Full size truck questions

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Hi im fairly new to the site.
I want to build up my F250 cc to do a little exploring.
My plan is to build up the truck while testing it out on local weekend camping trips for the next 2 years until my youngest turns 2. By then I plan to drive out west and visit places that I keep reading about on this site.

My question is how far can you push these big trucks? By that I mean, I know that the truck is not as nimble as a jeep so it wont go where a small jeep can go. At the same time I would not be able to carry 3 kids and my wife with all their gear comfortably in a jeep either. So there is the dilema.
I already own a full size and love the truck. By building a fulsize ould it hinder the places that I can go because of its size.

I plan to lift the truck 4.5 inches and run 35 inch tires. I realy dont wan to tear the truck up either since it is a new truck. If It was just me I would build up a toyota tacoma and be done with it (proven recipe). Unfortanetly that would not work for me.

So What cons do you guys that drive full size trucks face? Comments, suggestions, positive or negative feedback, advise is more than welcome.

Thanks
DEL

By the way here is a pic of my truck.

warrpath4x4

Adventurer
just kinda depends on what terrain you will be covering. trails in my neck of the woods you will get body damage or atleast PNW pin stripes. but atleast you will be ale to carry the gear for everyone.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
The super duty is a great platform to build on, to your needs. Plenty of aftermarket support & options out there. As far as suspension, I would recommend ICON. (former Donahoe Racing) They have top notch components.

Nice truck, I look forward to the build!

inked33

Adventurer
alot of things will depend on what type of terrain and how extreme of trails your planning on running. the ford is a good platform for a fullsize truck, there is alot of aftermarket support and you have a sfa.

your biggest problems will be the width and break over angle. first thing i would do is get skid plates and some good body protection (rock sliders at the very least). you might also want to consider going with a little bigger tire then the 35's to help with break over angle. look into some cut out fender flares along with the lift to help you stuff some bigger tires.

you can take a fullsize truck just about everywhere you can take a jeep just have to deal with more chance of body damage. i think the biggest thing is to enjoy building your truck and the places your truck will take you and your family. hope this helps.....

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
For quite a few years now I've explored all over the south west U.S. in various full size trucks. I usually go with a buddy of mine who has a well built jeep. In all the years of off roading we've only found one spot where I just couldn't fit the truck. There have been a couple places I didn't go to save the paint and I've also added a few brush scrapes following him. Most of my trucks were built similar to what you're going to do. My point here is you will probably stop well before your truck stops! I don't know where you're at so I can't comment on your local off roading but for the most part you'll do just fine on most trails. Tire selection is the most important thing you can do on your build. Choose wisely and you'll love them!

p.s. Just don't let your crazy jeep buddy's tell "have I gotta trail for you" or you'll regret it! Them jeep guys are a bit crazy you know! lol! Kidding!

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Im def going with DR for suspension. I was thinking of just going with their 2.5system but I figure the 4.5 system will give me the best of both worlds. Not to high and enough clearance for the 35 inch tires.

I prefer to keep my setup alot more simpistic but have to contend with the biggest obstacle of all. THE WIFE. I have had more survival training that I want and am used to roughing it. Here on the other hand is another story. The kids are easy to please as long as you find ways to keep them intertained. Nothing a flip down dvd cant fix while on the road.

thanks for the links definitly helps when people with experience can can post up there set ups and they explain why they went the route they did when building up there rig and buying equipment.

I know before anything I should develop a plan that way I know what needs to get done.

Kind of hard to plan for places you know nothing about though. I know I will eventually move out west (probably Colorado) in the near future just to be near all the open land out west. Until then I can only go off of peoples experience in trying to build the perfect rig for my needs.

sorry for the long post.
DEL

Kilroy

Adventurer
If you can get 35" tires without going up 4.5", there are many benefits. Least of which is it will be easier for wife and kids to get in truck. I'm planning on as short a lift as I can on my Dodge to go to 35". What gear ratio are you starting out with? Putting on the larger tires will be like changing your rear end gears and you could end up over (under?) geared.

Im def going with DR for suspension. I was thinking of just going with their 2.5system but I figure the 4.5 system will give me the best of both worlds. Not to high and enough clearance for the 35 inch tires.

I prefer to keep my setup alot more simpistic but have to contend with the biggest obstacle of all. THE WIFE. I have had more survival training that I want and am used to roughing it. Here on the other hand is another story. The kids are easy to please as long as you find ways to keep them intertained. Nothing a flip down dvd cant fix while on the road.

thanks for the links definitly helps when people with experience can can post up there set ups and they explain why they went the route they did when building up there rig and buying equipment.

I know before anything I should develop a plan that way I know what needs to get done.

Kind of hard to plan for places you know nothing about though. I know I will eventually move out west (probably Colorado) in the near future just to be near all the open land out west. Until then I can only go off of peoples experience in trying to build the perfect rig for my needs.

sorry for the long post.
DEL

SFROMAN

Adventurer
My tire size is 275/65/20 which roughly equals out to a 34.5x10.5x20.
I want to get rid of the 20 stock rims for sure.
The lowest size rim I can clear on the truck is 17 so that is what I am going with.

I can clear the 35x12.5x17 Toyo MT with a DR 2.5 lift system (new coils).

I was going to buy this system but just figured on going 2 inches more to be on the safe side (clearance wise).

The wife believe it or not does not mind lifted trucks. I previously had an f150 with a 8 inch lift on it.

As far as gears is concerened I will stay with stock gears for a while until I can save up for 4.56 gears and ARB lockers front and rear.

I am not worried about being under geared with the 35s since I have a diesel and I am only going half inch higher than stock tire diameter.

DEL

haven

Expedition Leader
The built F250 will go lots of places, but won't get through the tight spots like a Jeep will. An alternative would be to put some sort of camper for the family on the truck when you're on vacation, and tow a jeep or 4 seat buggy for the rough stuff. The money you'd spend preparing the F250 for trail use could easily buy a used Jeep with a mild build.

The unmodified pickup will be much easier to live with as a daily driver than a built F250 (unless you enjoy showing off at the local drive in!). And you won't need to repair damage to your F250 that will inevitably happen on the trail.

Chip Haven

bat

Explorer
027.JPG

Captured 2005-4-26 00004 (Small).JPG

It makes it interesting and fun to drive and I have no problem carrying anything or towing the jeep

Last edited:

SFROMAN

Adventurer
Eventually once my kids outgrow car seats I might build up a jeep or something for more extreme trails. Honestly, another vehicle is not really a possibility right now. I have my truck my wifes H3 and a 65 mustang. Dont really have room for a expedition only vehicle right now.

The f250 is my daily driver to and from work. That is another reason why I want the truck build to be as mild as possible. On long weekends or vacation I can load up the truck and bsicly go on an adventure with the family. Then, I can simply unload it and be ready for work on monday. That is the intention or the plan at least.

This is what I have envisioned for the truck so far

Mild lift
35 mud terrain tires
ARB locker front and rear
4.56 gears
some sort of front protection (maybe ARB Bumper)
some sort of rack to maximize cargo storage
auxilary lighting front and rear
commo
air management (maybe tank or simple 12V air compressor)

as you can see I havent done my homework on alot of the mods I plan to do.

DEL

SFROMAN

Adventurer
BAT,
Wow its like you read my mind!

Please post up more pics of your rig.

what is the mod list on that truck?
I am still debating the camper but other than that your truck is pretty much exactly what I want my truck to look like.

Thanks for posting

DEL

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I think you're on the right track with a 2-4.5" lift and 35's, gears and (atleast one) locker. That truck will get you just about anywhere you want to go. There are some places you won't fit, sure, but you will be able to easily explore all over the western half. You might miss a few trails in the Pacific Northwest, but there are normally ways around.
I always had smaller rigs (rangers and explorers) when I lived in Oregon, with mild lifts and 33's, lockers, and never found places I couldn't get to. I plan to get back there in a year or two and I know of a few places my F150 won't fit, but it will go most of the places I could want it to.
Are you planning on a four wheel camper of some sort, or tent camping with a canopy or something? Re-gearing is always nice, but not likely needed with the diesel. Make sure you plan for ANOTHER transmission cooler and/or a deeper transmission pan with cooling fins. I've been out in the Nevada desert with friends in F350's when their transmissions overheated and overflowed hours from anywhere. Not a fun time.

BigJimCruising

Adventurer
Del you're on the right track but the most important thing you should be doing before shelling out big bucks is to get yourself off roading and find out what you really need.

Tires should be your first upgrade, if you need a lift to fit them then only do as much lift as you need. Skip the shy high lifts they just aren't much use for most off roading and can do more harm then good.

Skip the lockers for now. I've been off roading for decades in some amazing remote trails and yet I've never had more then a limited slip. Nice to add someday but again wait and see if you'll really need them.

Front bumper, unless it's coming with a winch in it skip this for now. Use the money you've saved to do more off roading! Most of them just look cool and hold some lights so unless you have a bad habit of running into things they're mostly just for show.

Lighting is a must. No matter how hard I try I often wind up on a trail at night and the lights are a major help. I don't spend big bucks on them however since the cheaper ones will do just fine for short range trail work. Rear lights are almost as important as front lights, for those times when the GPS says left and the trail says "no way".

Don't have any idea what a commo is.

Air compressor. YES! Spend well on this system, it will make your off roading so much better! Get the best you can, apply some of that front bumper money to the air compressor, it's worth every penny!

Hold off on the gear change for now. Unless you're going to tow something you might find that you just don't need a gear change. Try it out first before you toss that money away.

That's my thoughts on your plans. I've only got about 40 years off roading experience in big trucks so others might know more. But what I'm saying here with all this is to save money on toys and spend it really doing off roading! You'll learn what you need after you've been doing it for a while. Heck if anything spend some of that extra cash you will have on some creature comforts for the family, that will keep them happy and wanting to go camping with you even more. Happy wheeling! Jim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles