Overland Journal: G-Wagen

chris505

Observer
Who was in that motor last?

Kinda looks like the 2 rod bearing bolts of #6 backed out, any records or evidence that the oil pan was previously removed?

That Brabus M103 motor is cool but golly, its not a very cost effective option is it?

Have you considered just installing a standard M103 in place of the Brabus "window maker" (This G came off the assembly line with standard 170hp M103, right?). That should save you roughly $28,000.

Scott Brady

Founder
I bought the 463 with the Brabus conversion and it only had about 80,000 miles on it, which is nothing for that motor. I think it was an assembly issue, given the bolts.

Right now, I am leaning towards a stock 3.2L and going through the entire drivetrain. It will cost nearly the same, but the entire truck will be fresh.

I thought long and hard about the diesel swap, and have mostly decided to stick with the gas (and stock) configuration. I am working with a solid shop here in Prescott, and we are discussing the OM606 route a bit more.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
I thought long and hard about the diesel swap, and have mostly decided to stick with the gas (and stock) configuration. I am working with a solid shop here in Prescott, and we are discussing the OM606 route a bit more.

You should be able to finish the OM606T for a lot less than $10k, depending on how much you want to do yourself.
Though the engine will likely have ~100k miles.

-Dan

ripperj

Explorer
Dude! You shouldn't have used the words "extremely reliable " in the intro post!!!

That sux!!

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

zimm

Expedition Leader
you should donate the ****ty head to me. you dont want that anywhere near your new motor. ...

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Man that sucks about the engine, I only recently saw pictures on FB. I would have so just put a Turn Key v8 in it. For $10kish you get 400-500hp, 3-wire hook up to install, common parts, not bad on the fuel and light weight not ot mention brand new. That is me though and I understand keeping it MB. I also have zero issues here with smog or engine swaps, Wyoming after all.

http://www.turnkeyenginesupply.com/

Unfortunately the pictures of that blown motor reminded me of this.

Good luck getting it back on the road, that is painful on the wallet for sure.

Cheers

swb

Observer
Unfortunately the pictures of that blown motor reminded me of this.

Dont know why it would remind you of that. A trip where they killed a heap of shockies which were the wrong type for the conditions, driving far too fast with very poor preparation which resulted in an embarassing PR flop. Notice the W461's were fine with their better shocks, ride height and baggier (16") tyres.
Nothing as serious as a blown engine though.

AFSOC

Explorer
Dont know why it would remind you of that.

I would probably say the frustration and disappointment is where the comparison can be drawn. We can come up with any number of justifying statements we want but the bottom line is that when an automobile's performance doesn't live up to your expectation, it is frustrating and disappointing.

Gelandewagons may have it tougher than any other automobiles because most people have very unrealistic impressions of their capability and reliability. Unrealistic impressions do lead to unrealistic expectations, it's difficult to live up to legend. Whether you sit on the Canning Stock while replacement parts are delivered or you grenade a 130,000km engine on the interstate, there is a sense of frustration and disappointment shared in either situation.

zimm

Expedition Leader
i wonder if thats reflective of the inherent motor strength or brabus. mine has a bit under 300,000 on it.

did brabus use different rods/pistons, or did they leave the bottom alone?

zimm

Expedition Leader
you may want to get a new engine harness too. youre on the edge of the "biodegradable" wire insulation years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles