Hankook ATM RF10

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I just read a positive review in Petersons 4WOR magazine, but keep in mind the mags/sites pad the reviews to keep paying advertisers happy. I have heard there's a good warranty on them though!

saburai

Explorer
I just read a positive review in Petersons 4WOR magazine, but keep in mind the mags/sites pad the reviews to keep paying advertisers happy. I have heard there's a good warranty on them though!

My thoughts exactly!

They do look to be quite good, just waiting to hear of some first hand experiences...

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Hankook ATM tires, my review.........outstanding!!

Hello ..... I have 4 of these tires (and x-tra spare) mounted on my 2009 4x4 Ford Ranger super cab and have since early June of this year (2010). Not that long, but... I made two long road trips up to and back to the James Bay region of northern Quebec, James Bay Road, asphalt 620 km. x2, North Road 406 km x2 the Trans -Tiaga Road, 745 km. x2, NR and TTR are gravel with varing surfaces from loose stones marble sized with a few bigger ones thrown in (to keep you alert) to hard packed, few pot holes and very little washboard, well maintained, dust when dry/slime when wet. The JBR has some good whoop-de-do's and some good frost heaves that have to be watched for, but are pretty well marked. In the rain,many puddles. I was comfortable at 60 mph. as the road's are pretty straight, gently sweeping curves and almost no traffic! very remote, few services, gas, etc. etc. You do not want any mechanical/tire failures, or run off the road, hit a moose!..... you could be screwed! even w/sat. telephone help could take time and $$. My truck was equipped/loaded for 2 wks of unsupported travel (except for fuel),I did carry 20 reserve gal. on a hitch mounted carrier however and got gas whenever I could) I slept under my Leer topper. These distances were from where my trips started, not counting home to Montreal then north to the JB region which was a lot of interstate and 2 lane roads. Ok....... a little bit about my trip(s) these Hankook tires preformed FLAWLESSLY! on all surfaces, hard, soft, wet /dry did not matter, with sipping, wet... no problem, hard/soft surface at higher speeds. Dry.... again no problem hard pavement/gravel/loose dirt with the tread extending up the sidewall about 1 1/2 in. not a fear of a side wall failure (it was hot when dry and cool when wet) My size tire is 255 R 70 16 run at suggested TP. I can recommend them, so far as I am concerned, I "wrung" em out.... they passed. stay safe, mjmcdowell (I know this reply is almost a yr. later to the question.... hope it helps someone tho, m)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
In case this thread has a revival . . .

I think they are outstanding. Counting spares, I had eight of them when I had the AdventureDuo's 80/Horizon setup and I thought they were perfect for the truck. Now, based on that experience, I just took the BFG KM mud terrains off the Tacoma and put new 285/75x16s in their place. So much more secure in the wet weather we'll have for the next eight months, and with the added benefit of a dramatic improvement in ride and noise.

All in all, they get my highest rating.

RusM

Adventurer
AMAZING in the snow and ice! Not so great in the mud, but they're not mud tires. They are wearing very well on my dads F150 too.

TRACTION

Adventurer
I have them on my fullsize Dodge Ram 2500 and they're great. My buddy has them on his F150 and likes them as well. Good tire for the money. I hope they stay cheap! Considering all the good reviews it won't be long before they're as expensive as the BFG ATs... which I had and the AT10s are equal or better in my opinion.

saburai

Explorer
More like two years!

Thanks for the replies folks:victory:

I got five for the XJ and we have put about 20,000 miles on them:smiley_drive:.
Great tire to say the least! We have used them in all conditions - even a bit of (very) mild rock crawling too:Wow1:
They are especially good on a wet road - important to us as we are doing allot of highway miles...

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Why not just run the tried and true BFG AT KO's???? I have ZERO exp.with the Hakooks so I have NOTHING bad to say about them, but frankly I feel that the BFG AT has alot going for it over nearly every other AT out there. Side-wall ply count, good factory siping (the Han's looks to have good siping too though) and a tread patern that's just a BIT more agressive for when you need it. Obviously this is my opinion and your money so...

Another tire that I'm thin king of going to after my BFG/'s give up the ghost is the Maxxis Bighorn's... More of a mud tire, but they ride amazingly and frankly they've really impressed me for what they are here in the wet NW. Amazing on-road wet traction and in the SNOW they're as good as my BFG's that's for sure (the BFG AT's are a revelation in the snow IMO. they just flat out make most other tires seem like racing slicks. NO JOKE).

The Hankook MT's are another tire that's really peaked my interest too.

Explorer
I run the hankooks on my business fleet and must say they are excellent. Awesome tire for wear and traction. I do prefer the BFG for my expo truck because it has a much thicker sidewall and I put mostly aired down miles on that truck.

If I wasn't airing down all the time I would prefer the traction ability of the Hankooks, they really grip in the cold.

Zatara

Adventurer
GREAT TIRE !!
After using BFG ATs, and having a HORRIBLE experience with the goodyear wrangler silent armors I bought the Hankooks.
Discount tire made things right concerning the goodyears and the Hankooks have performed better than any other AT tire I have ever had.

Arvin G

Observer
I run the hankooks on my business fleet and must say they are excellent. Awesome tire for wear and traction. I do prefer the BFG for my expo truck because it has a much thicker sidewall and I put mostly aired down miles on that truck.

If I wasn't airing down all the time I would prefer the traction ability of the Hankooks, they really grip in the cold.

I'm right there with you. The BFG seem to be more thicker in the sidewall compared to the hankooks. The hankooks almost seem to be the same thickness as a passenger tire judging by the ones I picked up. Didn't seem like it would resist well to possible cuts and chunking on the sidewall once aired down. I put them on my brothers tacoma since he pretty much is a pavement pounder.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Why not just run the tried and true BFG AT KO's???? I have ZERO exp.with the Hakooks so I have NOTHING bad to say about them, but frankly I feel that the BFG AT has alot going for it over nearly every other AT out there.
I've run the AT KOs at well as Hankooks and was more impressed with the Hankooks. Nothing wrong with the BFGs, to be sure. But I think the Hankooks ride a little better, handle a little better and are a little quieter. But the biggest difference, to my mind, is that the tread pattern on the Hankooks is a good bit more aggressive, a bit headed toward a mud terrain. Not that they are great in mud, but they're maybe better than the BFGs.

Just one user's opinion, though, and while I haven't had sidewall problems aired down, others have probably done better tests.

winkosmosis

Explorer
It looks less aggressive to me, and less void

163_0710_14z+hankook_test_drive+jeep_wrangler.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94