Signs to upgrade TCase

Loober

Adventurer
I see some are running either dual transfer cases or upgraded ones with even lower gears.

I run a 4wd tacoma with stock components as far as drivetrain goes and when i go wheelin and encounter obstacles i cannot conquer(have not been many) its usually not because of drivetrain issues.

I am curious what benefits you get from dual cases that good suspension or lockers with low geared diffs cannot provide?

One benefit that i can guess would be in my case, b/c i have a manual, having super low gears could virtually eliminate the need to use the clutch during slow climbs

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Dual cases will provide a substantially lower range than you can ever acheive with diff gearing alone. Suspension, lockers, tires are all periphrial, gearing is just that.

Say for example you have a 40:1 final crawl ration (trans 1st x TC low x axle ratio). Add a doubler into the situation and you can double, triple, even quadruple or more (4.7) that ratio using various aftermarket low range gears.

Alternitively you could just put a single set of low range gears into your existing case (not an option for the Tacoma however). This is a very viable option of for the pre-Tacoma generation trucks & 4Runners.

Rexsname

Explorer
I have the Marlin Crawler dual transfer cases in my 2001 Tacoma. It makes it so much easier to drive gently. I rarely put it in "double crazy stupid low" but it is nice to have it as an option. I have the option of: High range......one to one. Low range 2.28 to one. Very low range 4.7 to one. And "double crazy stupid low range" 10.72 to one.

There are times that low range is just not quite the 'right' one, but in very low I can go up thru the gears in the trans and use that versitility. This was NOT a cheap modification even tho I won a couple of the componants at a raffle.

I know that I have to be very careful of the Tacomas front end and pay close attention to not get it in a bind. My Brother-in-law has a very similar set up with a ARB front locker and it broke the inner CV joint very easily. I dont know how much torque the 3.4 makes at 1500rpm but multiply that by 160 and you get a BUNCH of torque going thru a joint that is not made to take that much.

I like it alot but I realize I need to learn how to change a front axel.

REX

bmh

Adventurer
I agree with the above post. Dual cases is at the top of my list this summer. I run an auto trans, so the cost is higher, but the option of 3 ranges of low gear will really help me to keep the vehicle in control.

BMThiker

SE Expedition Society
I am curious what benefits you get from dual cases that good suspension or lockers with low geared diffs cannot provide?

One benefit that i can guess would be in my case, b/c i have a manual, having super low gears could virtually eliminate the need to use the clutch during slow climbs

You nailed it in your last sentence. It's all about control. You are getting the benefit of high RPMs (torque) without spinning your wheels any faster than needed.

But be prepared to break a CV or two, if you are not careful. And if you break a CV, then your are likely going to bend tie rods too. Thats a few more spares you will need to pack in your gear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles