Expedition Portal’s 2016 Holiday Gift Guide

Sleeping Pads: The Mother of All Reviews

SEMA 2016 Day Two :: Product Showcase

SEMA Showcase :: ARB Tacoma and Stainless Fridge

Overland Expo 2016 Embraced by the East Coast

The ExPo Shirts and Howlers Are Back!

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your camping / gear lists!

flyingwil is offline Overland Training Alumni Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
    My list file as a .doc is too large to attach. Scott can I e-mail you our new list? It worked great on our last trip to Baja, we finally came prepaired!
    Wil Kuhns KF7CDH
    Sierra Expeditions *Forum Sponsor* 866.507.4254
    The only regrets in life are the risks you didn't take.
    Mod Progress Gauge:[||||||----] = 60% Complete.

Quote Originally Posted by SLOwag
    I may have missed it on somebody's list but what about the pack it in, pack it out aspect of toilets. This is especially critical in areas seeing a lot of campers.
    Excellent point and definitely an item to consider and include if necessary. I almost never camp in areas that see a lot of campers, and the infrequent times when I do, there are usually pit toilets. I have yet to go on a trip where I am camping in a zone that requires (whether morally or legally) human waste to be packed out, but I know it will inevitably happen, and I will getting a PETT or similar so I will be prepared when the time comes. (The Rubicon trail or rafting the Grand Canyon would be examples). For the majority of my camping (which is usually always remote), I bury solid waste and always pack out the paper.

Here is FlyingWil's Camping List

Thanks for the submission Wil
    Scott Brady
    Instagram - @globaloverland

Overland Journal
    D1 | LJ78 | BJ74 |LR4 | MKIII | J8 | G-Wagen | Range Rover Classic | Moto Guzzi V7 | KLR650

flyingwil is offline Overland Training Alumni Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
    Quote Originally Posted by expeditionswest
    Thank you for hosting it and posting it up!
    Wil Kuhns KF7CDH
    Sierra Expeditions *Forum Sponsor* 866.507.4254
    The only regrets in life are the risks you didn't take.
    Mod Progress Gauge:[||||||----] = 60% Complete.

Default camping? lists

this really is more stuff than i even own!

sometimes i forget how much i have simplified my life...

These lists are great, I read one that said "brush", I'm thinking does he mean tooth brush, wisk broom, what??? Then I realized that having a buzz cut and loosing hair for the past 15 years, that I don't own a comb or brush anymore
    I love the check list idea, keep them coming

Quote Originally Posted by j_nigrelli
    this really is more stuff than i even own!

sometimes i forget how much i have simplified my life...
    Same here.
    http://seth.phizz.net
    Keep on keepin' on

Christophe Noel is online now Expedition Portal Team Adventure Bike Moderator
    Maybe it is the alpinist in me, but I carry the bare bones minimum. I started off climbing big mountains expedition style years ago. After a couple seasons climbing with Euro-alpinists on their quick assault type ascents, I realized you can do amazing things with a small (yet carefully selected) collection of gear.

I apply that to all my adventures. No matter how much stuff I used to bring, there would always be a moment when I'd think, "...wish I would have brought...."

I get a little scared when I read these list like I am not taking enough or something. Just about everything I need fits in a small action packer I call the weekend in a box. It holds my tent, my pots, two MSR stoves (one white gas and the other a canister along with a canister and two white gas bottles). All the food I take goes in a cooler or a small backpack for dry stuff and that's it. I can easily get three days on what I take, I can add another cooler and another action packer filled with food and I could stretch it out fo a couple of weeks.

This is pretty cool. It's fun to go through these lists--I see an awful lot of stuff that I just 'leave to memory'...an increasingly dangerous practice as I get older.

It would be interesting to include how you tailor your lists to the kind of camping you do. That is, what the major non-eating, non-sleeping activities are, and the duration. We do mostly light car-camping with hiking during the day, biking to be introduced this summer. By 'light' I mean we're faced with black bear in the camp site, but we're also within 10 minutes of a pit toilet and within 30 minutes of a Starbucks. I bring 12 gal of water and seldom use more than 4 for drinking AND washing dishes, etc. We do 2 nights, 3 days, generally...so everything we take easily fits in one cooler and whatever packs in around in the back of the jeep.

Hiking requires only a few pints of water, which I can carry for both of us in a Camelback type unit. If we were doing biking or fishing, the list needs to get tweaked. We've never combined camping with off-roading, so Mike's list with tool kit, etc., opened my eyes a bit. I usually think one or the other.

I like sausage. This is the only point of contention in 'outfitting' ourselves for a 3-day excursion...how much sausage is appropriate. My spouse brutally points out that I've lost 30 lbs of unecessary mass, largely thru the reduction of sausage and alcohol intake, and I reluctantly concede the fight. I've found camping has become more attractive by bringing far less food and...beverages...and more water. Gosh gettin' old sucks.

The biggies for these micro-excursions are:

2 20L jerry cans of water
    1 set of pots & skillet, camping style crap
    1 set of the usual utensils, with wine opener
    1 set of plates, bowls, cups
    6 (or so) handi-wipe type reusable cloth towels
    1 roll paper towels
    2-3 butane lighters
    1 bag charcoal
    1 box of Baby Wipes--indispensible, possibly 2nd only to the water
    1 bottle of sun screen (usually more like 3 bottles)
    1 zip-lok full of single serving coffee and tea bags
    2-3 small propane bottles (have never used more than 1)
    1 Coleman propane camp stove
    1 bag marshmallows (I hate them, but they're important)
    1 bottle of eco-friendly detergent (dishes)
    1 mondo flashlight for in the tent (spouse gets spooked by noises)
    1 spelunking-type headlamp for in the tent (I like to read at night)
    1 mondo lamp for the dinner table (I use LED battery now vs propane)
    2 camp chairs (2nd only to the Baby Wipes)
    1 Queen-sized inflatable air matress
    2 big-*** double-wide rectangular sleeping bags (we don't do 'mummy')
    1 high-speed internet connection (just kidding)
    1 cooler full of food and ice
    Last edited by Bongo Boy; 05-25-2007 at 06:02 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast