Overland Journal: G-Wagen

TechMOGogy

Observer
Oh, I thought you were happy with the wrap. Why was it a disaster as it seems to have been on the truck for a long time?
Was actually thinking of doing one because of this thread so any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
New 1996 Puch 350GDT Worker owner (as in two days ago)

Scott Brady

Founder
Oh, I thought you were happy with the wrap. Why was it a disaster as it seems to have been on the truck for a long time?
Was actually thinking of doing one because of this thread so any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan
New 1996 Puch 350GDT Worker owner (as in two days ago)

They just dont hold up, and when we removed the wrap from our Land Cruiser, it damaged the paint (enough to require a repaint).

They seem like a good idea at first...

CLMorgan

Observer
Been a while since checked this thread, she looks good with updated grill, DRLs and Hutchinson rims. Also nice to get feedback on wraps.

Scott Brady

Founder
I am currently doing research on upgraded steering dampers for the W463. Information is limited.

The Fox shocks have made such a huge difference that I am tempted to incorporate a Fox steering damper. The stock unit is just not up to the task of larger tires and wheels in corrugations, etc. The Hutchinsons are heavy and they did not balance perfect either, so this has induced some light to moderate wobble. Typically a steering damper is NOT the way to solve this problem, but my stock damper is already shot.

Has anyone fitted an aftermarket, adjustable damper? I am tempted to make this one work. . . they are magic on JKs
http://www.ridefox.com/product.php?m=truck&t=shocks&p=21&ref=filter

ps-ats-stabilizer-main.jpg

ILIAN

Adventurer
I have fitted 2 bilstein steering shocks that are made for LR Disco II. I tested them both for a bit and was happy. Now I have 1 off to make a few changes to the custom brackets. Are you going to be at the VOR? If yes I can show you my setup there.

ILIAN

Adventurer
The bolt holes on the Bilstein are 12mm vs 10mm on the OEM shock so you need to do something about that. The Bilstein is gas pressurized so it will push the steering right slowly if you let go of the steering wheel. You will notice this more if you have a lift and smaller caster angle. That's why I decided to install 2 of them and IMO you need 2 if you have 35's.

Scott Brady

Founder
I stripped the G down a bit in anticipation of the repaint at Mastodon.

Naked G. . .
13735108_10155079364448275_1885398797025408890_o.jpg

I did get a chance to prove-out my interior sleeping configuration. It is perfect.
13653354_10155080259028275_5595186504148220584_o.jpg

The canyoneering was worth it too
13679971_10155083720548275_6030732962668725358_o.jpg

KlausVanWinkle

Explorer
They just dont hold up, and when we removed the wrap from our Land Cruiser, it damaged the paint (enough to require a repaint).

They seem like a good idea at first...

Have you had any experience with the self healing clear wraps like Xpel or 3Ms clear bra? I wonder if they have the same issues. I've been considering it for the doors on my dark grey rubicon or when looking at black G500s for my wife.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz