Budget expedition

jmeadows

Since I'm new to this forum ill give you the low-down on me, I live in Calgary Alberta, 19 years old and love my truck to death, also trying to make it in the music business.

So here is the deal, I’m young and poor, I was given a 78 GMC sierra Grande by my grandpa as he cannot drive. I’m relatively new to the whole expedition thing, however I do spend a fair amount of time in the rockies especially during the winter. I’m planning a wheel/rim upgrade to some BFG all terrain’s and to do some light bodywork on my truck. I’m toying with the idea for some sort of camper type setup in the bed but I am not sure. I’m looking for suggestions and ideas for every aspect of this vehicle with 2 restrictions to keep in mind:
1- I’m a student so I’m not always swimming in cash
2- this is my only vehicle besides a motorbike so I will be using it for city driving for about 6 months a year.

Thanks,
Jordan

Attachments

• dsc 004.jpg
    dsc 004.jpg
    928.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

bootzilla

Adventurer
Because you aren't trying to spend a ton of money, and because this will be a daily driver for you - I'd think that starting with a cap would be more economical. That way you can stow a bunch of gear securely, and you can always use the bed with the cap as a sleeping shelter at a campsite if you don't want to use a tent. You could try to find a cap that would allow you to attach roof rails, then you could put a spare tire or other gear on top, or add a roof-top tent later on if you want to and have the money. Those with pickups may want to chime in, but that seems like it woule be more economical than a camper in the bed.

It you Sierra 4wd? Since it is essentially a Chevy, I would think you should be able to find parts for better off road capability.

asteffes

Explorer
Any reason you want to change the wheels? I would just not spend the money on wheels and put better tires on. The money you save could go toward the other gear you want/need.

I think I would just spend some time and money on making sure the truck won't leave you stranded. Make sure all the fluids are good, the brakes are good, battery is fresh... that sort of thing. Start with a good platform.

flywgn

Explorer
asteffes said:
... I would just not spend the money on wheels and put better tires on. The money you save could go toward the other gear you want/need. ...

I agree, and BTW welcome to the forum.

You can see from my sig that two of our vehicles are full-size trucks, albeit both are 4WD, and from the photo it looks as though your Sierra is 2WD.

Not to worry, we drove our '60 Ford longbed 2WD all over Baja in mid-sixties and though I stuck us a couple of times in sand (Baja) and mud (Wyoming) we had recovery gear aboard and extricated ourselves each time it happened.

You'll find that there are limitations to every vehicle, no matter how tricked out we make them.

Follow the advice from bootzilla and asteffes. Make the truck mechanically sound and then maybe add a cap to the bed. If you can afford a shell that has windows that open upwards (in addition to sliding screens) you'll enjoy the extra side access these offer. BajaTaco has this type on his 'Yota and we do also on the '04 F-250. I like being able to load and unload from the side.

You should be able to find a used one that you can modify if it's not to your specs. I would suggest, however, that the one you acquire have a strong roof so that you can carry gear on top if you want.

Have fun with your project.

Allen R

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I had a very similar truck from '94 up until last year. Mine was also a 2wd. 1980 GMC Sierra Grande C-2500 (complete with the 454, t-465 transmission and 14 bolt full floating rear axle). This truck was severly limited in what it could accomplish "off road". The biggest problem was it was a 2 wheel drive, had 1 ton springs, and an open differential. Those 3 things added together work great on relatively smooth surfaces with a load...but take it off the improved surfaces, it lost traction very easily.

I won't coat this next comment in sugar. If you plan on spending alot of time "off road", you are better off with a different vehicle. Trust me. I've been there, and done that. The key here is resisting the urge to take it down every trail you see. This truck has alot of limitations. Live within these limitations and you are in for a good ride. If you get outside of the limitations, have a winch and shovel handy. You're going to need them.

What you have is fine if you are spending your time on improved roads, but the first time you hit crossed axle terrain, you are going to have trouble. Adding a winch can get you out of trouble fairly quickly, but you certainly don't want to winch yourself down long trails....it won't be any fun. You may enjoy it the first time, maybe twice, but after that, it just plain sucks (again....I've been there).

So, assuming you are spending most of your time on improved roads, here is what I would do.

• Install a good set of tires on the stock wheels. Tall, narrow with aggressive tread.
  • Install a winch, carry the appropriate straps, tree saver, snatch block, shackles, etc., and know how to use it all.
  • Install a cap (camper shell) on the bed. Make sure it seals well (no water leaks), and can be locked (secure your gear).
  • Enjoy travelling on improved roads (innumerable places to see travelling in this fashion)
  • Take notes (yes, write it down!) on things that you want to improve in your next vehicle while travelling.
Don't let anyone tell you that you must have a 4x4 to travel the back roads and have a good time. I put over 100,000 miles on my GMC, the majority was travelling the back country (primarily on improved roads). For awhile I had a 1969 Open Road Manhatten model slide in camper (big heavy SOB) that served as base camp for many fishing, hunting, hiking, biking, and backpacking trips. I had a great time with it, you should do the same. When the time comes to replace it, you will have a good idea about what features you want on your next one. Just be selective about what trails you point it down. That truck is heavy, wide, and can be hard to recover. With a bit of self control, you can have alot of enjoyable trips in it. It would take you an entire lifetime to see everything there is to see in that truck. So take your time and enjoy it.

*BTW--when I say "improved roads", I do not mean "paved" roads. Basically any road or trail that is maintained with a grader or blade, in addition to paved roads, will be fine in a 2wd, assuming you don't find any huge mud-holes. Most roads in Baja fit here too. Alot of the 2-tracks in the plains are suitable as well. It won't take long to figure out what works and what doesn't. If it doesn't work, back out and find a route that does work, simple as that.

Last edited:

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
Jordan!
Welcome to the forum.
I'm not one of the mechanically inclined guys here...you'll get that kind of help from others.
I just wanted to say hi :wavey: and welcome...
Enjoy the place. There are so many incredibly talented folks here it will blow your mind! :yikes:
Cheers :friday:
Ed

haven

Expedition Leader
"off road" travel

Goodtimes wrote:
"[my truck] was a 2 wheel drive, had 1 ton springs, and an open
differential...take it off the improved surfaces, it lost traction very easily...
If you plan on spending alot of time "off road", you are better off with a
different vehicle."

By this criterion, 99.9% of the trucks in Mexico should not leave the pavement. Yet the 2wd pickup truck is the standard mode of transportation throughout a country filled with unpaved roads and two-track trails.

No doubt 4wd is better than 2wd (and locked 4wd better still) for situations with limited traction. But there is lots of "manageable trouble" (to use Joaquin Suave's turn of phrase) to get into with a 2wd.

Chip Haven

jmeadows

thanks for the interest and welcomes. I've pretty much decided yes on the cap so thank you for the input to stregnthen my desicion. Now as far as tires and wheels go, i completly understand what everyone is saying about not spending mony on wheels and get better tires, I guess part of my wheel descision will also be based on asthetics. Im looking at BFG all terrain my current tire sizes are 225 75r15 , not sure of the exact demensions of my wheels, which if any BFGs will fit this or another tire as well?

Thanks again,

Jordan

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
BFG All Terrains are an excellent tire for our area. They are excellent all-around performers and also do amazingly well on snow & ice. They are pricey though in comparison to some of the other brands - like the Roughrider at Canadian Tire. You might want to look at them to save some cash.

I would strongly suggest watching the for sale section of sites like http://www.4wheeler.ca and of course http://www.buysell.ca and http://www.usedcalgary.com. You can often find deals on tires and parts for trucks like yours on there.

On 4wheeler.ca there is a guy selling 4 fairly new 31x10.5x15 for $300 including rims (that's what his final low price was). I believe you should be able to fit those fairly easily, but you may want to confirm that first. Check here: http://www.4wheeler.ca/index.php?showtopic=23790 A package like that would be ideal if the fit is right...

Like everyone is saying, focus on the tires and then canopy. For a canopy, Bargain Finder (www.buysell.ca) is the best place check. I am sure you can find something for less than $200 pretty easily.

Then throw a cheap Zellers air mattress and some blankets in the back of the truck with water, food, gas, etc and start travelling. Might I suggest the Forestry Trunk Road (FTR) from Highway 1A up to Nordegg. I just came back from 2 nights exploring the FTR from about Caroline to the South Ram River and then over to Rocky Mountain House. I just love that area - great if you like to fly fish too! Free random camping is available in lots of areas, lots of little trails to explore, and some nice, basic campgrounds too. Highly recommend Peppers Lake Campground - was there last night and loved the view from the campsite.

One more thing before I go to bed... Go to the Fishin Hole by Sunridge Mall and pick up this book: http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/index-bm.php?bookId=swalb&region=AB I say the Fishin Hole because their big sale is on right now and all the books are at least 20% off. Otherwise you can get the book at Canadian Tire, MEC, Ribtor, Campers Village, etc. That map book will help you find all those great roads.

Enjoy :D

Pete

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
I actually like the steel wheels & stock hubcaps on there- looks good. What about just spray painting the stock steel wheels a nice gloss black, grey or white? That would look great imo, and only cost some elbow grease and a few $ for paint cans.

Everyone else has it covered I think. It's boring but making sure all the maintence is up is probably the most important thing you can do to start.

oh yeah, maybe cut your exhaust pipe back a bit- so if you come off a ledge you dont squash the pipe into the body or tweak it.

Last edited:

jmeadows

mountainpete said:
.... Might I suggest the Forestry Trunk Road (FTR) from Highway 1A up to Nordegg. I just came back from 2 nights exploring the FTR from about Caroline to the South Ram River and then over to Rocky Mountain House....

that starts right west of cochrane going north goind through waiprous correct?

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
jmeadows said:
that starts right west of cochrane going north goind through waiprous correct?

Yes, that is the area I am speaking of. The Waiparous area is very nice and there are a lot off off-road enthusiasts there. The trail to Margaret Lake is a great first trail if you don't have a lot of experience. The big downside of the area is the traffic - it gets really busy. If you want a map of the area, go here: http://www.aurs.org/

For myself, I usually avoid Waiparous. It gets too busy for me and is especially crowded on long weekends. Also a lot of the trails are deep mud and ruts, designed for the serious huge jeeps and bogging trucks - just not what my truck is designed for. I like to keep going north up towards Nordegg. It gets quieter and the view along some parts of the road is great.

Pete

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
4wd would be ideal of course what with all the snow up North a 4wd is more usefull. This should not stop you from getting out and having a good time however:wavey: Use what you've got and have fun. You should be able to add a limited slip type product if you want more traction, it would be better than nothing.

I would say that wheels and tires are a decent idea. You should be able to upgrade the wheels VERY cheaply if you shop around a bit. You might even find a nice set of newer chevy wheels AND tires. Any good LT rated truck tire with a relatively aggressive tread pattern is better than what you have. I would not spend the cash for BFG ATs as they are very expensive you may shop for a better tire value such as Nitto Terra Grapplers, Yokohama Geolander ATII, or several other less expensive brands.

You should be able to find a deal on a used truck cap too. As stated, you can set up a simple sleeping and cargo configuration under the cap.

You can get one of those Superflow MV50 12volt air compressors for around $50 at Pep Boys. They are great for the price. Air you tire pressure down for additional traction in the dirt.

91xlt

Adventurer
save the $$$ for the wheels, add new tires...the $$$ for wheels, drop in a detroit tru trac.
the maintenance items should be numero uno!
have fun!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles