Adding an outside thermometer

mightymike

Adventurer
My Tacoma does not have an outside thermometer and I know that the stock compass/thermometer mirror is pretty pricey.

Has anyone added any other type of thermometer? Would a temp gauge in a A-pillar mount work? Where to mount the sender?

Overland Hadley

on a journey
A simple indoor/outdoor thermometer with a remote sensor would work. Trick would be to find one that has a good display that you would want to mount inside your truck.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I had one of the cheapies on my old 4Runner. Worked fine, but now I would like a nicer-looking model, as well.

As for where to put the sensor, I would suggest putting somewhere like in the door hinge cavity. That way it is outside, but protected.

I had mine in the hinge cavity, and it was apparently affected by engine heat. It always read several degrees warmer then ambient.

On our Toyota, with a factory inside/outside thermometer, it's mounted right behind the front bumper. That way it's only affected by the engine heat if you're idling for an extended period.

YodasYota

Observer
I have a 93 Toyota pickup, but I'm looking to upgrade to a 4runner since mine isnt 4wd and that would be a cool mod for my new 4runner assuming I get one...

J_wings24

Observer
I recently did this mod & LOVE it. Check out ExpeditionWest's writeup:
http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/gauges.html

IT was an easy install & the gauges work great. I ended up mounting the sender up alongside the bed above the frame. If you put it anywhere near the engine you'll get heat runoff & it'll say it's 90 degrees when you know it's in the 30's!
Once i moved it back to bed it is within 5-7 degrees.

I can post up some pictures if you'd like.

Good luck,
joel

Whitey

Adventurer
Originally from a subaru forester
006.jpg

CompassGaugePack1.jpg

mightymike

Adventurer
Whitey, that is too cool. Care to share any more info-What year Forester, cost, difficulty....Did it fit right in the DIN slot?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles