Action Mobil videos

After watching that video, I thought about this: It's one thing to get your Tacoma, Jeep, or other like sized vehicle stuck in the mud or quicksand- heck, even a mog; but getting that... ummm... semi (for lack of better description) stuck? No thanks. I'm sure that many, if not most of us have at one time or another needed or provided assistance in a recovery, but what the heck do you do when you get that MAN stuck in the middle of nowhere? Some guy in a Jeep probably isn't going to be able to provide a lot of help, and I can just imagine the headache of getting something "big" out to wherever you got stuck to recover you- not to mention the bill for their services!

So for those of you who utilize this sort of rig, have you ever gotten stuck (and I mean stuck-stuck)? What did it take, and how was your vehicle recovered?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
There is quite a few MAN’s running around OZ and I believe they have a reasonable dealer network although for the last 20years exactly, no one here has even been close to matching Isuzu in terms of sales and support networks. However, the MANs have a lot going for them as expedition vehicles that the Japanese trucks of this size don’t. You can order them to be built to custom specifications and I believe they are available here with single rear wheels, front / rear / center diff locks, extra fuel tanks, custom chassis length, offroad suspension, etc, etc. and they are great value if all these options are on your shopping list anyway. A similar size 4x4 or 6x6 Japanese truck works out being close to the same money by the time you do all the modifications and this is still well below the cost of a similar size Mbenz (here anyway).

The big MANs running on Fraser Island as tour buses seem to go great in soft sand; although they are just so overwhelming when you meet one coming straight at you on the narrow inland tracks through the rainforests. Mickldo and I have spoken about this before and about how on Fraser “mere mortals” in conventional size fourbys will have to struggle with winches, snatch’em straps, ladders, shovels and the old cry of “Quick. Everyone out and push!!!” while the buses (including the FGs) just charge past like they haven’t even left the blacktop.

So for those of you who utilize this sort of rig, have you ever gotten stuck (and I mean stuck-stuck)? What did it take, and how was your vehicle recovered?

I actually asked a MAN owner this about a year ago and his answer was “I just push another diff lock button on the dash”. But IMO though, to be safer, anything this big is still going to require a very, very large winch with the capability of forwards or rearwards pulling (or 2 separate winches > one front and another on the rear). Our older Australian Acco military 4x4 and 6x6 trucks ran a massive PTO center winch with a big diameter pulley at the rear of the chassis and then a guide tube leading to a fairlead on the front bar but there is some great hydraulic gear available now which easily lends itself to having 2 winches. As long as you can pull both ways.

Mud is a whole different scenario with a heavy. That could be a worry if it’s bottomless so what would you do if there were no 4’ diameter trees around to winch from??

Dig a deep hole and bury the nearest “Tacoma, Jeep, or other like sized vehicle” and winch to that.

BTW I love watching the way the Dakar race truck guys go about recovery. Last year they showed a race truck self-winching itself upright after it had rolled over on to it’s side. Awesome stuff.

Zorro

Adventurer
As much as I lust after these ... when it comes to a point where your rig doesn't fit on a big dirt road and would be dead stuck if it didn't have a buddy in the same weight category ... eh ... might as well forgo some comfort creatures and end up with something more reasonably sized.

Doin_It

Adventurer
The thing is you aren't out there trying to prove how big a hole you can get through. You are out there enjoying what you are doing and I'm sure "using your brain" so that you don't get into those situations. What do the truck tour guys do in the Congo..............stay away during the rainy season. It's not about beating the truck I'm sure.

whatcharterboat

The thing is you aren't out there trying to prove how big a hole you can get through. You are out there enjoying what you are doing and I'm sure "using your brain" so that you don't get into those situations. What do the truck tour guys do in the Congo..............stay away during the rainy season. It's not about beating the truck I'm sure.
Hey absolutely. Couldn't agree more.That's why I reckon it's important to be able to winch back so you can maybe find an easier route rather than keep goin forward through a hole just to say you did it. You might end up beyond help.

So sure, you definitely need to use a lot more common sense and caution with a truck than with a conventional sized vehicle. Oh, and not loose sight of why you are out there to begin with.

egn

Adventurer
whatcharterboat said:
So sure, you definitely need to use a lot more common sense and caution with a truck than with a conventional sized vehicle. Oh, and not loose sight of why you are out there to begin with.

As owner of a big-sized MAN I fully agree with this! ;)

Such a truck is able to go through terrain where other smaller vehicles are getting stuck, and vice-versa. Sometimes size is good, sometimes it is a disadvantage.

Coming out of being stuck is much easier with smaller vehicles. If you are stuck with such a truck and if there isn't another one in similar size around you may be in serious trouble. So the best way to travel in really rough terrain where you can get stuck is in a small group of 2-3 similar sized vehicles.

Otherwise you shouldn't force yourself going forward and always be able to push back. Most of the time there an option reaching a specific target. And if you going alone you have to have proper rescue equipment with you.

The winch can be used if there are points available where you can attach the rope to. When you go through treeless deserts it is very hard to find one. You can use sand boards in deserts but they are pretty much useless in real muddy terrain.

So you better check your rescue options before you go into a situation where you can get stuck. ;)

A heavy truck with sufficient load capacity has the advantage that you can take a lot of rescue equipment with you. So you certainly have much more options.

I have the following equipment for rescue and improving traction in our truck:
- central PTO winch which can be used forward and backward
- wire rope pulling hoist with wire rope
- extra thick and stable aluminum sand boards
- lifting air cushions to lift truck
- soft car rope and lifting straps for pulling
- heavy extensible tow bar
- tire chains for ice, snow and mud
- shovels, axes, chainsaw

So far I have used only part of the equipment for rescue of other people cars and I hope it stays this way. :D

Another important point if you going to remote areas is how you can handle vehicle break down. This starts from tire puncture and ends with engine problems. Beside having at least one spare tire you should be able to repair a tire. How important this is once discovered a fellow KAT 6x6 owner going along the Canning Stock Route in Australia. He had 19 punctures on about 1.500 miles..

One of the reasons why I have choosen my old truck is its simplicity, especially the missing engine electronic. This makes it more easier to repair if something fails.

Every vehicle has its pros and cons and it is a personal choice what way to go.

whatcharterboat

Another important point if you going to remote areas is how you can handle vehicle break down. This starts from tire puncture and ends with engine problems. Beside having at least one spare tire you should be able to repair a tire. How important this is once discovered a fellow KAT 6x6 owner going along the Canning Stock Route in Australia. He had 19 punctures on about 1.500 miles..

EGN thanks for this link. I wish I could speak German. There is alot of info about the trip on there. I am thinking that the pics only tell a fraction of the story.

As you can quess I'm a huge fan of MAN's, especially the ones built by Action Mobil and Unicat for that matter. You've got to hand it to the Europeans when it comes to quality engineering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles