Overland Journal: G-Wagen

zimm

Expedition Leader
It is sitting inside the office on a battery charger. Considering a diesel swap when I return from the South Pole.

contact me about your gas engine if you do so choose to swap.

there also may be a possibility of me having access to euro spec cummins light duty truck motors.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
contact me about your gas engine if you do so choose to swap.

there also may be a possibility of me having access to euro spec cummins light duty truck motors.

Thanks Zimm. Pretty intent on the 3L TD. I just need the time to participate in the swap. My first intention was to just have Thor do the swap, but I intend to use this truck in Baja and mainland Mexico, so I need to know how everything comes together and interfaces with the existing systems. Plus, I really enjoy working on the trucks. I am still going to have Thor do the swap, but I will participate in each step along the way.

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Thanks Zimm. Pretty intent on the 3L TD. I just need the time to participate in the swap. My first intention was to just have Thor do the swap, but I intend to use this truck in Baja and mainland Mexico, so I need to know how everything comes together and interfaces with the existing systems. Plus, I really enjoy working on the trucks. I am still going to have Thor do the swap, but I will participate in each step along the way.

Scott,

5cyl or 6cyl?
If early 5cyl, how will you get around backdating?
If 6cyl, 12V or 24V?
Ever considered the Sprinter OM612/647 5cyl TD swap? Looks more complicated but doable.

Inquiring minds want to know! :drool:

-Jeremy

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I'm assuming that's with an aftermarket ECU? Those things get expensive, fast.

-Dan

Factory ECU, using "custom" SKREEM(i.e. factory immobilizer/anti-theft) setup on ignition lock cylinder, and custom wheel speed sensor setup on driveshaft. At least one guy has put the OM612 into a Tacoma, another into a Ford F150….so if they're doing it, it should be done in another Mercedes!(yes I thought about it with my red W460 but I'd rather travel for a year than work on a project truck for a year)

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott,

5cyl or 6cyl?
If early 5cyl, how will you get around backdating?
If 6cyl, 12V or 24V?
Ever considered the Sprinter OM612/647 5cyl TD swap? Looks more complicated but doable.

Inquiring minds want to know! :drool:

My plan is to buy a mid-90's turbo diesel sedan and swap the engine over. I will only need to buy a few unique items to the G-wagen for that motor, including the oil pan and motor mounts. OM606, most likely with a mechanical pump conversion is the plan. . .

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
My plan is to buy a mid-90's turbo diesel sedan and swap the engine over. I will only need to buy a few unique items to the G-wagen for that motor, including the oil pan and motor mounts. OM606, most likely with a mechanical pump conversion is the plan. . .

Yours is a '96 right? If so, then finding a '96-00 E300TD with the OM606A (OM606.962; I-6 24V TD) would be perfect and essentially make a factory G300DT, no backdating of engine then. Going with the OM603A's(I-6 12V TD) mechanical injection pump means no electronics for the engine so that's good for KISS. Very jealous--there are only 3 of these factory G300DT's in the USA(black, green, silver) and I always wanted that setup in a G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier