Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I only use computers named after forbidden fruit

Votes: 15 44.1%
  • My Tandy 1000 hasn't let me down yet

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters

Jacket

2008 Expedition Trophy Champion
We’re thinking about a new computer this year. The old Dell we use at home is adequate for email and internet use, but it’s going on 9 years old now, and its age is showing. We’ve always been a PC (or Unix) household, and its also what we use at work. And I don't upgrade my electronics often, so I try to buy based on quality, durability and long term applicability.

So my question is more about Windows Vista versus XP than PC versus Apple, but I’ll entertain any opinions. :) I’ve never used Vista, and haven’t taken any time to research it. Is it improved/different/better than XP, or better to stick with XP and upgrade to Vista later? Or is it time to jump on the Apple bandwagon? Why???

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
I just bought my wife a new laptop on Sunday. A Toshiba 13.3" with Vista Premium. Nice machine. It's red. Shiny too. She thinks it's cute and got mad when I didn't wash my hands before "setting it up".

Vista is OK. With 4 GB of RAM it's relatively quick (except Norton is a processor pig). Since you can't buy XP on any new computer except for Netbooks (those little laptops like the Asus EEE) it's your only choice.

Bottom line: The more I use Windows, the more I LOVE my Mac. The only reason that my wife has a PC laptop is because of the price and she wanted to say with Windows (and did I mention that it's red?). For my home computer, I will not purchase another Windows based machine again.

All kidding aside, buy a Mac, download Open Office and enjoy a great home computer for years to come.

Pete

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
I have two computers running Vista. A laptop/tablet running 32 bit Vista and a desktop running the 64bit version. I'm very happy with both version. For my HP laptop, I especially like the quick access to the power options so that I can quickly change the power mode to suit my current computing needs. You can choose from power saver, balanced, or performance mode. Lots of times I'll choose performance when booting up and getting stuff set up, then switch over to power saver to make the batter last. Plus, the computer runs cool and quiet in power saver mode.

I also like the built-in backup and sync utilities to help manage data across multiple disks and keep stuff backed up.

johnnyrover

Observer
If you use outlook for email, stick with the PC. There is no easy way to convert the .pst file from Outlook.

I run a mixed PC/Mac environment and they both have their place. PCs for most desktop applications, Macs for video editing.

IH8RDS

Explorer
The two kids laptops are Vista and I use it at work now too. The wifes laptop uses XP and on my computer I almost exclusively use Ubuntu.

I like them all so I am really no use to you :shakin:

James86004

Expedition Leader
I just bought a Dell laptop, a Precision M4400 with XP on it. The system admin told me the CAD program we use (Autodesk Inventor) and the finite element analysis package we use (Ansys and Ansys Workbench) have a lot of problems running under Vista.

Everyone I work with who doesn't have to use either of those packages has switched to a Mac.

Willman

I'm a PC.....XP user.....

I have seen many of my friends go to the darkside:shakin: .....I might have to check the darkside out...Looks more friendly than a PC for sure!

:REOutArchery02:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
From an update point of view, Apple rolls out new OS builds every month or so it seems like. Windows has a bit more stable upgrade path. However, Vista is almost three years old now, and is due for replacement in about another year (with Windows 7).

Vista, with SP1, is actually pretty good. Its still not quite as fast as XP, but has a lot of nice features to it that really do improve the user experience. Also, Vista is pretty easy to use. The "new" things are all fairly intuitive.

From everything I have read on the subject, Windows 7 is just going to be a streamlined, reskinned version of Vista, with a bit more polish on the rough spots.

The next major change in home computing that will complicate things is the 32bit verses 64bit operating systems. Windows 7 will be available in both, but many other things might not be. If you are doing hardcore applications, this is something to seriously think about. 64bit has the ability to address more RAM and run faster. 32bit is limited to 3GB of RAM, 64bit can go MUCH higher in the RAM department. New motherboards have 6 slots these days!

I love Mac, but they age very quickly. If you are going to keep the box for a long time (my goodness man, 9 years?), I would recommend Windows because it will age better and be upgradeable for a longer period of time.

Jacket

mountainpete said:
I just bought my wife a new laptop on Sunday. A Toshiba 13.3" with Vista Premium. Nice machine. It's red. Shiny too. She thinks it's cute and got mad when I didn't wash my hands before "setting it up".
The only reason that my wife has a PC laptop is because of the price and she wanted to say with Windows (and did I mention that it's red?).

Red is good! Her IPhone is skinned in Pink....

You make a good point about price. I don't feel a compelling need to pay more for a Mac because its sexy and because it will improve my image if I own one. In all likelihood we won't use any of the advanced features of the Mac, but since I just learned I'm more right-brained than I thought, maybe I should explore my artistic side with a Mac....

Jacket

johnnyrover said:
If you use outlook for email, stick with the PC. There is no easy way to convert the .pst file from Outlook.

Interesting.... Email lists, contacts and calendars are very important to my wife, although we're currently sync'ing from our PC to her IPhone. I remember when I upgraded this machine from Me to XP and lost the .pst file, she nearly divorced me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles