Chicken on a beer can - How to in camping.

EricGagne

Adventurer
Has anyone ever tried to cook a chicken on a beer can on a campfire or a coleman grill ? I'm wondering if it would work in anything other than a regular bbq with a cover.

Last edited:

rusty_tlc

Explorer
Interesting idea.

Maybe you could do it on gas stove.

How about putting the Chick-Can dealio in a cake pan directly on the stove then cover it with a big inverted stock pot?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
You might be able to do it with a coleman or over coals if you tent the whole pan and chicken with foil. But it's gonna take a long long time. You need some type of lid or cover to keep the heat in. Beer can chicken is all about using your grill or BBQ like an oven.

kjp1969

Explorer
You might be able to do it with a coleman or over coals if you tent the whole pan and chicken with foil. But it's gonna take a long long time. You need some type of lid or cover to keep the heat in. Beer can chicken is all about using your grill or BBQ like an oven.

I agree. Take the chicken, marinate it, split it down the middle, flatten it out and grill it whole.

Dang, now I'm hungry.

EricGagne

Adventurer
Interesting idea.

Maybe you could do it on gas stove.

How about putting the Chick-Can dealio in a cake pan directly on the stove then cover it with a big inverted stock pot?

That's what I was thinking of this morning. It would probably probably even work on a campfire. With an inverted pot covering it it should cook almost as fast as on a real grill.

spunky2268

Adventurer
Mini Beer Can Chicken

Not exactly the same, but I've done Cornish hens ala beer can. We got some of those Budweiser beers that had some energy additive to them. They were just the right size - I think about 8oz and narrower than regular cans. You might be able to do one or two of them in a large dutch; maybe even in a Smokey Joe. I don't know if Bud even makes that size can any more, since my health precludes me from imbibing.:( Now, the only time I go to the liquour store is for my fresh morels in the spring.

Spunky

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Not exactly the same, but I've done Cornish hens ala beer can. We got some of those Budweiser beers that had some energy additive to them. They were just the right size - I think about 8oz and narrower than regular cans. You might be able to do one or two of them in a large dutch; maybe even in a Smokey Joe. I don't know if Bud even makes that size can any more, since my health precludes me from imbibing.:( Now, the only time I go to the liquour store is for my fresh morels in the spring.

Spunky

Hey...I want to know more about the "...go to the liquour store is for my fresh morels in the spring."! I grew up picking morels and other mushrooms in Eastern Nebraska. And although I do find morels out here near Reno they are the black morels that don't eat as sweet as the blonde morels.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
Mmm Beer can chicken

It's making my mouth water
P7040080.JPG

P7040075.JPG

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I love beer can chicken! I have done like above everything from hen's to turkeys. As for in camp, I too have pondered this idea... how. It seems to take me about 1 hours per lb of chicken on the grill (mainly smoking), and like others have mentioned its about the cover. Other than trying to figure something out, i have found that taking pre-cooked beer can chicken works just as well, and it tends to keep in the Engel longer.

I'm keeping my eye on this thread though!

RHINO

Expedition Leader
several ways actually if you get a little creative, i have done it in a DO a couple times. i have seen several guys doing it in small grills with the cook grate removed to make it deeper.

one time i cut the top and one side off a cardboard box, lined it with alu foil and set it to the side of my camp fire with the chicken nestled up in it, the sides you cut off are on the ground and facing the fire, drag coals into it and start cooking. it worked so well that i made a folding metal box.

Ireland

Adventurer
several ways actually if you get a little creative, i have done it in a DO a couple times. i have seen several guys doing it in small grills with the cook grate removed to make it deeper.

one time i cut the top and one side off a cardboard box, lined it with alu foil and set it to the side of my camp fire with the chicken nestled up in it, the sides you cut off are on the ground and facing the fire, drag coals into it and start cooking. it worked so well that i made a folding metal box.

Thats thinking outside the box:clapsmile

EricGagne

Adventurer
As far as I know this chicken has to be cooked using indirect heat. That's pretty easy to do on a regular home grill. I think it should also be reasonably simple on a camping propane stove or even a campfire.

Stove: I'd say it requires a two burners stove and removing the 3 side panels. Put a large grill on top of the stove, start the burner on one side, put the chicken on the other and cover both sides with a large inverted pot. One could even give it a woody taste by putting a handfull of wet wood chips in an aluminum foil and put it on the side of the running burner.

Campfire: I'd use one of those fire rings available at camping gear stores. Make sure it's leveled and solidly seated on the ground, that gives you a nice leveled support on top of which you can put a large grill. I've never used one of those rings but I guess they are large enough to make the fire on one side and set the chicken on a beer can on the other side and cover it with the pot. The heat source could either be a fire or charcoal. The only problem I haven't solved yet is that the fire won't last as long as charcoal would in a closed grill so I need to find a way to "feed" it. I was thinking that I could cut a hole in the grill on the side of the fire through which I could add small logs but I would have to remove the covering pot and the heat would be lost. Maybe the solution is to use something rectangular instead of a pot to cover the chicken, it would leave room on the front of the grid where I'd have the hole to add wood logs.

I'm always amazed at how much thinking we can put into something just for fun and have good time and meal with friends........I'm sure my boss would love me to think that hard at work :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior