Overland Journal: G-Wagen

Scott Brady

Founder
The new engine has arrived and is through final assembly. Should be on the road within a week! :)

y5ery2en.jpg

eqy9ydeb.jpg

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
Even factory-style shirts, impressive.
Glad to see the lump back in the engine bay already.

Scott Brady

Founder
Installed and fired. Every hose was replaced, even the ones deep behind the dash. They are going to drive the truck through next week, then I hope to have it back by Friday or early the next week. :wings:

image.jpg

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Hey Scott,

Sorry if I missed this, but is this an "engine swap" to a different engine??? I'm think seeing a straight 6, but I thought your G had a V6 in there from the factory... Lovely to see it up and running again though, congrats.

Cheers

Dave

Scott Brady

Founder
First Drive

The shop noted a minor driveline vibration, so I wanted to check it out. My first chance to drive the G with the new motor. Starting it up, the truck is now so smooth and settled into a calm purr. The new motor mounts and driveline mounts greatly improved NVH. These guys are so particular (a good thing IMO), that I could hardly feel any driveline vibration, and it is a huge improvement from before. I am convinced it is a slight rear driveshaft vib due to the lift. It used to cause the t-case shifter to hum - now it is silent. I am really happy with the result and the power is only down a little from before (seat of the pants). Such a heavy truck, that brisk acceleration was never expected anyways. They are going to continue to drive and check the car, then do an oil change and open the filter to inspect for any issues.

I get the keys on Monday - pretty excited.

10269444_10152774979348275_8904399892183499139_n.jpg

Last edited:

Byways

Adventurer
It's a terrific look, Scott. I like its simple, understated style ... The beast lurks beneath.

The shop noted a minor driveline vibration, so I wanted to check it out. My first chance to drive the G with the new motor. Starting it up, the truck is now so smooth and settled into a calm purr. The new motor mounts and driveline mounts greatly improved NVH. These guys are so particular that could hardly feel the driveline vibration, which is now better then before. I am convinced it is a slight rear driveshaft vib due to the lift. It used to cause the t-case shifter to hum - now it is silent. I am really happy with the result and the power is only down a little from before (seat of the pants). Such a heavy truck, that brisk acceleration was never expected anyways. They are going to continue to drive and check the car, then do an oil change and open the filter to inspect for any issues.

I get the keys on Monday - pretty excited.

10269444_10152774979348275_8904399892183499139_n.jpg

DiscoDino

Observer
Looking great! My 2012 G500 is serving me well here in Dubai with some goodies (285/75-16 BFG AT/KO, Hutch WA-1207, ORC transfer case skid, custom sliders, custom winch bumper with integrated skid plate, Warn 9.5 XP-S, Front Runner rack, rear ladder, rear spare tire storage compartment and 2.5" RR King adjustables, etc...).

Out of curiosity, what lift did you end up with? I was speaking to Thor about the ARB springs...curious to know what you ended up with?

Cheers,
Nadim

Scott Brady

Founder
It currently has factory Mercedes purple springs. I do not have enough seat time to make a performance comment, but they take the weight of the winch and provide about 1" of lift.

I am fighting the intense desire for Hutchinsons

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne

Members online