Barbecue Sauce

taugust

Adventurer
Someone mentioned barbecue sauce in another thread, which reminded me of my favorite. These recipes come from the book "How to Grill" by Steven Raichlen. I use it on all sorts of meats, but the best is smoked boneless pork ribs and brisket. The rub is great for any meat on the grill.

Basic Barbecue Sauce
makes about 2½ cups

2 cups ketchup
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons prepared mustard (French's)
1 tablespoon Tabasco Sauce (I cut this to ¼ tablespoon)
1 tablespoon of your favorite barbecue rub (see below)
2 teaspoons liquid smoke (I like mesquite)
½ teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and bring slowly to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and gently simmer the sauce until dark, thick and richly flavored, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the sauce to clean (or even sterile) jars and store in the refrigerator. It will keep for several months.

Basic Barbecue Rub

¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
¼ cup sweet paprika
3 tablespoons black pepper
3 tablespoons coarse salt
1 tablespoon hickory-smoked salt or more coarse salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons celery seeds
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to mix. (Use your fingers to break up any lumps of brown sugar). Store the rub in an airtight jar away from light or heat. It will keep for at least 6 months.

Last edited:

7wt

Expedition Leader
Call me lazy but I reach for the jar. Sweet Baby Rays, the best stuff I have found.

Mike_rupp

Adventurer
I met Steven Raichlen recently at a cooks & books dinner here in WA at a local winery. He's an interesting guy. The Barbeque Bible is a fantastic cook book. His recipes are spot on.

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
Call me lazy but I reach for the jar. Sweet Baby Rays, the best stuff I have found.

Yep! Good stuff here! I like to doctor my sauce up a bit with some additional minced garlic, onion, and something spicy like Tapatio or Cholula.

Yummy carmelized goodness on ribs & chicken! :sombrero:

taugust

Adventurer
I'm glad you both liked it. I think it's awesome as well. So much better than what comes from a bottle.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
I'll be making some of this stuff soon. I'm planning on smoking some tri tip and this would be a great compliment.

TKS for the cooking tips Tim. Your a regular :chef:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier