Looking for Tire Carrier Spindles

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I would like to compare some various Tire Carrier Spindles for a possible project. Please post sources if you have some.

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I used this one several times, from atoz. I like how easy it is to regrease

100_3749b.jpg

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
The best designs I've seen use a stock front spindle, bearings, and hub from that model vehicle. A little heavier than those listed, but a lot of spare parts you wouldn't have to store elsewhere. I've seen the same thing used on tire carriers for the actual tire mount. Food for thought.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
The best designs I've seen use a stock front spindle, bearings, and hub from that model vehicle. A little heavier than those listed, but a lot of spare parts you wouldn't have to store elsewhere. I've seen the same thing used on tire carriers for the actual tire mount. Food for thought.

yah but then if you use your spare parts you have to find a way to haul your swing out rack lol.

Alaska Mike

ExPo Moderator/Eye Candy
yah but then if you use your spare parts you have to find a way to haul your swing out rack lol.

Most people just re-install the bad parts, since it's not really required to be all that beefy. As long as the spindle isn't completely shot, it works just fine. I've seen cracked wheel hubs and bad bearing swapped, and a really nasty spindle.

Adventurer
After doing some research on tire carrier hinge systems I finally found some confirmation, in the form of pictures, spindle style hinges failing (cracking or shearing off)

The pics were found on a Jeep forum. Heres what I found.... scary stuff! :eek:

The first one....

broken-hinge.jpg

This guy was carrying a 35'' tire.... looks bigger then a 35'' to me, but whatever.

hinge3.jpg

You can see the crack in this pic...

hinge6.jpg

hinge5.jpg

BigAl

Expedition Leader
After doing some research on tire carrier hinge systems I finally found some confirmation, in the form of pictures, spindle style hinges failing (cracking or shearing off)

26 hours after the initial post...:elkgrin: I was expecting the spindle bashing to start much sooner:bike_rider:

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
Well, if someone wants to bash on spindles, that's fine. But don't bash them without offering an alternative.

Anything can break. Post up what you like and why. Don't just bash and run.

cruiser guy

Explorer
Well, if someone wants to bash on spindles, that's fine. But don't bash them without offering an alternative.

Anything can break. Post up what you like and why. Don't just bash and run.

Exactly!! I need to build tire carriers for both trucks since they are both getting long range tanks. If spindles are supposed to be crap, what to use?

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I was just being a smart MMMMM b/c in every tire carrier thread, someone trots out the same dozen or so pictures showing failures. I've had good luck with the splindle type hinges. i think the key is to design the carrier with as little movement as possible. The latching mechanism should hold it closed tight. I believe the spindles break due to vibration. Keep the tire as low as possible to lower leverage.

RonL

Adventurer
The problem with the type of spindle shown is that with that big of a nut and that fine of threads, one can actually stretch the spindle and this force with the load of the tire cause them to break at the bottom. There is nothing wrong with this design, if the nut is not over tighten. I like the type of spindle design that use a bolt, see attached pictures.

Attachments

• DSCF4011.JPG
    DSCF4011.JPG
    769.1 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 394

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
The problem in most cases is not the spindle but the design of the carrier and the latching mechanism that allows excessive movement in the carrier. This is a common mistake in DIY systems as well as the overloading, to big carrier situation. However a 1" spindle is not big enough. We use a 1.75" tapered spindle and we have never had a failure. Currently even being tested in Australia on their infamous corrugated roads and so far all is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online