Overland Journal: G-Wagen

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
You're going to love the FR drawer system Scott. So handy to keep gear stealthy, great upper platform to secure other gear to, and makes a flat bed platform with rear seat backs are folded down. Now FR wants you to drill thru the rear wheelwells for installation; eek! I did a custom install on mine, using the 4 factory D-ring fastener holes. I'd be happy to share my pics if you're interested. Feel free to email if you'd like.

-Jeremy

cols110

Observer
Scott, I take it your main battery is on the LHS in the rear of the vehicle unlike the post 2002 models.

I wanted to fit a set of FR rear draws to my 2000 G55 but due to the battery being in the rear swayed against it & fitted a shelf similar to Don's shown above which I have ratchet strapped into place. The reason for the shelf & having it strapped instead of bolted is if I need to access the battery in a hurry it is far easier to access and no tools are required. The thought of needing to unbolt & possibly remove a FR drawer set up every time I need to replace the battery was far more of a negative point than the positives of fitting.

If you do fit one I will be interested in hearing how you go accessing the battery.

Scott Brady

Founder
Scott, I take it your main battery is on the LHS in the rear of the vehicle unlike the post 2002 models.

I wanted to fit a set of FR rear draws to my 2000 G55 but due to the battery being in the rear swayed against it & fitted a shelf similar to Don's shown above which I have ratchet strapped into place. The reason for the shelf & having it strapped instead of bolted is if I need to access the battery in a hurry it is far easier to access and no tools are required. The thought of needing to unbolt & possibly remove a FR drawer set up every time I need to replace the battery was far more of a negative point than the positives of fitting.

If you do fit one I will be interested in hearing how you go accessing the battery.
Interesting... My battery is in the engine compartment.

I think the drawer system will be particularly useful for how I travel in the G, and my other interests (i.e. Firearms) that benefit from secure storage

McBride

Adventurer
What could be more fun than a day full of guns and G's!

Newbie question - what does NTV stand for?

Thanks.

McBride

Adventurer
Got it. Thanks. Now I see why you want Hutchinsons on the G. You'll put them to good use; they offer better cover than OEM wheels.

I wonder if Hutchinson makes run flats for the G?

William

NYCRover

Observer
why the 90 degree cant on the AR? dual optics or more lower profile/muzzle awareness so the engine block doesn't get shot out accidentally?

I would have an anxiety attack running carbine drills inside and around my G. But then again, I'm just a rec shooter.

Scott Brady

Founder
why the 90 degree cant on the AR? dual optics or more lower profile/muzzle awareness so the engine block doesn't get shot out accidentally?

It is all about the shooter's profile. The target was at 140 meters, so even at an angle with a magnified optic, it is an easy shot.

Some interesting NTV training with the G this weekend

attachment.php

"No officer, that's not GSR all over my hood, I host a cigar club." :ar15::safari-rig:

XVENTURE TRAILERS

Supporting Sponsor - XVENTURE Trailers
More of Scott's G-Wagon and XV-2 Deluxe. Looks sweet!

Mecedes G-Wagon XVENTURE Front.jpg

G-Wagon Back -1.jpg

G-Wagon XV-High.jpg

G-Wagon XV Back Curbside.jpg

G-Wagon Angle Front.jpg

Attachments

• G-Wagon Front-1.jpg
    G-Wagon Front-1.jpg
    539.4 KB · Views: 103
  • G-Wagon Back XV-1.jpg
    G-Wagon Back XV-1.jpg
    542 KB · Views: 96