Aluminum flatbed for my Dodge

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
I have read several posts where people have said they built an aluminum flatbed for their truck. Can some of you post some pics and any technical info for that? I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 diesel short bed.

Thanks,

Larry

adrenaline503

Explorer
I have a Ute Ltd bed and recommend it. I cant really see how someone could build one as nice as mine for less than the $1800.00 it goes for. Granted, a full size would be a bit more,but they are REALLY nice.

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
The material for a short bed Dodge will cost you about $700.00. This does not include labor if you have it welded. Some places should be bolted. If you are going to put aluminum boxes on it, check out Buyers products and give me a call. I am a dealer for Buyer products. We can supply all the products for lighting and towing. You can build your own flatbed with boxes for 1/4 the price of most costum beds.

Last edited:

Capt Eddie

Adventurer
This entire project can be done without any welding. Main supports can be bolted to the frame, Secondary supports bolted the main beams and 1/4 plate bolted to everything. It takes planning to have holes predrilled before assembly of some parts. If you can find my truck pics you can do all that without welding. I would not use anything less then 1/4inch for the plate. 1/8 is to light. it will bend dropping heavy tools and parts. But you do need to use all galvanized nuts, bolts flat washers and lock washers. There is not welded aluminum on my truck. Send my a drawing of what you want it to look like and I can give you a cut list of material. I have a Dodge shortbed on site for truck specific sizes.

I built a custom aluminum bed for my tacoma double cab. really love having the extra space. Getting the itch to build a new one now that I have had some time using the old one.

Attachments

• IMG_0183.jpg
    IMG_0183.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 207
  • net.jpg
    net.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2779.jpg
    IMG_2779.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 83

Rbertalotto

Explorer
Just so I understand. Does a flatbed always go above the tires? Or can it go between the tires and have the camper lower with tool boxes infront and behind the wheel humps?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online