Wednesday

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008737057_webskiattack12m.html

It's not always about bear attacks...

KG6BWS

Explorer
im an avid hunter myself, although im not a big fan of glocks. i like my para 1911 and my s & w 329PD (ultralight 44). damn thing kicks like a bloody mule, but its light and easy to carry, surprisingly accurate, and packs quite a wallop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles