Aftermarket Sunroof....

Zaphod

Adventurer
I have a 2000 Isuzu Trooper LS that has almost everything I want........ except a sunroof. :(

My truck was available with a sunroof in the Limited edition of the same year, so I know that there are factory parts for it in addition to whatever aftermarket systems may exist.

My questions are:

1) Does anyone here have any experience, good or bad, with aftermarket sunroofs?

2) What would you recommend regarding the installation of a sunroof in a vehicle that didn't come with one?

3) If you WERE to get one, would you opt for factory parts or for another aftermarket system (Webasto, etc.)?

My desire would be to have a standard moonroof that retracts automatically into the headliner of the truck.

Thanks! :wavey:

ETA: Oh, and I would definitely have this thing installed professionally. No way in hell I'd try something like this myself. :Wow1:

Last edited:

Zorro

Adventurer
Zaphod said:
My desire would be to have a standard moonroof that retracts automatically into the headliner of the truck.

Then you must use the OEM sunroof. I think all the aftermarket just pop up.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I'm debating the Webasto Panoramic myself now, but cant decide if I am going to run a roof rack or not (the deciding factor, useless having a sunroof if its covered) The Webaso is a very good quality unit, but dependability varies with the quality of the install - fortunately I have a contact with a Webasto factory installer that does side work on the weekends and cuts about $30% off the total price

Zaphod

Adventurer
Zorro said:
Then you must use the OEM sunroof. I think all the aftermarket just pop up.

Negative. THere are automatic retractibles available after-market.

That said, just for giggles I'm going to call my local Isuzu dealer and ask him what the price would be for a factory unit installed. I'll get back to you with the proposed rape, er..... price. :sombrero:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Hmmm...well, first, full disclosure: I've never had a sunroof and never really wanted one.

Having said that: I'd think long and hard before cutting a hole in your roof. A water leak in the back country can be all kinds of bad news and a warranty isn't going to do you much good if you're caught in torrential downpour on the way to Alaska or Maine.

Furthermore, your Trooper is almost 10 years old - figuring that it could easily cost over $1000 for a professionally installed sunroof, you've got to ask yourself whether it might make more sense to just sell your Trooper and buy a similar one with the factory sunroof already on it. Around here a 2k Trooper can be found for around $3,000 so putting a $1000 sunroof on it would be a little like putting a $40 saddle on a $10 horse.

Just MO, of course. ;)

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I've only had three vehicles with a sunroof;

1: Chevy Luv 4x4 with aftermarket pup-up sunroof (on the vehicle when I bought it). These aftermarket jobs, especially the cheap ones like I had, have a reputation for leaking, but mine never had any problems. However, that wasn't the sliding type you're talking about.

2: Toyota Sienna and Hyundai Sonata: two of our current vehicles, both have factory sliding 'moon roof.' 100K miles on the Toy and 25K miles on the Hyundai. No problems. However, I have recently read about problems that can be traced to clogged drain lines. The drain(s) run down through the pillar(s) and dump rain water out somewhere under the vehicle.

So one thing you might want to check into is how the drain lines would work for the aftermarket version, and if they are standard equipment ( already in place on your truck) for the factory unit. It makes sense to me that good drain lines would be critical to avoid leaking on a sunroof that is inset into the roof.

Zaphod

Adventurer
Martinjmpr said:
Furthermore, your Trooper is almost 10 years old - figuring that it could easily cost over $1000 for a professionally installed sunroof, you've got to ask yourself whether it might make more sense to just sell your Trooper and buy a similar one with the factory sunroof already on it. Around here a 2k Trooper can be found for around $3,000 so putting a $1000 sunroof on it would be a little like putting a $40 saddle on a $10 horse.

Oh, I know that.

I'm afraid I have a bit of a connection to this one though. Besides, it's paid for. :eek:

You're not the first that has warned me about the idea of cutting a hole in a perfectly-good roof. Heck, the thought makes ME cringe. At this point, I'm just trying to determine if the idea has any technical merit whatsoever so I can either do it or put it to bed once and for all.

Believe me, I'll eventually be putting a good bit more than $1,000 into this puppy. Suspension, rack, electronics, etc. She's not going anywhere so long as I have a say in the matter.

She's my baby! :safari-rig:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My guess is that the OE version is only installed during the assembly of the vehicle. The roof stamping is likely to be very different from the non-sun/moonroof model.

Zaphod

Adventurer
ntsqd said:
The roof stamping is likely to be very different from the non-sun/moonroof model.

Yeah. I've often wondered how an after-market system makes up for the fact that the edge is cut rather than stamped over....

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
I have an experience with an aftermarket sunroof on an old Dodge Intrepid I had in the late 90's. I had it installed at the dealer where I bought the car from. It was electric and operated just like the OEM ones.

I was never happy with it and regretted purchasing it. While it never leaked, there were a couple of minor issues with it.

First off, most aftermarket sunroofs are designed to be used on a number of different vehicles.....so the glass may not match up perfectly with the shape of the roof. On a flat roofed vehicle, this may not be an issue, but the roof of the Intrepid was curved pretty good and the glass was flatter, and if you looked closely, you could tell. Not a huge issue, but it bothered me...and might be something you want to consider.

The biggest issue I had with the sunroof was that after a short while the roof around the opening for the sunroof started to rise and lower (the metal expanding and contracting with the temperatures) so that it no longer matched the sunroof perfectly. The back of the opening actually sat a little higher than the glass. When the factory puts in a sunroof, they use a roof that is designed for it and is braced properly around the opening. When a hole is cut in the roof for the aftermarket roof, it is just sheetmetal with no additional bracing. Like I said, it never leaked, but it did bother me pretty good.

If I were ever to put another sunroof into a vehicle after the fact, I would get the whole roof with sunroof off of a vehicle in the junkyard that came with one and replace the whole roof.

Just my 2 cents.

IntrepidXJ

Explorer
Zaphod said:
Yeah. I've often wondered how an after-market system makes up for the fact that the edge is cut rather than stamped over....

They don't....and that's the reason I would never do it again :wavey:

Zaphod

Adventurer
Bah. Hose it. I'll leave it as-is. Not worth the effort.

Still, it will be interesting to see what my contact at Isuzu says would be the cost. I suspect that will put to bed ANY remaining doubts I may have. :yikes:

pete.wilson

Adventurer
Hey

I had a Webasto Electric sunroof in a 98 Dodge Quad cab and loved it; I had the motor go out but was able to get it closed. At the time I was living outside Detroit and was able to get a new motor installed and had a sliding plastic shade cover installed which I would highly recommend. Cut down on heat and sun glare. Cost me about $150 for both (2005). I really liked the sunroof although to be honest I wouldn't put one in my truck now only because of the overall cost. The Webasto never leaked, no matter how hard it rained and no problems with snow and ice in MI either.

Pete Wilson

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz