Mercedes diesel conversion

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I somewhat looked into it for my 80 series, but never really went anywhere with it....

I love the Merc diesel though!

-H-

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Luke has done one conversion as far as I know. He put it in his FJ40.I was down in Grass Valley before Christmas and I stopped by and had a look at it. Luke was very happy with the installation, but needed to switch out his gearbox.

He is still prototyping the product and is not in production as far as I know.

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
There is some discussion here on Expo and also on IH8mud in the diesel section. Sorry I don't have the link handy, just search for OM617.

If I had a an FJ60 and enough $$$ I would seriously consider this conversion based on the reputation of this engine.

cumminscruiser

Adventurer
Mercedes Diesel Conversion

I'm on the fence, I have a '93 Vortec V6 for my FJ40 not in it yet but a Mercedes diesel sounds really good. I bought my 40 as just a shell no engine transmission etc. I have all FJ60 running gear for it and a FJ60 4speed and transfercase. Easy wiring and no computer sounds even better.

bahndo

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
I think for the 40 it would be a great engine that would deliver reasonable mileage with adequate power. I have looked at this motor as well for various projects but in the end I feel it doesn't have the power to push a wagon around, I believe the output is around 125 HP and only 170 lb-ft of torque. I was looking at sticking it in a 60 or an 80 and well 100 less lb-ft of torque......no thanks.
-Bahndo

Last edited by a moderator:

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Any idea whic is the best year for the 5 cylinder engine?

In my search for an engine I have always been told the 1985.

I suggest you purchase a complete vehicle so you have all the parts required.

Here is what I have discovered.

Engine from yard where you do removal $200.00

Long engine rebuild $4500.00

Complete vehicle $1000.00 +

You need a complete engine including the engine mounts.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
From Luke today:

Benz folks,
After a few iterations of our GM adapter plate we have a good solid prototype that is ready for production. I will be taking the shop rig on a week long shakedown run on the Rubicon the 15th of this month. I will send an update when I get back.

As I mentioned our first run will be 25 units and we will be accepting deposits for this run right away. I need to place an order for the flywheels in a minimum run of 25 units. I would like to place that order this week. Some of you mentioned you would like to be first run customers so please arrange your deposits by this Friday June 12th to avoid any further delays.

The introductory price for this kit is $950. I am requesting deposits of $500 to get the first run paid for and on the way. If you pre-pay the kit in full I will give 10% off for this run only. you can call with shipping and payment info or paypal luke@4x4labs.com.

If you have any further questions, as always, feel free to email me directly or to this list, or call at the number below.

thank you all for your patience. I feel this kit will be an intelligent and feasible choice for many applications. We are already working on the next application for this product line, the Land Cruiser 6 cylinder bell housing adapter plate.

-luke @4x4labs

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
there is a great video somewhere. Except I can't find it, not in my inbox and not on youtube...

EDIT, I found it and just put it on youtube... You can tell the Benz engine is cold here as it is a little louder than normal. It is a very nice quiet good sounding diesel normally... It might also be related to the temporary (lack of) exhaust as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-rYFWD_yfs

RHINO

Expedition Leader
it has been soooooo long in the making,,,, i was very interested 5 yrs ago but just got tired of waiting for info. not raggin on the guy, just sayin.
its great that it may finally be moving forward, and a great FJ40 swap, not sure about a wagon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online