carry gun

98dango

Expedition Leader
So who here carries out in the back country. My wife has brought it to my attention she dosent feal safe. I might agree with her we tend to get in some odd places.

so who carries and what do u carrie

Bergger

Explorer
I carry a sidearm on most of our trips. However this is only due to my career field and the extensive training I have had and continue to have. Prior to this I did not carry. In the past I always had a knife and a good can of bear spray will protect against just about anything, animal or human, as long as it does not shoot back. I don't recommend that people carry guns unless they get good training and continue on with training. Almost anyone can go to a range and class room and learn about a gun but using one under stress is completely different. That's where the good training comes in. However if you are going to get one learn the laws very well. I carry a Glock 22, .40, or a Kahr PM9, pocket size 9mm. I do not recommend either of these guns or anything similar unless again you are going to constantly train with them. All semi autos are very prone to malfunction due to user error. The problems can be very difficult to correct under stress unless trained in do so. There are also many parts that can malfunction mechanically. If that happens in the field you'll be out of luck. My Glock has had one catestrophic failure in the 8 years I have used it. It's not a good feeling! The small pocket guns, semi auto or revolver, in anything .38 or larger are difficult to shoot due to the recoil. They can be very "snappy" guns. Tought to hit things at any distance over a few yards. I would recommend a .357 revolver. You can shoot .357 or .38 rounds out of it and it is tough gun. No worry about malfunctions caused by user error, ie poor shooting grip. With such a simple design comes a very, very reliable gun.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:gunt: Good advice, I always carried my Ruger 357 SS, but about 7 years ago, I changed to this Smith & Wesson SS mod 1911

IMGP0644-2.jpg

That way I could carry 22 rounds, fairly easy and the .45acp is a good defense firearm

:wings: :REOutArchery02: JIMBO

jh504

Explorer
I carry, not only in the backcountry, but everywhere I go. I carry a Springfield XD in .40 S&W. I did not carry until after going through Hurricane Katrina down in LA.
Just a couple months ago I was in Wal Mart parking lot looking at a Toyota truck to possibly purchase. Out of nowhere we heard pop pop. When you first hear it in a place like that, you know what it is but it doesnt seem to be real. I looked around and saw people running and then multiple more shots. All I could think of was that it was crazy on a shooting rampage, killing innocent folks. I drew my gun and cautiously made my way towards the fire. A car then sped toward me and I took cover behind the Toyota truck, keeping my crosshairs toward the vehicle. It left the seen and a kid ran to me saying that the car was the shooter and he was trying to shoot the kid for no reason.

Now days something like this can happen anywhere. I will be prepared.
Also getting trained in firearms tactics is a must, and also keeping your skills current through practice. Know what you are going to do before it happens.

Also now we will be having a new law bringing our 2nd amendment rights back to the National Parks that we love. Get your concealed carry and dont worry when your in the backcountry.

computeruser

Explorer
Full-size 1911, .45acp. Daily carry = backcountry carry, at least in the backcountry I visit. Usually Milt Sparks IWB, sometimes Kramer OWB.

With the recent addition of breeding populations of escaped-from-the-game-ranch Russian Boars to the Moose and Black Bear we already have here in MI, I have been thinking about adding an S&W N-frame .44mag or .45LC to the mix, for places where unfriendly wildlife might be found.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I usually carry a revolver - a .357 Either a Ruger SP-101 snub nose, or GP-100 full size. Nothing against semi-autos, I just happen to be a wheelgun fan.

Whatever you happen to chose, make sure you are very familiar with its operation. Practice at the range often. You need to be very comfortable holding and firing the gun.

As to the type of gun to get, my suggestion is if you plan to shoot often, either a semi-auto or a revolver is fine. If you plan to shoot only occasionally, a revolver may be a better choice. A revolver has fewer moving parts, fewer levers and switches to fumble with - fewer things you must be familiar with to operate the gun correctly and safely.

Whichever gun you get, if you are not familiar with shooting, get instruction. The NRA has a list of its certified instructors (of which I am one.) They are all over the country, and hold classes regularly. I recommend both you and your wife take a class. They are not long, and usually fun. The knowledge gleaned from a class is priceless.

2008F450

Observer
For everyday around town carry I choose 1911 .45 in a number of configurations. For back country carry with a lot of flat ground and little climbing I carry a Winchester 94 in .44 magnum and a S&W revolver in .44 magnum. If im climbing or in really rough terrain I just carry the revolver. But they both get Buffalo Bore heavy loads. I have seen these stop a fast charging bear with 3 fast shots from a revolver. If I were to go into Canada or Alaska where critters get really big I would bring my Marlin in 45-70 with heavy loads.

98dango

Expedition Leader
well as far as safty gose

her dad is the instructor for the CWP here in our county. She has had a rifel for 24 years.

Her dad says she needs a 38. Due to small frame of the gun and her small hands.

I was just wondering how maney of u all carry.

This would be just for trip carry as she is not allowd to have a fire arme even in her car at work. She works with teh mentaily challanged.

my buddie tells me I need a 10 mm Glockor Kimber (sp). But hes a glock fan and im not gonna spend the 1100 on the kimber.

Spikepretorius

Explorer
Please with tears in my eyes don't get her a .38 snubbie. That seems to be a favourite for people who don't know guns but it's the last thing you should get her. Because of the short frame it will recoil like crazy in her hand, (and it's pretty loud) and she will be scared of it from that day forward. She must be totally comfortable with her weapon or it will be a hindrance.

I've lost count of the people that I know who have 38 snubbies gathering dust.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
I have a Glock 21 (.45) that goes with me almost everywhere when we're out wheeling or camping. My wife (who has the same issue, VERY small hands) has a Kahr CW9 that she takes with her. Both weapons were purchased with the primary purpose of home defense, but outside of the extra-large frame on my G21 they serve well in the outdoors too. I also have the M3 tactical light on my Glock for when we're camping. No way I'm just going to start shooting off into the dark.

Training and practice are also key. When my wife and I go to the range, we always trade off too so we are both familiar with each other's weapon and the nuances. Don't want to end up all skiddish like this guy!

:gunt:

DaveM

Explorer
98dango said:
So who here carries out in the back country. My wife has brought it to my attention she dosent feal safe. I might agree with her we tend to get in some odd places.

so who carries and what do u carrie

I don't think I'll ever understand the "fear" people feel out in the back roads of the US, but then I don't travel in some of the more remote places you guys do (where I might meet the odd pot grower, meth head etc). I'm personally in greater danger driving through west Oakland than most of you are camping in the middle of no where. To be honest, nothing makes me more nervous than a well worn traveller camped out near me wearing a handgun and exclaiming he does so because he feels a deep fear of some unknown danger. Most of the guys I've met like that are probably not as level headed or well trained as the people around here though.

I never carry anything in my daily life, don't own a handgun. I do keep a big a@# knife in my driver side door. When camping away from developed camp grounds I bring my .410. Not sure why, target shooting is always fun. The presence of the gun is enough of a deterrent for anyone nearby with ill intentions. When I road tripped up to Alaska with some buddies years ago I brought the 12 gauge with slugs, mostly for bears a little for people.

IggyB

Adventurer
You Americans are funny about guns.

But, since we in the kingdom of Canada are prohibited from carrying handguns, I take a couple of shotguns with me when heading out on unpaved roads. Winchested Defender shorty and Remington with Knoxx recoil reducing stock. 12 gauge of course.

My friends make fun of me when I take them out at camp. :gunt:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I normally have a Smith and Wesson 686 in .357 Mag in the back country, but I don't "wear" or carry it except very rarely. I've never seen the need to wear or carry a gun in the back country and it would seem counterproductive to do so for a number of reasons. The gun normally stays out of sight in the cab of the truck during the day and at night it goes wherever I happen to be sleeping.

I don't openly display or brandish the gun and to be honest I wouldn't feel comfortable around someone who did. It's not that guns scare me (duh, I spent 23 years in the Army, it's not like I'm unfamiliar with weapons) but people who feel a need to display their hardware bother me a bit.

I know .357 is not ideal for bears but hopefully it will at least make them consider a different line of work, and it should be fine for the rare, 2-legged predators I might come across.

In town on those rare occasions that I carry it's a 9mm Glock, however, as I'm a federal employee I'm forbidden to carry at work.

As to those who feel safe in the backcountry, honestly, I do, too. Never had a near miss or a close encounter with a bad guy in the woods in 25+ years.

But you know what? I've never had a fire either but I still carry a fire extinguisher. ;)

bmonday

Adventurer
Why? Same reason I carry a fire extinguisher, a spare tire, tools, spare oil/grease, a blanket, a little food and water, and everything else that never leaves my Jeep: Because it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I feel safer knowing I have the capability of defending my loved ones should some nutjob open up in a Walmart parking lot, like the story from the earlier poster.

I don't *fear* some random guy coming into my camp at night, but neither do I *fear* a flat tire, or getting stuck in the snow on a pass, but I am adequately prepared for those challenges should they arise.

Oh, Wilson Combat lightweight Professional in a Crossbreed SuperTuck holster, for the record:
holsteredpro.jpg

I also have a .22cal Henry Survival Rifle in my rear drawer (XMas gift).

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Glock 19 Gen1 9mm with Hogue over grip for concealed carry and my wife's 1st line of defense at home, and a S&W 4566 with Hogue grips and is carried everywhere I go in my Maxpedition OPERATOR TACTICAL ATTACHÉ. As most know if your a smaller guy 45's are difficult to conceal w/o proper bulky clothing. Now some things to consider for the little lady of your life I'd say for small hands the 9mm glocks and .40's aren't bad simple design and simple function not to mention all weather. Glock introduced a C model wich had a barrel and slide and promised % of recoil decrease I swear not that I can find it now was supposed to be 25% less than that of their 9mm. The 9mm has little to no from my use vs. the .45 which climbs when you fire in succession. Hollow points can be purchased in almost every caliber and are effective at close range (campsite, or heaven forbid an RTT intrusion).

Aaron

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier