Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your camping / gear lists!

New on my list of equipment, although this should probably be in the category of tools: one laminated instruction sheet, extra large print, for tying 12 common knots.

I think among the most frustrating of my Basic Holes in Knowledge is how to tie, from memory, a few basic knots. Until I'm able to think through how the knot works and can remember how to tie it, a cheat sheet would be right up there with matches in terms of utility.

Quote Originally Posted by 7wt
    I get a little scared when I read these list like I am not taking enough or something.
    Keep in mind that some of the lists (like mine) are not a list of everything taken on a given trip (geez, that would kill me! ). They are comprehensive so they can be tailored from a local weekender trip, to a month-long stint out of a backpack in Thailand, or a 3-month overland trip through Mexico. You just cross off the sections/items that don't apply. I have just found that with the comprehensive list, I usually don't miss anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo Boy
    New on my list of equipment, although this should probably be in the category of tools: one laminated instruction sheet, extra large print, for tying 12 common knots.
    I just picked this up at REI. $5, 12 knots, compact, water-proof.

http://www.rei.com/product/681260
    Trevor Tarr, FRGS
    K6TAT
    1997 Land Rover D-90
    1968 Unimog 416 DoKa camper
    CampaATT expedition trailer

Quote Originally Posted by BajaTaco
    Keep in mind that some of the lists (like mine) are not a list of everything taken on a given trip (geez, that would kill me! ). They are comprehensive so they can be tailored from a local weekender trip, to a month-long stint out of a backpack in Thailand, or a 3-month overland trip through Mexico. You just cross off the sections/items that don't apply. I have just found that with the comprehensive list, I usually don't miss anything.
    My mother has a rule for her backpacking list. She has it on graph paper since it WAY pre-dates Excel. If something on the list doesn't make 3 trips, deliberately, then it gets lined-out on the list. If it gets then taken on two successive trips the line-out gets erased.
    I used to swerve around my hallucinations, now I drive right through them.

Christophe Noel is offline Expedition Portal Team Adventure Bike Moderator
    Holy cow....some of you guys take the kichen sink!!!

We just spent a week in Colorado hiking, mountain biking, camping and exploring the off roads and everything we had fit in the back seat of our Discovery. Bikes on the roof. Dog in the back.

I hate excessive gear management. Probably from my days as a backcountry guide managing gear for 8 other people.

Here's to hoping some of you guys are close to me when I forget my bread maker and DVD player!

[QUOTE=

Here's to hoping some of you guys are close to me when I forget my bread maker and DVD player![/QUOTE]

LOL.

Seriously though, thanks for all the ideas. We are spending a few days at the beach and we have been modifying some of your camping lists to fit our needs. Very helpful to have a template to work from. Thanks everybody.
    tjg
    Timothy Gillespie
    1972 FJ40, 1978 Engine Swap, SOA, 35's, 8274, Grandfathers WW2 Water Can on the back! SOLD--MIght buy Back. . .

Horizon Adventure Trailer NOT FOR SALE!!!

1996 FZJ 80. 158K, Black and Tan, Overland RTT, OME 2.5 Medium. . .

“We should come home from adventures, and perils, and discoveries every day with new experience and character”--Henry David Thoureau

If you're curious, here's my Winter SAR Checklist. My Spring/Summer/Fall list is the same with the exception of a modified clothing checklist.

Default My new pack list

It just so happens that this thread inspired me to make a new list.
    I used my old list and some of the lists here.
    Most important for me is where it goes in my chaos of truck and trailer so I have a load plan for each of the items. It needs to get more specific but it is a start,

My list of gear I actually own is probably to long to fit on the interweb.

But here's what I actually take on most trips.

Swag and sleeping bag.
    Army mess tin and hexy stove.
    Packs of noodles.
    Multitool.
    Surfboard.
    Wetsuit.

Less fuss. More fun.

We put approx 20,000 miles per year traveling in the truck. I'm prepping now for our first trip of the year. We're leaving next week for the Chihuahuan Desert (TX). I plan to kill this coming weekend building a storage rack into the bed of my F150. Should be a fun project...

I just started going over our gear (for my wife and I). After several years of packing too much stuff, I've whittled it down a bit.

In the cab:
    2 Macbooks & iPhones
    Inverter
    Sirius Satellite Radio
    Garmin Nuvi

Gear in the bed or on the roof:
    20'x10' EZ Up (Kenda Team Issue)
    10'x10' outdoor carpet
    propane heater
    Marmot Thor tent
    REI mummy bags (2)
    Air Matress
    Coleman 2 burner stove
    camp cooking kit
    5 gal H2O cans (4)
    Solar Shower
    Coleman cooler (2) filled with Bells Beer
    Xantrex Powerpack 1500
    Aux. camp lights w/10W CFL bulbs (2)
    Camp Chairs (2)
    Aluminium Folding tables (2)
    NiteRider TriNewt lighting system (2)
    5gal bucket (2)
    Bike tool kit/box
    bike repair stand
    bike floor pump
    power washer (5 gal)
    Tomac Carbide Mtb (Kenda Team issue 09....the wife's)
    Quiring Custom 29er Hardtail (mine)
    mass quantities of food, Clif Bars and eLoad

Of course, my wife has massive amounts of clothing (several duffles), and I have one small duffle, for every trip. If I could get her to pack lighter I could fit some more gear in the truck.....

We've been looking at expedition trailers, and I hope to put one together by next year. I'd like to get all the gear out of the truck so we're more mobile after setting up our camp or when we set up a pit for the races.
    2007 F150 5.4L 4X4 Super Crew

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast