"Family-sized" RTT??

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I'm thinking about putting an RTT on the back of a F/S truck that would be able to sleep comfortably 2 adults and 2-3 kids.

I haven't really considered RTT's i the past, so any links to company websites would be appreciated.

Willman

Scott's is the best example! The 2200 series Eezi-Awn is the largest RTT...

We could get ya all setup!

Linky

I have the 1800 Eezi-Awn....It sleeps my wife and I and the little one with room to grow...

DSC04468.jpg

:)

Last edited:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
I've been forming a little idea for my future expo vehicle...
Fullsize 3/4 ton with a flat deck, like the Oz Tray, and mount an RTT on top of the "hoops" with all supplies and cargo in some sort of enclosed box with multiple openings/drawers.
Actually, the pic of the truck with the RTT at the top of the Sierra site is kind of what I'm aiming for, except with a flat deck, you have A LOT more options for storage, and how the various compartments are accessed.

Hey Will, how much does the 2200 weigh?
Oh, how comfortable are the mattresses that come with the Eezi-Awn's?

Last edited:

Buzz Lightyear

I have a 2200 mounted on my trailer. It sleeps my wife and I and our three kids, 12,10 and 8. My kids are all pretty big for their ages and we make it just fine, though I wouldn't like it if they weren't all family. We sleep four across and one at the top instead of trying to fit all five across. I figure that we're good for another year or two, then we'll have to come up with another solution w/ more room.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Buzz Lightyear said:
I figure that we're good for another year or two, then we'll have to come up with another solution w/ more room.

We had our first in June of this year, so i'm just planning for the next 5-8 years worth of kids. :D
After that, i'll be like you and in need of another more spacious solution.

I'm also thinking that if i get a nice reliable 3/4 or 1-ton pickup, I can later get a slide-in camper for it and have more comfortable transportation. ;)
I'm not sure if there will be a slide-in that would comfortably fit a family of 5 for long trips, but I'll have to see how well the kids take to these types of trips anyways.

Last edited:

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
There are a lot of rooftop tent solutions for larger families but not a whole lot here in the states. Here is a good example.

4x4HummerOpenM.jpg

Two medium OverCamp tent side by side. Oh, doesn't look so big on the little army trailer, no this isn't an army trailer. This is a custom Hummer trailer, extra large. You can walk under these tents.

This is an expedition rig we made up years ago, had side tents and all the goodies, cost no object. Medium OverCamps I believe are special order for North America, they are close to six feet wide when open, so you are looking at something like 12 foot wide of tent in this picture. One home for the kids and one for you and a couple more kids. The OverCamp is one of my personal favorites, used a small one last year for a month long exploration of the Copper Canyon.

Sounds perfect, but not so fast. Here are the drawbacks with the large tents. First, the OverCamp, as bright, cheerful and playful as they look, are expedition grade equipment. What works well for expedition, may not be what you may want for a family. For example, the whole side of the tent rolls up, good for exploration in the tropics but it also becomes a great jungle gym for the kids. The other is weight, again the tent is very strong and the literature says something like 130 pounds but I think it is more like 140 each for the medium size when built for North America, they don't come in large because of this. Two would be 280 pounds on the roof using load bars rated for 165 pounds. A potential problem, and on most vehicles, you can feel anything over about 145 pounds on the roof. This is why the picture shows a custom trailer and it was engineered by the trailer manufacturer.

There are times where I admit, a trailer is needed. I'm not a big fan of trailers, I've destroyed at least three, maybe four, no make that five. Think about getting two rooftents, different styles. Perhaps one hard top rooftent for going long and then having another tent on the trailers for the kids.

Rich H

Willman

The Adam Blaster said:
Hey Will, how much does the 2200 weigh?
Oh, how comfortable are the mattresses that come with the Eezi-Awn's?

187 lbs.

I love the mattress!....I always get a great night sleep on it!

:26_7_2:

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Another option is the Howling Moon Tourer 2.4, actually a tad roomier, especially with its 3.4m x 2.4m ground-level annex zipped in.

I like the looks of this one, especially the way those window shades/awnings stick so far out. It looks like it would be able to have the windows wide open even in a heavy downpour.

Many of the RTT's I've seen have the optional expanded floor area that covers the ladder entrance. I like that option, and will probably pick one up when I make my tent purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles