Odyssey jeep trailer

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Hello all.New here and after watching this forum for a couple of years i decided that it was time for me to join.
I think i have some time now ,and i'm gonna start building my trailer.:wings:
I need it to carry firewoods etc and since my DD tj jeep has no room for this something has to be done.
So here's the idea.One trailer frame and two different tubs(i know it's not new).The utility tub is going to be able to tilt(using some kind of jack).Iron tube cage with plywood(mayde fiber reinforced)for bottom and sides.
The second one is going to be a CAMPER:victory:(pop up,slide out) so me and family can go weekends on some distanced not crowded beaches in the summer.:snorkel:(same material.I 'm concidering alu cage as an alternative because of the weight.
Ohhhh...Your feedback(positive or negative is really important to me
I'll keep you posted and sent pics...

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Welcome to the forum; very nice project there.

Have you started any sketches or found any plans/concepts that you favor yet?

And show us pictures of those Greek beaches... ...it's cold here... :sombrero:

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Hello Bill.Oh yeah it;s cold here too.:REOutCampFire03:That's why i'm making plans for the looooooong summer.:suning:
I have a huuuuuuuuuuge selection of pics and ideas i'm gonna use from this and other forums and i'm sure that some of you guys will recignise treir ideas.
Thanks to all of you

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Suggest building the basic trailer as a flat bed, then build each module to slide on and off. Since you want/need a tilting bed I'd suggest that feature be part of the basic trailer rather than one of the modules.

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
All right so here are some rough plans to begin withIMG]http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr236/exm38a1er/plans.jpg[/IMG][/IMG]
Hope to get some metal this weekend

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
plans

plans-1.jpg

Last edited:

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Started gathering parts.My dad(have i mentioned it's a father 64yrs and a son 37yrs project? )got for free this
P1060028.jpg
[/IMG] .Hitch with a safe, hand brakes,pressure brakes,jockey wheel and everything.
Looks like the brake lever is broken but i can make another one.Using an axle(probably from a renault clio with drum brakes) it should be usefull.
I'm also gonna use some rect tube out of a pile of old training equipments i made in the past.I think in inches is 4x2 and work fine for my frame.
Time to cut some steel:wings:

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Well the time came and the steel has been cut.
P1060030.jpg
[/IMG]I'll have to replace the two diagonal pieces that extend the tongue to the 2nd cross member with some thicker galvanized rect tube.
By the way does anybody know what is the prep procedure in order to paint galv steel?

sseaman

Adventurer
I am interested to see how this comes together, on painting Galvanized, just make sure it is clean, wipe down with paint thinner or mineral spirits, and it shouldn't be a problem. I put bed liner right over it and didn't have problems with it peeling off, and have also spray painted on it.

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Thanks a lot Scott.You're gonna see these corners in a couple of days max.
I've read somewhere that you have to wipe the metal with chloride but i'm not sure if it was meant for galv.
I'll trust your experience:victory:

ex m38a1er

Adventurer
Niiiiiceee!!!!
I like the contrast that make the diamont fender to the black color.
Oh and tidy garage you have there.Is the Toyota your tow rig?:smiley_drive:

sseaman

Adventurer
Thanks, i like how the shiny aluminum contrasts with the black, I thought about painting it all black. I try to keep the garage cleaned up so both vehicles can fit. I usually tow the trailer with the 4runner, as my wife is reluctant to let me mess with her Sequoia much. The Sequoia is a future project.

I'm still trying to decide what to do for a top, probably some wooden bows and canvas, but its hard to beat a $4 tarp.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles