Hankook ATM RF10

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I just bought the Hankook ATM and so far with only 300 miles on them I feel some differences vs the BFG,

Much more quiet then the BFG.

I lot more smoother!

Great on rain.

Let's see how I feel about them in 2000 miles since I am projecting in getting new tires for my Lexus and I am looking at an Allterrain at this time!

TRACTION

Adventurer
I've run both the BFG ATs and the Hankook ATs on my rig. The Hankook ATs have performed equally well if not better than the BFGs. The definitely have lasted longer, no question. I've actually got 60K on my set now, can't hardly believe it, and I'm likely to get 20K more.

This set of tires has been in all kinds of conditions and thousands of miles offroad and overall I'm REALLY happy with them. Quite a few of my hunting buddies with a range of vehicles have converted to them as a result and are happy as well.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I saw a set of these end their life when two of them (on the rear) totally split the side walls on a off-road trip. This came near stranding the vehicle but we were able to salvage a spare off of another Ranger to get it to a shop for new tires. I don't know what all these tires experienced during their lifetime but were said to have always been aired properly. They had been aired down while off-road. They were not worn out but were getting on the low side of thread depth.

It was the only vehicle out of eight that had tire problems on this trip.

I was on the same trip as Gary and I can confirm this.

If you go back to the first page of this thread, you'll see that one of the posters singing the praises of the Dynapro was MJMcdowell - well, that's Michael and he is the one who had the two catastrophic failures within a 4 day period on our trip, so I'm guessing he probably wouldn't be as enthusiastic about them now as he was then. ;)

The troubling part was not that the tires failed, tires fail all the time. It's that in both cases, we were driving on mild dirt roads (not even particularly rocky ones) at moderate speeds and without warning, the tire completely came apart at the sidewall. In both cases the sidewall was completely destroyed by the time Michael brought his truck to a halt.

I had Dynapros on my '99 4runner for our Moab trip and they did just fine. They also did great in the snow in Colorado.

But my observation after our Nevada trip is that they have an extremely vulnerable sidewall, so if you do a lot of desert running, this is something to consider. I had been thinking of going to Dynapros for my current 4runner, but after our experiences in Nevada, I will stick to the tried-and-true BFG AT or MT.

Yes, they're pricey when compared to the Hankooks, but ask Michael what it cost him to lose two tires on a desert trip, not only in terms of money but in terms of time and hassle.

Sometimes going "cheap" now just means you'll be paying later. ;)

Rebelord

Semper Fi
Martinjmpr: I agree. The sidewalls do leave something to be desired. I run standard load on my Pathfinder for daily driver duties around the city and for work. While great for what I need them to do. The sidewalls on my tires are fairly soft. Example, I can rock the truck slightly with just the tires flexing. Allowing the rocking, while the suspension stays solid.

So, I can see how if they are aired down some then run on a dirt road or some wash board the sidewalls will heat up and let go. For daily driver use, no problems. If your going to take em to the dirt. I would be mindful of your tire pressure and the conditions they will be run in. Keep them in check. Some may have better results than others.
(BTW, my standard load ones are dependent on tire pressure for rated load capacities.)

Rebelord

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I just did a trip were we had plenty of miles on deep sand and I was very impressed with the tire performance or was it the 4runner traction controls? I did air down to 18psi and drove up to 40mph on deep sand and had zero issues!

On pavement they are super smooth, very quite and the best part of all as an added bonus, I got better gas milage, average maybe a mile more per gallon over the BFG's!

kayadog

Adventurer
I have a set of SL 235/75r16 ATM's on my Liberty and like them. More than adequate for the light off road driving I do on sand and unimproved roads. They are quiet, smooth, and great in the snow and on wet roads. Wearing well after 10k miles. With coupons from Discount Tire Direct they were cheap too. I also have a similar size Cooper AT3 on my Grand Cherokee and the tires are very, very similar. The ATM's look slightly more aggressive from the side due to the sidewall design if that matters to you.

Compared to General Grabber AT2 and BFG All Terrain KO the Hankooks (and Coopers) are more comfortable and quieter and seem to be just as good off road. All are good in the snow.

AutoXSS

Adventurer
Bringing this one back from the dead.....

Is it a better idea not to air down if you go with the passenger flavor, instead of E load?

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I would be a bit leery of using p rated tires in that situation. If you can, get an Lt version. I ran the atm for a summer and they were a great tire. Traded my truck with them on it..

rambrush

Adventurer
I am running the Hankook At's in a 265-75-16 but the lt's only came in a E rating 10ply talk about a stiff tire for a Toyota Tundra, currently running them at 30psi with no obvious signs they are down that low.
Yes stay away from the P rating as the sidewalls may give you fits off road.

I've had two sets of Hankook Dynapro ATM on my '01 Nissan Xterra. I ran a set of LT265/75R16, and now LT285/75R16. Good tread life, excellent inclement weather traction, and deep siping so the traction seems to maintain even when pretty worn down. I like them.

I run around 30psi on the street, and air down more than most (as soon as I hit dirt) running 12 to 13psi all the time. The Hankooks have been excellent tires, IMO equal to or better than the BFG AT KO (which I've had in the past) in most traction situations, although a case could be made that the BFG has tougher sidewalls. That said, I've never had a sidewall problem with the Hankooks despite what I would estimate as thousands of off road miles in Colorado and Utah. I have ripped out a sidewall on a BFG AT KO one time on a sharp rock up on Imogene Pass here in Colorado.

I personally think airing down helps prevent sidewall problems. My theory is that despite the bulge "exposing" the sidewall to rocks, the flexiblity and when aired down allows the sidewall to give rather than force a puncture through.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I am very happy with my Hankook ATM's on my 4runner that I am tempting to put them on my Lexus, they are very smooth and great traction offroad, however I still have in mind the Cooper ST Maxx

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I found them good on the trail. On the highway ther were really good too. I got them on warranty return for my 2 pairs of hankooks that both had serious cracking around the tread blocks. I said enough of those, give the ATM to me. They rode very well on my super crew F150 and were very quiet. I never had any issue with grip either. All in all a great tire for an all around rig.

LexusAllTerrain

Expedition Leader
I found them good on the trail. On the highway ther were really good too. I got them on warranty return for my 2 pairs of hankooks that both had serious cracking around the tread blocks. I said enough of those, give the ATM to me. They rode very well on my super crew F150 and were very quiet. I never had any issue with grip either. All in all a great tire for an all around rig.

Nice to know, now I am torn between the ATM and the ST MaXXXXXXXX.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior