Overland Journal: G-Wagen

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Agreed that no roof load would be optimal, but as you've now found out, a RTT on a G is really no issue. A G with upgraded suspension handles the roof loads with ease. I once had to avoid a dog in the 2lane road at night while traveling 50mph, and even with my FR rack/Autohome Columbus Variant/Fiamma/Maxtrax/axe/shovel/Rigid LED, such an evasive maneuver was controllable and safe (the dog ran away home unharmed).

I noticed the Autohome(small?) is white--so did they come out with a Columbus Carbon in white, or did you wrap it white to match the G?

WAIT UP, hold the press!!! Is that an Action Packer I see? Scott Brady is using an Action Packer vs a Zarges or AluBox??? :sombrero:

Scott Brady

Founder
I noticed the Autohome(small?) is white--so did they come out with a Columbus Carbon in white, or did you wrap it white to match the G?

I was really surprised by how well the G took the roof load, even in the more spirited driving on 89a.

It is a standard Columbus, not the carbon. It is the unit we used for the Overland Journal RTT test. I really like the tent. I was expecting to be indifferent, but it was one of the best nights sleep I have had camping since the EarthRoamer.

Scott Brady

Founder
Here is my storage / camping gear. I use the drawer system and then all soft dry bags (from Enduristan) that I lash down with Quickie Tiedowns.
10365311_10154579412123275_4491308650615022688_o.jpg

carbon60

Explorer
I sleep better in my hard shell RTT than in my bed at home. So it would be hard to convince myself the roof load was a problem. :)

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I was really surprised by how well the G took the roof load, even in the more spirited driving on 89a.

It is a standard Columbus, not the carbon. It is the unit we used for the Overland Journal RTT test. I really like the tent. I was expecting to be indifferent, but it was one of the best nights sleep I have had camping since the EarthRoamer.

If you think it's good now, add a 2" memory foam topper. Heaven in under 1minute deployment!!

Scott Brady

Founder
I am working on the G-Class in preparation for Overland Expo West.

New Hutchinson wheels. The guys at Mastodon have a fair price on them and can get the civilian and military offset
IMG_9316.jpg

I am also installing a slightly more powerful winch with both a wired and wireless remote. As a result, I am selling my Viking G-9 with the synthetic line, if anyone is interested.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/155270-Viking-9-000-lb-Winch-W-Synthetic-Line
attachment.php

Starting to work on a ton of other details, including installing a HAM radio (I have just been using an HT), charging points, etc.

brushogger

Explorer
I really don't understand companies like LR and Mercedes putting low profile tires on anything that is intended for off road use. My '04 Discovery came factory with lo pro 18's and I was scared to death of tearing up a sidewall before switching to 16's. Also some of the wheel sizes severely limit your choice of tire. OTOH, the Hutchinsons will be a great choice for your G. Beautiful truck.

Scott Brady

Founder
What winch are you going to go with now Scott? How has the "Viking" been?

The Viking is solid, though I did not use that particular one for any recoveries. It is essentially a Superwinch 9,000 with the good contactor soleniod. Same also as ComeUp, which I used in Antarctica. I am going with the ComeUp fully sealed (i.e. Waterproof) 9.5

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
The Viking is solid, though I did not use that particular one for any recoveries. It is essentially a Superwinch 9,000 with the good contactor soleniod. Same also as ComeUp, which I used in Antarctica. I am going with the ComeUp fully sealed (i.e. Waterproof) 9.5

Thanks for the good news on the what-is-a-ComeUp. I'm installing a ComeUp Gen2 16.5S now vs a Warn 16.5Ti. The ComeUp looks beefy!!

SkiFish

I really don't understand companies like LR and Mercedes putting low profile tires on anything that is intended for off road use. My '04 Discovery came factory with lo pro 18's and I was scared to death of tearing up a sidewall before switching to 16's. Also some of the wheel sizes severely limit your choice of tire. OTOH, the Hutchinsons will be a great choice for your G. Beautiful truck.

Off-road users don't pay the bills. It's not rocket science. No one pays $70k+ for a vehicle look to go,off-road,,other than the .0005%

I'm just glad LR still makes an off-road capable truck despite the fact hardly any of their customer base will ever use it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior