FireSteel Magnesium Fire Starters

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Does anyone have any experience with FireSteels? Do they work as one would hope. Or are you always hoping they actually work? They seem like a nice idea. Work forever. Nothing to wear out in the field...etc

http://www.campingsurvival.com/maflsufistst.html

http://www.campingsurvival.com/swfiar.html
campingsurvival_1998_48640

http://www.campingsurvival.com/aufistflstan.html
aurorapic2.jpg

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
After you've had some practice with them, how long does it take to get a good spark to light some tinder?

I've used the magnesium "shavers" in the past:
http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Issue-Magnesium-Survival-Starter/dp/B0002X1IOM/ref=pd_sim_sg_3

You shave off a small pile of the block of mag. then strike the flint with your knife to create a sprak and light the shavings. Magnesium burns VERY hot and I actually lit some wet bark on fire just testing out how well it worked.
Only problem with the magnesium is you need to have it shaved very fine, and a good little pile, about a tablespoon's worth. It doesn't sound like much, but using a dull knife to shave it off takes a long time! lol

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
I just use one of these

23131.jpg

but have been looking at the swedish steel ones.

oh and thanks for the new site Beowulf:victory:

ps. steel wool and a 9volt battery work good too

justfred

Adventurer
The magnesium one worked really well for me on a kayak campout once - it helped me almost slash the end of my left index finger off, and all I had to fix it was paper towels and direct pressure. Yes, I was holding it wrong; I was also a 13 year old boy scout, unsupervised at the time. I can still see the scar.

I got one of the others for christmas. I tend to think I'm likely to have it when I don't need it, and vice versa.

johnnyrover

Observer
Magnesium burns VERY hot and I actually lit some wet bark on fire just testing out how well it worked.
Only problem with the magnesium is you need to have it shaved very fine, and a good little pile, about a tablespoon's worth. It doesn't sound like much, but using a dull knife to shave it off takes a long time! lol

I don't make a large pile, just a few shavings in dry tinder will get it going quick.

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
Spark Fire Starters are a good backup. The Blast Match IMHO is the best as it can be used with one hand (In case you cant use both hands) and makes a pretty good spark.

http://www.ultimatesurvival.com/

Equally important is the use of the proper tinder. After all those sparks have to light someting right.... A cheap and easy tinder/fire starter it to take a cotton ball and knead a bunch of vasoline into it. Make a bunch and store them in a film can. They take off fast with just a spark even when wet so be careful. Take the first one you make outside and light it with a match to and you will see what I mean.

Mark

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I have had one or more of those 'metal matches' since I was a Boy Scout, a million years ago.

They also work great for lighting your coleman stove, but not so hot for the lantern. :)

TIP: Once you have your nice little 'birds nest' of tender, it's real easy to slide the knife off the end of the metal match and send your tender flying. It takes a little practice, but it works really well to hold the knife steady and draw the striker back towards you. That way the motion is away from the tender pile, and not as likely to destroy it.

absolute

Adventurer
I carry the Boy Scout metal match everyday! I've had it on my key chain for many years! One of the few things I never leave home without!:)

CSG

Explorer
All of them work well but the fire steels are a bit easier to use than the mag bar. The trick with the mag block is to use a scraper to shave it, not your knife blade edge. Where do you get a scraper? Well, depending on your knife, the back of the blade. Other blades like an awl blade, the scraper that comes with fire steels, a piece of hacksaw blade, etc.

The other thing with the shavings is to get enough in a pile. Most people fail because they put too little together. One trick is to shave them onto a patch of duct tape which will keep the pile cohesive and won't blow away in a breeze.

I have the Swedish fire steels in every pack along with a Bic lighter, strike anywhere matches and/or windproof matches, a Spark-Lite and three or four different types of tinder WetFire, TinderQuik, cotton balls, Purell, or a mag bar.

Rather than coating cotton balls in vasoline, carry the plain cotton balls in whatever container you want (they will take a spark easily as long as their dry) and give them a squirt of hand sanitizer when ready to spark. With the Purell or whatever hand sanitizer they will burn like a candle giving you enough time to build up your fire. What, you don't have a mini bottle of hand sanitizer? Get one!

Because I usually hike alone away from my vehicle, I get a little redundant when it comes to fire, shelter, and water procurement/cooking. If you always camp by your vehicle, much of this doesn't really apply.

Last edited:

sandalscout

Adventurer
I recently picked up one of the Light My Fire sticks after reading about them in a blog, the person that recommended it actually used it in conjunction with magnesium scrapings. Mine works great, once the coating was scrapped off. The company actually says that they anticipated 3000 passes before the rod is worn thin, but I suspect it's more like twice that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier