Mattracks

D

DEEZLPWR

ive heard that deep powder will get ya stuck with mattracks on trucks.... but they do work on packed semi packed snow... (correct if wrong)

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Some guys around here love em'...

Personally I'd buy one of these and build a cab on it. High and low range, a bit heavy, would need a winch for sure.

I see your Venture and raise you a:

attachment.php

That's where it's at. 1/4 psi of ground pressure with 1 rider.

Rando

Explorer
I have used matt-tracks fairly extensively, and while they are okay for certain purposes I wouldn't recommend them in general. Slow speed turning is extremely hard to accomplish and is hard on your steering components. This leads to some sticky situations if there are obstacles around, if you want to be able to turn you have to negotiate them scary fast. You can only drive in low range with them on, and if you have an auto transmission overheating is a serious problem. That being said they are fine for relatively flat open areas, such as sea ice, which is where I have used them.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
This video proves two things:

A) Ken Block has more money than brains. (in case there was any doubt)

B) Mattracks can turn a pretty awesome machine into a pretty pathetic machine. The lack of cornering ability is incredible, and side-slopes must be terrifying. But, you can go through 12" of powder, downhill... so that's bonus. :rolleyes:

spencyg

This Space For Rent
When I saw the Ken Block video, I was surprised how terribly the thing performed with the Mattracks. As you said, it took a totally awesome car, killed the power, killed the steering (while at the same time undoubtedly killing the clutch and ball joints), and really didn't have enough cool points in the end to justify.

There is a guy locally who built a set of tracks for a Suzuki Samaurai out of old sled parts....uses it to tow the local trail drag. I spoke with him about it, and he said that it does the job well, but forget any dicy off-camber or deep snow work. Between the lack of power and the manners of the track system, the machine is good for about one thing...towing a drag to clean up established sled trails.

I'll take my $22k and build an Icelandic truck with 60" balloon tires....

Spence

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Already had this discussion in the LR section but... I'd rather keep my truck street legal and use the money to buy however many snowmobiles I could afford for the cost of an Icelandic setup.

michaelgroves

Explorer
I know a fair bit about Mattracks and track-conversion systems in general - I have a strong interest in the subject, including financially.

Mattracks cost about $25-$55K per set, depending on which models you want. Some of them are plumbed into your power-steering system to provide power some hydraulic rams inside the track assemblies, which raise the heel and toe of the track a bit when you are turning - makes it easier to turn. IMO, that's a huge increase in complexity, weight, expense to solve a problem that hardly exists, but I can see why they offer the option.

Track conversions are absolutely superb in a very limited range of conditions - soft ground without severe obstacles. As soon as you get out of those conditions, they start to fare very poorly when compared to tyres. Even in those conditions, they still compare poorly to dedicated tracked vehicles in terms of performance.

Their strength is in the versatility that they add to an existing fleet of trucks. If you are a utility company doing, say, powerline maintenance, with a whole lot of differently configured trucks (mobile workshops, cherry pickers, augers, etc). you can pick out the vehicle you need for a specific job, and if there is a waterlogged field you need to work in, or some environmentally sensitive ground, or snow, or whatever, you can fit a set of tracks, on-site, and get to work.

They are most certainly not go-anywhere items! They rapidly become a liability when out of their element, and then it's time to put the wheels back on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior