Hankook ATM RF10

1leg

Explorer
No issues in rain or snow. But I drive like my grandpa when the weather gets bad.

6000lbs and growing suburban needed E rated. If you spend alot of time like I do on dirt roads(ranch) E rated tires seem to last just a little longer. Just my .02

saburai

Explorer
I put them on the Tacoma specifically to get around the elephant-on-skates feel the mud terrains I had gave in the rain. These are a HUGE improvement. Maybe not Goiodyear Aquatreads, but they give reasonable confidence and have produced no scary moments, which was not true for the KMs. Hankook makes a deal of how they designed the tread for good wet traction, and while I'm no expert, I doubt that any tire with similarly strong off-road credentials could do better.

One of the main reasons I picked the ATM RF10 was because of the wet performance. My XJ with the RTT, Jerry cans, water system, fridge and a cubic butt load of tools and supplies is heavy! We do a bunch of highway driving. I've been in a few dicey situations in the wet and the Hankooks saved my ***. I'm a believer :smiley_drive:

Navman

Adventurer
Another vote for the Hankooks here. I put them on the LR3 and love them. No complaints road, dirt, rocks...dry, wet, and snow.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
OldSven suggested that I should post some pictures of the 285/75x16 Hankooks on my Tacoma. Here ya go:

P1000831.jpg

P1000830.jpg

P1000829.jpg

P1000828-1.jpg

I still like them quite well.

Willman

OldSven suggested that I should post some pictures of the 285/75x16 Hankooks on my Tacoma. Here ya go:

P1000831.jpg

P1000830.jpg

P1000829.jpg

P1000828-1.jpg

I still like them quite well.

Love it Mike!

Are those 7" rims?

How are the 5:29 gears working out with the tire change?

:drool:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the compliment, my friend.

Are those 7" rims?
Yep, the same Outback Performance TX-1 7x16Js that came on the truck from Trail Monkey. That's a half-inch narrower than Hankook recommends. But the rims' offset/backspacing was spot on for what I needed to clear the suspension components in the front and the tires went on, and are staying on, with no trouble, and they look reasonable. Finding wider rims to cram in the space available could have been an expensive experiment. I'm guessing it won't be optimal if I try airing down into single digits, but I can always go back to the 255/85s if that sort of situation is anticipated.

How are the 5:29 gears working out with the tire change?
My personal opinion is that the 5.29s are the key element in making the truck functional on big tires. In fact, Scott Brady showed genius in picking them out even though it would seem at first like they would severely restrict highway cruising. The thing is, though, that the truck weighs something over 6000 pounds and those gears are a key element in making the truck practical to drive, especially with big tires. The big gears make acceleration feel about the same as stock and the cruise is more than relaxed enough for normal speeds. The new wider tires don't weigh much different and aren't much taller than the old KMs, so the tire swap didn't make any power difference I can feel. But on either set of tires, the whole truck would be a lot less satisfying without the magic gears.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Lookin' good Mike. Glad you're happy with them. We've been running the Mud-version for quite some time and we've been happy with the results.

Remember, if you ever unload those wheels, .. i call DIBS! :D

Flagster

Expedition Leader
I put 265/75/16s (load range E) on my GMC3500 (beater) two weeks ago...Have put about 500 miles on the tires and I am very impressed. Quiet on the highway, great traction on loose dirt (I live about 2 miles off pavement on a graded dirt road), and great traction in the snow...actuallly the best snow traction I have ever had without snowtires/studs/chains.
We got about 18 inches of snow this weekend here in Flagstaff, AZ...I used the truck all weekend...no 4x4 needed...great traction...drove up unplowed FS roads to go snowshoeing and the tires did great...made my mind up since I am also looking to replace the ats on my Tacoma...

arlon

Adventurer
Where are the HanKooks made? I was wanting a set of Cooper AT3's but the tire shop has been telling me next week for three weeks and this morning they said 2 weeks. They may never get them in at this rate so I was considering the HanKook RF10's in P235/70/16 for my van.. I could almost buy 5 HanKooks for the price of the Coopers.

c-bot

I just purchased a set of 5 of these Hankooks for my '04 Grand Cherokee in the 255/65/17 flavor. The Jeep is a DD that will see mild to moderate trails. I've had these on the road for about 300 miles now and I like them a lot. Traction in the rain has been great, they are very quiet, and the tread pattern looks like it will still work well in the dirt and mild rocks. So far I'm very happy with them.

arlon - I was considering the AT3's myself, but tire shop (America's Tire Co.) told me they are a good tire when you can get them. Availability is not the best with them as Cooper apparently waits for a backlog of orders then does a production run so you could be waiting a while. My Hankooks took 3 days to ship and I was told the availability is better.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
Need to replace my BFG AT tires on my 4runner and I am looking close at the Hankook ATM evendough I have 63k and no issues on my BFG tires!
runner is my DD and I drive mainly on pavement!

gwittman

Adventurer
I saw a set of these end their life when two of them (on the rear) totally split the side walls on a off-road trip. This came near stranding the vehicle but we were able to salvage a spare off of another Ranger to get it to a shop for new tires. I don't know what all these tires experienced during their lifetime but were said to have always been aired properly. They had been aired down while off-road. They were not worn out but were getting on the low side of thread depth.

It was the only vehicle out of eight that had tire problems on this trip.

Haakon

Observer
I had a set on my 99 Tahoe, they were close to new when I got it. They were quiet and did well on wet roads, didn't notice anything particularly exceptional about them on gravel roads, they didn't work nearly as well as BFG KO's did on my Suburban in snow. I didn't even consider getting another set when they wore out, they just didn't light my fire. I almost got some BFGs again but my brother in law liked the Wild Country XTX so I got them to give them a shot. Haven't had them in snow yet but everywhere else they've been just as good as the Hanooks.

They're a little more aggressive than the Hankooks, larger voids, just as quiet on the road, they've worked fine on dirt and gravel roads and mild off road, another month or two and I should have a chance to try them in snow on the same road (my driveway) and similar conditions as the other tires.

Wild Country XTX
35776d1332544987-new-fuel-krank-wheels-wildcountryradialxtxsport.jpg

Rebelord

Semper Fi
I run the ATM RF10 on my Pathfinder for DD duty. Work great on the street in dry and wet times down here in Miami.
The only thing to note is mine are Standard Load and the sidewalls are a little soft. But I cant complain about them at all. Much better than the Yokohoma ATS I had before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94