Budget expedition

CLynn85

Explorer
Yep, as everyone said so far get a good reputable mechanic to go over it with a fine tooth comb. As for wanting to upgrade the wheels, I'd look for a set of latemodel wheels with decent tires to bolt up if you must, or otherwise lose the hub caps and paint the steelies black. If the rear diff is open, a posi would be very high on my list. Add recovery gear, a shell, and a smart sleeping setup and you should be good to go. You'd be amazed where you can take a 2wd with a limited slip rear, some skill, and a lot of common sense. Oh, and lose the running boards... lol.

jmeadows

CLynn85 said:
Yep, as everyone said so far get a good reputable mechanic to go over it with a fine tooth comb..... Oh, and lose the running boards... lol.

Ive had somone recently look at it, damn good condition only 130,000k need a new u-joint though, and the running boards have just been removed, I didnt like em much either

1976K5Chalet

Observer
Since i am here in calgary...and happen to have way to much 73-91 CKRV knowledge i'll tell ya what i can do.... full on inspection of said truck and list of items to be repaired to get her to 100% as you have time and money allows. Staying at the travelodge across from the ranchman restaraunt. Can't miss my truck....just look at my avatar and think 70's gm burnt orange and cream....with a colorado plate...

Waiting on a phone call to clear calgary for the next gamma well in hinton so i'll be out of the loop for a bit....970-250-3800 is my cell and my email is k5nutt@hotmail.com.

DW

jmeadows

1976K5Chalet said:
Since i am here in calgary...and happen to have way to much 73-91 CKRV knowledge i'll tell ya what i can do.... full on inspection of said truck and list of items to be repaired to get her to 100% as you have time and money allows. Staying at the travelodge across from the ranchman restaraunt. Can't miss my truck....just look at my avatar and think 70's gm burnt orange and cream....with a colorado plate...

DW

DONE!
Ill give you a ring here within the day

1976K5Chalet

Observer
I'm in room 632....got about two weeks worth of reciepts to catch up on and work into an xls sheet....but otherwise i'll be around as i have not recieved word yet that its time to high tail it to hinton yet....

DW

jmeadows

I will let you know asap, Ive come across some snags in my scheduel over the past few days. So if I dont get a chance to drop by, dont hold your breath. But I definitly do appreciate the offer.

-Jordan

1976K5Chalet

Observer
Heading out to a job somewhere north of edmonton in the am...not sure how long this one will be but usually they are 5-6 days long.....

DW

jmeadows

1976K5Chalet said:
Heading out to a job somewhere north of edmonton in the am...not sure how long this one will be but usually they are 5-6 days long.....

DW

ill be driving out of town tonight as well, just post here or msg me when ya get back

jmeadows

alright, so I finally have the money for tires, as I had indicated before im pretty sure ill be picking up bf goodrich ATS, i currently have 225 75r15 s on my truck and thus i was looking at either the 215 75r15 or the 235 s (bf goodrich does not make 225s). However I was also wondering that with the currnet set up i have would I be able to increase my wheel size to 16"S with minimal problems?

Thanks
-Jordan

Scott Brady

Founder
My uncle has a truck very similar to yours. He switched to LT 30x9.5 R15 and has been very happy with the road manners and overall fit. No rubbing.

That would be my recommendation.

THanks for keeping us updated :)

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
235 x 85x 16 (roughly a 32) is a stock size on 3/4 ton 2wd in that body style. Thats what came on my 88 burb.
A 31x10.5 should fit without a problem. You could probably squeeze a 32x11.5 on it. It will fit the rear no problem but the width might get you a little contact with the rear of the wheel opening on the front. Little time with a sawzall and it will fit. Probably take no more then an inch. 33x10.5 would probably work with about the same amount of trimming.

jmeadows

Grim Reaper said:
235 x 85x 16 (roughly a 32) is a stock size on 3/4 ton 2wd in that body style.

mines only a 1/2 ton, stock is 225 75r15 thats the one thing im sure of

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
jmeadows said:
mines only a 1/2 ton, stock is 225 75r15 thats the one thing im sure of
It will fit. Just showing that the wheel well can clear that size without a problem with no modification.

I would concider bumping up to a 3.73 or 4.10 if you get near a 33 inch tall tire.

I know of people who have put 35's on them with NO lift and fiberglass fenders.

I haven't seen much discussion on lifting the truck yet. There are lift kits avialable for the 2wd's.

Some people will put a 3/4 ton front springs in it. Honestly I would concider a custom spring. While the 3/4 would gain you about 2 inches over the 1/2 ton its a very stiff spring so it would kill articulation. The rear actaully runs the same spring as the 4x4. Whats different is the spring mounts. You could swap the spring mounts from a 4x4 and gain about 2 inches inthe rear. Honestly thats a lot of work. I would look at a 4 inch spring from say Procomp. They flex pretty good, better then stock thats for sure. It would net you the 2 inches with minimal work. Now you may find you need to lift a little more then you thought depending on the gear you plan to travel with regularly. So take that weight into concideration.

If you want to go with used parts then swap the brackets and run a mid 80's 4x4 spring. They have friction pads at the tips of leafs.

If you haven't figured it out I have reseached this a GREAT deal. I was going to build a prerunner 2wd K5 at one time. The set up I was going to go with was 33's, 4.10 in the diff with a Eaton electric or a ARB and a built 700r4 tranny. That combination will give good slow speed performance.The 700r4 has a nice deep 1st gear. With the 4.10's it would put the motor right in it's sweet spot in trail conditions. The overdrive and the 33's will still make it a good hwy cruiser and keep the RPMS inline. Should let you stroll down the hwy getting 15mpg.

I'm at work. I use to have a bunch of links to prerunner stuff that would fit your truck. I'll see if they are still in my computer at home when I get there tonight.

njtaco

Explorer
Patience...

Not to deviate from the tire discussion, but...

Patience is your friend, especially on a budget. I've been spending a lot of time seeking "free" or "almost free" upgrades lately, with some success. I've picked up a 22 ft travel trailer (free), an 8 foot pop-up (75 USD), sunbrella canvas to repair the pop-up (5 USD), two fiberglass truck caps (one free, one 60 USD), set of four stock rims and tires with 1/2 tread (50 USD)... all in the last 3 months or so.

Point is... keep your eyes open and ear to the ground, and parts will come to you. If you want a gear change and locker/LSD, shop for a truck with one and swap the whole rear, then sell the donor truck (done that, too.) I agree with the 3.73 gears, easy to source in a stock truck to swap, and a good match with 31 or 32 inch tires. My K5 had 33-12.50-15 and 3.73 with a 700R4, and got 14-15MPG reliably.

IMHO, nothing "wrong" with the rims you have, pick up/find some salvage yard tires and try them out. 31-10.50-15 tires are a dime a dozen around here, and may be worth a try.

Good luck with the build.

:campfire:

On edit... I see now you have $ for tires set aside. Would it be worth it to "try out" salvage tires for cheap first, run them for a while to see how they work for you, and then buy the new ones later? A least you would not have to tolorate a potential "mistake" for the life of the new tires. Also, Yokohama tire has a 30-day money back guarantee. Not sure of the details, but this may be an option if you can get them near home. The Geolandar A/T + 2 may be my next "new" tire.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles