Overland Journal: G-Wagen

grimbo

Explorer
This wrap is of medium quality (installation), but with a good 3M wrap. In white, I suspect the wrap will do well, but it has only been in the AZ sun for a week. I see a wrap as a good mid-term solution. I will likely do a complete respray in white if the wrap starts coming apart.

How has it gone over the last year? I'm looking at doing a spray on version, similar to plastidip but apparently a lot easier to apply. Just curious at how they look after a hot summer and cold winter?

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
OM606, most likely with a mechanical pump conversion is the plan. . .

I've been researching and planning that exact swap. Other guys that have done it and mated it to a 6-speed are seeing 30mpg easy.
Lots of the 6-speeds in later Merc sedans have the same pattern and bolt right up. Clutches and flywheels are known.
They suspect mileage would be even better if they re-geared and kept it as close to 1800rpm as possible for highway speed.
Apparently, that motor makes gobs and gobs of torque even that low in the rev range, and is an absolute pleasure to drive.

-Dan

otiswesty

Regular guy
Krash did this swap on his G350, the 606 with mechanical IP is tuned for power, I think his MPG is around 14-16. The four valves per cylinder and more HP are nice, but for a diesel I like the 603 (3L) better for long term reliability and serviceability.
I would even consider keeping the M104 AMG motor, put the om606 in a lesser equipt G like a ... Hmmm, can't think of one right off.

swb

Observer
In my W460 I have a OM606 n/a and for all the effort I would I would go to the OM606a (factory turbo) in hindsight.
I was hoping the n/a would have enough power without the complexity/heat/stress of a turbo (thinking along the lines of a modern OM617 - simplicity) but I am going to fit a low pressure Garrett TB25 to it, for more torque.
The OM606na is a good motor in its donor, a lighter sedan with a ECU and electonically controlled variable intake track. In my fully-mechanical G, it needs a turbo. All diesels have a turbo these days, a natural fit.
But the conversion (especially from a petrol) is no walk in the park.

Dont regret it for one minute.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Krash did this swap on his G350, the 606 with mechanical IP is tuned for power, I think his MPG is around 14-16.

Wow, that sounds horribly bad.

Check around the clubwagon forums, there are tons of guys getting up around 30mpg with 6-speeds.
i.e. http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2913
http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3740

The four valves per cylinder and more HP are nice, but for a diesel I like the 603 (3L) better for long term reliability and serviceability.
The cams are chain driven, so I don't see them hurting reliability at all.

Plenty of guys on superturbodiesel and pushing huge power out of 606s and 605s.. the only thing they break are gearboxes and other drive line components. The engines are bulletproof.

-Dan

Scott Brady

Founder
I am still yammering and waffling on the swap. The 3.6 short block "es'ploded" last year, sending a rod through the $1,300 oil pan. Now that I am back in the US for some period of time, I really want to get the G back on the road. However, I don't really plan to use this truck for international travel, so the diesel is so much less compelling, particularly with the highway speeds in the US. The truck is also geared for the 3.2, which would limit road speeds to 60mph or so on cruising.

Currently, I am just leaning towards another 3.6 short block and then just enjoy driving it in the desert Southwest. It is, at the moment, a very expensive office decoration. . .

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Honestly, after running a 2.8L VM diesel daily for awhile. I've come back around from being a diesel proponent to preferring a nice simple gas motor. For a diesel with enough grunt to move a two ton + 4x4 decently, it won't do much better in overall economy than a comparable gas engine, especially when actually in 4x4 and off road conditions. Couple that with poorer cold-weather performance, maintenance costs and higher cost of fuel, and a louder, more agricultural experience, the reasons aren't that compelling to go diesel, especially in terms of overall running costs. Advantages I really like about a diesel are the low rpm torque, and lots of it, and a marginally better range. Of course there is the wading performance, but modern electronic diesels won't help you there much and how many people run their diesels that deep anyway?

David

chris505

Observer
Wow, that sounds horribly bad.

Check around the clubwagon forums, there are tons of guys getting up around 30mpg with 6-speeds.
i.e. http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2913
http://www.clubgwagen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3740

-Dan

Its important not to overlook the difference between US and UK fuel consumption figures.

30mpg in England is ~25mpg in the USA. Vastly different driving environments between flat Britain and the mountainous western USA should also be considered.

When I converted Krash's G from 4.11:1 to 4.86:1 axle ratio his average fuel economy actually rose a few MPGs to ~19mpg (US). I suspect these figures would improve further if he had a transmission with the deep overdrive found in certain 6 speed manual boxes (he has 350GD 4 speed auto).

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Its important not to overlook the difference between US and UK fuel consumption figures.

30mpg in England is ~25mpg in the USA. Vastly different driving environments between flat Britain and the mountainous western USA should also be considered.

When I converted Krash's G from 4.11:1 to 4.86:1 axle ratio his average fuel economy actually rose a few MPGs to ~19mpg (US). I suspect these figures would improve further if he had a transmission with the deep overdrive found in certain 6 speed manual boxes (he has 350GD 4 speed auto).

Exactly. That's probably empty mileage too. Load that up and go off road and that 19 drops down quickly. I think Scott Brady said they were only doing 13 or something like that in their loaded E7 Land Cruiser 70's with the latest Toyota V8 turbo diesels. My Range Rover 3.9 gas engine loaded and off road does about 9-10 mpg. I think around a 3-5 mpg difference is common between gas and diesel in most cases I've experienced. I've owned both gas and diesel Jeep KJ's and that was what it boiled down to there as well. However, that extra 3 mpg goes a long way to increasing range, which is a very important advantage off road, and being able to access a lot of torque at the low end.

otiswesty

Regular guy
Okay, I didn't know the motor was already a goner. A swap is reasonable, but a replacement m104 is way easier and requires relatively little time investment as you know. The om606 has fuel line issues due to the o-rings, that can be avoided with preventative maintenance, and the injectors can be a bit of a bugger too.

Yes I like the diesel improved economy and higher energy per liter in BTUs, but it has limitations as well. I was a big diesel fan when I drove the 300GD, Now after a couple of Mercedes diesel sedans and gassers (cdi, m103, and m104), I have to say that the benefits of a diesel are pretty slim here in the USA. If you can't travel and want a driveway project to keep busy then that is another story. However, many of these conversions end up being poorly done, unfinished (95% complete) or are associated with compromises that would have never left the factory simply for reasons of cost savings or parts availability. I have even seen the common 617a conversions coming up from reputable sources in California with exhaust routing that makes me want to shout out in dismay.

With the way diesel prices are right now I am not sure diesel is the best option on the market. Where I live diesel is about $4 a gallon and Gas is $3 per gallon. On the open road I will get 18-19mpg in my G500 and I can live with that. I know others get much less mpg's with there G500's so I do feel fortunate to get such excellent MPG out of my big V8. To swap in a diesel motor would be cost prohibitive and rob me of performance. I love diesels and I will continue to have multiple diesels in my driveway, but I prefer the Mercedes gas engine because it is a thoroughbred and it brings a smile to my face. And lets face it, if you can afford a G-wagon, you should be able to afford to put gas in it.

Byways

Adventurer
G caravan

g-360_pan.jpg

This is a Europa imported G-Class, and has a 3.6L straight six and the factory trio of differential locks. These early Europa Gs are preferable to the newer trucks (for me) for several reasons, including system simplicity, the extremely reliable 6-cyl and legendary Mercedes build quality during the mid and late 90s.

We are excited to celebrate the 30 year anniversary of the G-Class with one of our own.

I had the privilege some years ago of traveling for several days with Europa founder Dave Holland and the Europa crew through the San Juans, in Colorado, with a fleet of Gs. We even linked up with the G Club of Germany. Dave didn't hesitate to put his newly U.S.-adapted Gs to the test ...

I doubt so many Gs have been in the same place in the U.S. before ... or since??

BlackBearStreamCross.jpg

Poughkeepsie-Gulch.jpg

BlackBearColorado.jpg

GsOnRidge.jpg

CoupleImogene.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
I had the privilege some years ago of traveling for several with Europa founder Dave Holland and the Europa crew through the San Juans, in Colorado, with a fleet of Gs. We even linked up with the G Club of Germany. Dave didn't hesitate to put his newly U.S.-adapted Gs to the test ...

Great images Tony, thanks for sharing them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles