My experience using my SPOT Messenger's 911 emergency button

buck moberly

The bill for the helicopter trip to the hospital came last week, $17,000 ish. My health insurance paid $13,500 or so and SPOT and GEOS say they will cover the rest. I have to say the 8 dollar insurance from GEOS has turned out to be quite a bargain.

BriansFJ

Adventurer
The bill for the helicopter trip to the hospital came last week, $17,000 ish. My health insurance paid $13,500 or so and SPOT and GEOS say they will cover the rest. I have to say the 8 dollar insurance from GEOS has turned out to be quite a bargain.

As much as I hate insurance, it usually is quite a bargain when you have to use it...:Wow1:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader

That is very interesting. It looks lilke your health plan covered 80%. Not bad at all. I am going to look into my plan and see what my out of pocket would be. The GEOS coverage sounds like a great investment.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have a SPOT experience to report. Last weekend on the Bradshaw Trail (just east of Salton Sea in Southern California, our group of ExPo members came across a fallen dirt bike rider. Another group of riders had arrived moments before us and were beginning to check out the patient. We helped assess the patient's condition and came to the mutual conclusion with the riders that he had possible spinal cord injuries, and most definitely shoulder and rib injuries. We agreed he needed to be backboarded out. Fortunately, the fallen rider had his own SPOT tracker, which we activated. We also had cell phone coverage, so we contacted the fallen rider's wife (he was lucid enough to give us his name and contact info) to let her know that SPOT would probably be calling her. We then called 911 but didn't have a lot of success with that, as they couldn't use the GPS coords we had. We did have a map and that was VERY helpful to give the 911 operator nearest trail entry points (she kept asking for nearest major cross streets, LOL!).

Within 90 minutes of activating SPOT, a sheriff's fixed wing plane started circling overhead, apparently operating as a radio relay to incoming ground and air rescue teams. At about 1:40, a CHP helicopter arrived, and probably 5 minutes after that, two fire trucks, and ambulance, and a CHP 4x4 truck all showed up together. So under 2 hours, LOTS of help arrived. I asked the helio pilot how they were notified, and she said their dispatch gave them GPS coords to where we were. I figure that was from SPOT. Cool!

After a few minutes, the rescue crews had the patient on a backboard and strapped into the helio and he was on his way to a level III trama center in Palm Springs. He was gone and the dust settled in less than 2 hours from pushing the button.

Photos: http://nwoods.smugmug.com/gallery/7319544_6Q3bT#470882851_erVMU
(photos taken with permission and encouragement from the patient!)

470877884_sbwCq-L.jpg

470877976_NLHti-L.jpg

470878066_799Mm-L.jpg

470878122_VSrpc-L.jpg

470878598_KBwbY-L.jpg

470878717_TPvpa-L.jpg

470878840_pbaom-L.jpg

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Thaks for posting. I hope he is doing well now. Glad to hear the Spot worked as designed and got you help quickly when needed.

Prior post...I was surprised that Buck was sent a bill for the Helo ride:Wow1: I didn't think the US SAR team services were billed to the victims under normal circumstances. I guess I better sign up for the insurance when I renew.

Superu

Explorer
2 hrs is still a long time, with only one epi though.

That's why we carry two of them at all times. The first dose can wear off within 15 - 20 minutes before symptoms have been adequately addressed. A second dose is sometimes needed to keep the patient stable until help arrives or can be reached.

I have a 9 yr. old with a severe peanut / tree nut allergy and we never venture out without my McMurdo FastFind Plus GPS.

Fastfind%20Plus.jpg_lrg.jpg

We hope we'll never need it, but I can't imagine needing it and not having it with us.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Nice writeup! Pictures were great!

Last Saturday I took my snowshoes up to Mount Baldy (SoCal) and I had my GPS, Avalanche Beacon and SPOT hanging on my backpack. It would be nice to see some of this stuff integrated and save on weight and batteries.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Good news! The injured rider (Rick) posted on the Bradshaw Trail thread (CA/NV chapter in this forum) that he's okay. Broken ribs, messed up shoulder and some stitches, but nothing worse than what'd you expect without doors, roof, and 6,000 lbs of safety cage around you :)

orangeTJ

Explorer
Very cool info on the results with SPOT.

Was reading another forum and came across this, which links to a "now in progress trip" with live SPOT tracking.

A customer of mine from our local board did a write up on his SPOT unit. Linked a map in the thread and went live with it while he drives to TX and back. For those of you considering purchasing one this is a good demo to follow along with.

http://www.nmvjc.org/forumvb/showthread.php?t=1808

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne