Apparently legitimate new Defender information

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Ditto on the drool!

I doubt we will ever see it for two reasons. First being the air bag and crash testing, second being that Ford would likely view it as competition to thier trucks. Same reason GM refused to allow Saab to build an all wheel drive wagon even though they had a decent system that has been used in their rally cars since the mid 1980s.

ZooJunkie

Explorer
Ultimately SAAB created the 92-X a marriage of Subaru WRX wagen and SAAB styling...

As for the LR....:chowtime:

I would love to own one!! Too bad it will never be imported to the USA. :(

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Well, the cool thing I think about the redesign is that for Defender owners, the new hood design will most likely allow us to fit larger diesels like the powerstroke 3.0. Right now, their is no way that engine will fit in a Defender. And with the 2.8 pwerstroke being discontinued in a few years, this will extend the options we have to keep our trucks running.

Scott Brady

Founder
Nice! Stephanie was just saying last night that she would love to have a D90 (Red with Black Top) someday... We might get the chance.

2007Defender9.jpg

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
mcvickoffroad said:
:drool: :drool:
Nice find!
I wonder if they will ever make it to the US?

I just got this email yesterday, from Michael Green of West Coast British ...

Vehicle Review: Land Rover Defender
Back in North America in 2007!

It appears the rumors are true: The legendary Land Rover Defender will be re-introduced to the North American market in 2007 (as a 2008 model).
How different will it be? For starters, it will have the requisite air bags - a major cause for it being pulled back in 1997. It will have to be easier to assemble - the previous style was largely built by hand. And it will have a newer, more modern body design on a steel frame.
More good news: Short-wheelbase, long-wheelbase, and soft-top versions are in the works, although it is still unclear how many of these versions might be bound for North America .

The downside? No V-8's are projected. Gasoline engines will come from Ford: a direct-injection four with variable timing, a 3.0-liter Duratec V-6, and for the U.S. only, a 3.8-liter V-6. Peugeot will supply a 2.7-liter turbodiesel V-6 for Europe (though the in-the-know Rover enthusiast crowd here in the States has already started the grumbling about no TDi diesel - so perhaps their jawwing will not fall on deaf ears.
Land Rover's managing director, Matthew Taylor said, "The Defender is important. It is one of the few genuine auto icons. Our challenge now is to see how we can successfully take it forward and make it a 21st Century icon"

As far as being easier to assemble, Land Rover is moving to simplify it platforms from four to two. (60 percent of the new Discovery, for instance, is constructed by automation and it's rumored that Ford wants the same level of assembly automation in use for the new Defender.) As such, Automotive News reports that the next Defender will use Land Rover's new T5 platform architecture, the same body-on-chassis platform used for the new Discovery 3 / LR3 and upcoming Range Stormer or Range Rover Sport (the newest mini-Range Rover slated for upcoming release.)
Land Rover sells about 27,000 Defenders a year to the rest of the world. It's high time it set its sights on North America again, where the mighty Defender's legendary off-road prowess will be put to good use.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Wow this is great and exciting news! If it is in fact true and not just rumor.
I would love to see Defenders back in the US

I do have one concern however:

BajaTaco said:
It's high time it set its sights on North America again, where the mighty Defender's legendary off-road prowess will be put to good use.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

In other areas of the world the Land Rover is seen and sold as a work horse with reasonable pricing, D90 for $20K new. In the US they have marketed themselves into the luxury auto market to some extent. The used D90s have been selling for 30K+, and if you see one in a dealer it is usually $40K+ for a used 10+ year old vehicle. So my concern is that they will be using this "legendary...prowess" in thier marketing and their pricing and could very well price it far out of reach of most people who would actually use it as designed to be used. It would also be a shame if they do not offer a diesel!

Very very exciting however it turns out!
Even if the new Defender is overpriced, perhaps it will drive the cost of used Defenders down.:sombrero:

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
That would be just too cool. I certainly hope they offer a U.S. diesel if it all comes to pass. And a 110. And a 110 pickup. And . . . After all, this is a "new" Defender, so there should be no trouble about the "exclusive" 1000 110s imported in 1993.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I asked my undisclosed Land Rover informant contact who works at an undisclosable official Land Rover facility, and here is the response I recieved to my request for confimation on the 2008 Defender:

"Sometime around 2010. It will be the D-90 and perhaps the D-110. Doubtful we’ll get the D-130. We’ll get a petrol motor first then MAYBE a diesel."

Ok, I hope we get them sooner but either way it will take me at least 3 years to save my pennies anyway!;)

Wanderlusty

Explorer
This would be about the only thing that would steer me away from the new JK Wrangler. Though I fear that as mcvick said, due to the perception of a luxo-vehicle, they will probably be at inflated prices that are inflated just for the sake of it.

Good thing I have a couple years to sit back and ponder it some and wait to see what happens.

If these things hit the shores much higher than mid 30's...then I am out. Here's hoping they price them reasonable.

+ d

Adventurer
:iagree:

Yup, the pessimist in me says they'll bring them in and pimp them out so only rap stars and frat boy developers can afford them...think G500/G55.

Seeing all these Gelaendewagens with dubs makes me sad :)( )
Seeing a D90/110 with dubs might make me homicidal :)ar15: )

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles